• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Famous quotes by Captain Tornado...

"Lucky I made this gun a repeater."

"That can't be anything human so I'll just play safe and let him have a taste of hot lead."

Just great stuff!

Famous quotes by Captain Tornado...

"That can't be anything human so I'll just play safe and let him have a taste of hot lead."

Since the new bullets are made of glass will Tornado soon be saying "let him have a taste of hot glass?"

glass.jpg

That's BZ's cue to post the "Curse of Capistrano" All-Story. :whistle:

lol

Actually, I thought I'd post something pertaining to Alex Toth who was the illustrator of many of my favorite Zorro comics when I was a child.

I corresponded with him briefly in 1972 or 1973 while I was compiling a checklist of his work.

Here's an excerpt from one of his letters.

Before my “Heroic” days, I did a page (penciled only, I believe) for an editor named ‘Kapitan’, at “Funnies, Inc.”, or Lloyd Jacquet Studios – it was teen humor, or some such, just one page.

Skipping to pre ’54 days, while I was at Lev Gleason’s, I did a few romance jobs for them (was that the ‘Atlas’ title I see on your lists?) (I can’t remember ‘Atlas’, at all.) Anyhoo, I inked ‘em, too – they were clean, simple jobs, and some of the best I ever did- then: I was drafted and never quite found again the crisp, open style I’d used on those romance stories.

In ’56, after the army service, I did one or two western jobs for Stan Lee- that’s all. My own inks.

Then I joined Western/Whitman in L.A., to do ‘Dell’ books- and while there…I illustrated “Lone Ranger” and other coloring books for ‘em, and a Golden Book of “Maverick”, two-color illos thru out. Plus, a slew of ad booklets for Union ’76 Gas Co. (sports) profiles of top athletes, like Y.A. Tittle, etc… and things for American Dairy Council, and some “you Are There” and “20th Century” booklets (based on those CBS-TV series) …but not sure of who the client was?? Might’ve been one of the insurance companies…?

Recently painted two covers for Charlton’s “Real West” pulp mag.

Doing another for a forthcoming “Film Journal” mag.

I “ghosted” a few Dan Barry comic jobs for Ziff-Davis comic titles (mystery/sci-fi types) back in the early ‘50s –one story had to do with a “Fisherman of Space” or some such rot. Fish nets from above- etc…

May’ve done a romance or two, also.

I “ghosted” a movie ad for “Les Miserables” for Barry (in the 50’s) (pencils only) appeared in Sunday comic sections. Done in strip technique, Barry inked it, himself, changed it as he did so, too… not much, tho.

I also helped “ghost” (along with a gang of artists) one of Barry’s “Vigilante’s… it was an overnight thing, literally- everyone in New York helped crank it out. Coffee and sandwiches all night/morning long …we did it- in time for 10:00 AM delivery to DC’s editor. 8 or 10 pages, dunno. We penciled, inked, etc, etc… Belfi, Sy Barry, Roussos, Giacoia, Infantino, etc,etc..

I “ghosted” about a month of “Roy Rogers” dailies in ’60 or ’61- can’t remember for sure. Taking off Mike Arens’ style. Not easy.

I don’t see listing of my “Range Rider” westerns, (for ‘Dell) circa 1956

I did “Sugarfoot” a few copies…

Walt Disney produced a series of propaganda films for the government during WWII.

In 1942 Disney produced this short film for the US Department of Agriculture. It stresses the importance of high American agricultural output.