• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

WeirdFantasy17_7.jpg

WOW. What a story. Was there ever such a writer as Ray Bradbury? Was there ever such an artist as Wally Wood?

No people in the story, but the narrative and illustrations are riveting. Will we ever see the likes of these giants again?

A few Bradbury items from my collection:

Dark Carnival. Arkham House 1947. Ray's first book - a collection of short stories.

File0003-1.jpg

Weird Science 18. Mars is Heaven. Autographed by Ray, Gaines, Feldstein and Woody.

File0001-3.jpg

Wastebasket Vol. 1 No. 3 - 1950. Obscure fanzine with an early bio of Ray.

File0002-2.jpg

Sweetness and Light Vol. 2 No. 1. Spring 1940. Rare fanzine with a short story by a 19-year-old Ray Bradbury. Please note the covers are by GA artist Jim Mooney.

File0004-1.jpg

Polaris Vol 1 No. 3. June 1940. Another rare fanzine with Ray's very early work, and an article by Forrey Ackerman.

File0005-1.jpg

Dark Carnival. Arkham House 1947. Ray's first book - a collection of short stories.

File0003-1.jpg

Weird Science 18. Mars is Heaven. Autographed by Ray, Gaines, Feldstein and Woody.

File0001-3.jpg

File0002-2.jpg

Sweetness and Light Vol. 2 No. 1. Spring 1940. Rare fanzine with a short story by a 19-year-old Ray Bradbury. Please note the covers are by GA artist Jim Mooney.

File0004-1.jpg

Polaris Vol 1 No. 3. June 1940. Another rare fanzine with Ray's very early work, and an article by Forrey Ackerman.

File0005-1.jpg

...and an article by my friend who passed away a few years ago, author and first fandom great Wilson Bob Tucker! (worship)

File0003-1.jpg

File0001-3.jpg

File0002-2.jpg

File0004-1.jpg

File0005-1.jpg

Wonderful items, Gary. :applause:

I've never owned a copy of Dark Carnival. :sumo:

The fanzines and the EC comic are incredible. :luhv:

The last article from Ray Bradbury :(

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/06/04/120604fa_fact_bradbury

When I was seven or eight years old, I began to read the science-fiction magazines that were brought by guests into my grandparents’ boarding house, in Waukegan, Illinois. Those were the years when Hugo Gernsback was publishing Amazing Stories, with vivid, appallingly imaginative cover paintings that fed my hungry imagination. Soon after, the creative beast in me grew when Buck Rogers appeared, in 1928, and I think I went a trifle mad that autumn. It’s the only way to describe the intensity with which I devoured the stories. You rarely have such fevers later in life that fill your entire day with emotion.

Thanks for the link. (thumbs u

Here is another of Bradbury's reminiscences from the article:

My next madness happened in 1931, when Harold Foster’s first series of Sunday color panels based on Edgar Rice Burroughs’s “Tarzan” appeared, and I simultaneously discovered, next door at my uncle Bion’s house, the “John Carter of Mars” books. I know that “The Martian Chronicles” would never have happened if Burroughs hadn’t had an impact on my life at that time.

Just discovered this thread a week or so ago. Very impressive stuff you have BangZoom. Very much enjoy your sharing it with folks. An esoteric title folks might get a kick out of is Blazing Comics. The heroe in that title is the Green Turtle. The covers are fairly plain, but the splash page in issue #1 is a golden age goodie.

Thanks again for such an entertaining thread.

Just discovered this thread a week or so ago. Very impressive stuff you have BangZoom. Very much enjoy your sharing it with folks. An esoteric title folks might get a kick out of is Blazing Comics. The heroe in that title is the Green Turtle. The covers are fairly plain, but the splash page in issue #1 is a golden age goodie.

I like the Green Turtle covers.

2568025986_02acfa3902_z.jpg

Thanks, Et-Es-Go.

I don't have any Blazing Comics in my collection but as the owner of a couple of pet turtles, I am inclined to think that any character with the name Green Turtle has got to be good. :)

I like the Green Turtle covers.

2568025986_02acfa3902_z.jpg

Very nice. :applause:

Am I remembering correctly that you posted a couple of pages from a Green Turtle story a couple of years ago? I recall a cool splash that is likely the one Et-Es-Go said was in issue #1.