• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

In the 1930's the contents of Dell comics were mostly strips that were reprints of newspaper comics.

For a brief period, starting in 1939, Dell changed their policy and began running quite a few original characters in their books.

Over the next couple of weeks I thought I'd share some of my favorites with you.

Beginning with...

MARTAN THE MARVEL MAN

martan1.jpg

Popular Comics # 46 (December 1939)

Thanks BZ I've always been somewhat intrigued by the Dell SH line of that period

Me too, but I know very little about the Dell SH line - BZ, could you also please post what issues you are scanning from (thnx).

Me too, but I know very little about the Dell SH line - BZ, could you also please post what issues you are scanning from (thnx).

(thumbs u

The Martan the Marvel Man story was published in Popular Comics #46.

DR. HORMONE

There have been lots of unusual characters created for comic books through the years but Dr. Hormone has got to be one of the oddest.

The series made its debut in Popular Comics #54 (August 1940) and ran for another six issues before disappearing from the scene.

From Wikipedia:

Doctor Hormone was an elderly scientist who, having discovered the secret of life itself, injected himself with a "youth hormone" which restored his body to youthful vigor. After agents from Urasia stole his formulas from his laboratory to aid in their nation's wars against its neighbors. Doctor Hormone and his granddaughter Jane traveled to the besieged nation of Novoslavia, where he used his scientific expertise to help battle the Urasian invaders, who were using the hormones to create armies of part animal/part human men. Later, Doctor Hormone was employed as a researcher for the United States Army and worked in a laboratory at Fort Knox.

Doctor Hormone was later summoned by a disembodied voice called The Thinker who temporarily endowed him with superhuman powers to fight off an invasion of Texas by the Nazians. Then, The Thinker lured Doctor Hormone and Jane into a mysterious gorge where they descended into The Chaos and fell into a state of suspended animation. The character has not appeared since.

Doctor Hormone was a scientific genius who developed powerful "hormones" which were capable of creating great changes in the human body, including restoring youth and transforming people into animals or bizarre human-animal hybrids.

hormone1.jpg

Popular Comics #55 (September 1940)