• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

201236c.jpg

2012_36.jpg

2012_36b.jpg

Crash Comics #2

crash2.jpg

^^

Congratulations, Bill. :applause:

That win put you in a tie for 1st place. cheers.gif

Pop Quiz Scorecard

ciorac: 6

rockman2008: 6

pcalhoun: 5

Scrooge: 4

selegue: 4

Flee-Marquette: 3

Theagenes: 2

MrBedrock: 2

RedFury : 2

ft88 : 1

walclark : 1

jpepx78: 1

adamstrange: 1

BB-Gun: 1

Baz: 1

7988598264_098dd0f12c_b.jpg

Fox had a lot to say back in the golden age. He barely left room for the heroes.

That looks like an interesting story.

I don't usually think of DC comics as being quite so politicized.

7996332323_e2277be4dd_c.jpg

7996334385_558fa2f2b5_c.jpg

First adventure of the JSA focused on cleaning up that Rat's Nest in Toledo, Ohio.

According to the Wikipedia, most of the German-American Bund activities were in NY, NJ and PA. Perhaps the action in the Midwest didn't get the publicity that Fox thought it should.

Fritz Kuhn may be the real-life model for Klaver and his headquarters was in Chicago.

Toledo is also known as the "Bowling Capital of the World".

Edited by BB-Gun

Just went to a concert with Rory Block and heard that her father's first wife had an affair with Bill Steig. Can't trust those cartoonists, I guess.

Also found a note on line that a local museum has a collection of cartoons by him. These go along with the paintings and cartoons by Sendak, Wyeth, Pyle and others. See note below.

So astonishing is the broad range and deep humanity of William Steig's cartoons, 107 of which are now on display at the Brandywine River Museum, that they could have been mistaken momentarily for a batch of very sensitive material suddenly declassified. Instead, they're being celebrated in "Comic Catharsis: A Gift of Cartoons by William Steig."

Edited by BB-Gun

Just went to a concert with Rory Block and heard that her father's first wife had an affair with Bill Steig. Can't trust those cartoonists, I guess.

Also found a note on line that a local museum has a collection of cartoons by him. These go along with the paintings and cartoons by Sendak, Wyeth, Pyle and others. See note below.

So astonishing is the broad range and deep humanity of William Steig's cartoons, 107 of which are now on display at the Brandywine River Museum, that they could have been mistaken momentarily for a batch of very sensitive material suddenly declassified. Instead, they're being celebrated in "Comic Catharsis: A Gift of Cartoons by William Steig."

I visited The Brandywine Museum many years ago and had a great time. It's a beautiful area around there.

I've got a bunch of William Steig books in my collection. I especially enjoy his cartoons about childhood.

Here are a few from his "Dreams of Glory" series which was reprinted in The Steig Album.

dreamsofglory1.jpg

dreamsofglory2.jpg

dreamsofglory3.jpg

I visited The Brandywine Museum many years ago and had a great time. It's a beautiful area around there.

I've got a bunch of William Steig books in my collection. I especially enjoy his cartoons about childhood.

Here are a few from his "Dreams of Glory" series which was reprinted in The Steig Album.

dreamsofglory1.jpg

dreamsofglory2.jpg

dreamsofglory3.jpg

I visit the Brandywine museum every year to see the model train exhibit and Christmas cartoons and paintings. I hope the Bill Steig exhibit is set up the next time I visit.

Thanks for posting those cartoons. I thought you might have some in the BZ archives. Lots of cartoons are available on the internet but his books seem to have a selection of the best. (worship)

I don't know if you read Ken Quattro's blog but you would enjoy his recent piece on board favorite E.C. Stoner. Haven't read it yet myself but figured I'd pass the info along.

E.C. Stoner, The Forgotten Trailblazer

Great piece about Stoner. :applause:

I especially got a kick out of the Gordon's Gin ad from Ebony Magazine that pictured Stoner and his wife at home. Link

Here are a few of Stoner's illustrations to jog everyone's memories about his work.

witchestales1.jpg

Witches Tales #1 (November 1936)

witchestales2.jpg

Funnies45GA.jpg

The Funnies # 45 (July 1940)

funnies46ga.jpg

The Funnies # 46 (August 1940)

Funnies47GA.jpg

The Funnies #47 (September 1940)

Funnies48GA.jpg

The Funnies #48 (October 1940)

As comixnoir mentioned in the "cover ONLY" thread, this guy definitely had a wardrobe malfunction doh!

That said, I really enjoyed digging up this post and reading about EC Stoner and his historical significance in comics. I also recently picked up a few War Comics / War Stories (Dell), and the "Night Devils" stories are really quite good. Though Stoner didn't do the cover on this one...:

WarComics_4_Front_CGC_80_GA0001-1.jpg

He did do the interiors and his Night Devils art and stories were compelling enough for me and the characters seemed very cool.

1593502-nightdevils2.jpg

stonerwarstories5pg4.jpg