• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

War Heroes had some nifty back covers.

warheroes3bc.jpg

warheroes6bc.jpg

warheroes7bc.jpg

War Heroes #3 (January-March 1943)

Very cool! Thanks for pointing out the War Heroes series to me (not seen it before, but I'm just starting to try to learn more about the early Golden Age war comics.)

These back covers are sweet! Each of the three captures a compelling message and perspective on the challenges of the time period. I really do dig the painted covers, and these are no exception.

And, speaking of painted covers, this one arrived at my doorstep just today (I'm now halfway complete with my War Comics / War Stories run):

War_Stories_8.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Sure, they are repro'ed.

The United Nations "Unity is Strength" is seen signed on the back cover by F. Seibel who is:

"Frederick Otto Seibel was born in Durhamville, New York, on 8 October 1886 and died in Richmond, Virginia on 19 June 1968. Siebel spent his childhood drawing sketches of the Erie Canal. He was married with no children. After Attending classes at the Art Students League in New York City for a short time. Seibel started his own commercial art business in the early years of the twentieth century. His first cartoon was printed in the Oneida Dispatch in 1908. He began his career as a cartoonist in 1916 for the Knickerbocker Press in Albany, New York. Seibel moved to Virginia in 1926 to become an editorial cartoonist for the Richmond Times-Dispatch and has been there for over thirty years. He did several shows at Metropolitan Museum Of New York, Art Institute of Chicago and Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. A biography is contained in the Spring 1977 of the Virginia Cavalcade (included in Box 1). Fred O. Seibel died in 1968 after completing nearly 16,000 cartoons. Most famous cartoon "Retreat from Moscow" (11-5-1936) depicting presidential candidate Alfred E. Smith as Napoleon after FDR's landslide victory in 1936."

His papers are housed here.

He also did this one -

someone_talked.jpg

warheroes7bc.jpg

War Heroes #7 (January-March 1944)

I'm certain this was a poster at the time. Maybe the others as well?

I'd assume the poster art came first but just a guess.

I think you're probably right about the United Nations and the Coast Guard images, but I'd guess that the illustration used on the back cover of War Heroes #3 was drawn by a Dell artist. Maybe the same artist that drew the covers to issue #'s 4, 6, and 7.

While we're on the subject of the United Nations, I thought I'd post a couple of posters from my collection.

These two posters date from 1945 when representatives of 50 countries met in San Francisco to draw up the United Nations Charter.

unitednations.jpg

unitednations2.jpg

While we're on the subject of the United Nations, I thought I'd post a couple of posters from my collection.

These two posters date from 1945 when representatives of 50 countries met in San Francisco to draw up the United Nations Charter.

unitednations.jpg

unitednations2.jpg

Those are so cool. Even after all these years of posting your collection still has so many surprises!

I found this little item in War Heroes #4.

mickeymorgan.jpg

Curious about Mickey Morgan, a quick google search resulted in my finding this 1942 article about Morgan which also mentions DC Comics publisher Major Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson.

bat-men.jpg