• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

I was happy to learn recently that fellow board member Brad Ricca's long awaited book about Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster is going to be published soon.

51%2Bw9URnUdL._SY380_.jpg

Congratulations, Brad. :applause: I'm looking forward to reading the book.

On a related note, this might be a good time to show off this 1933 postcard from Jerry Siegel to Forrest Ackerman in which Jerry comments about various aspects regarding the publication of his fanzine SCIENCE FICTION and wherein he acknowledges that Herbert S. Fine (the credited author of "The Reign of the Superman" in issue #3) is indeed one of his pseudonyms.

His line about "having more pseudonyms than a centipede has legs" is amusing. For those not familiar with Siegel's history in SF fandom, it has long been known that he used various pen names for his assorted writing efforts. In addition, it has been written that he wrote letters of comment to the editor that were published in AMAZING STORIES while using the alias Bernard J. Kenton.

JERRYSIEGELCARD.jpg

JERRYSIEGELCARD2.jpg

Welcome back, BZ :applause:

I have two issues of Weird Tales that were owned by Hamilton and Brackett. Inside the front covers are stamps with their names. It's pretty cool to think these books once resided in their library.

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252033%2520No%25205%2520May%25201939.jpg

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252034%2520No%25202%2520Aug%25201939.jpg

I was happy to learn recently that fellow board member Brad Ricca's long awaited book about Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster is going to be published soon.

51%2Bw9URnUdL._SY380_.jpg

Congratulations, Brad. :applause: I'm looking forward to reading the book.

On a related note, this might be a good time to show off this 1933 postcard from Jerry Siegel to Forrest Ackerman in which Jerry comments about various aspects regarding the publication of his fanzine SCIENCE FICTION and wherein he acknowledges that Herbert S. Fine (the credited author of "The Reign of the Superman" in issue #3) is indeed one of his pseudonyms.

His line about "having more pseudonyms than a centipede has legs" is amusing. For those not familiar with Siegel's history in SF fandom, it has long been known that he used various pen names for his assorted writing efforts. In addition, it has been written that he wrote letters of comment to the editor that were published in AMAZING STORIES while using the alias Bernard J. Kenton.

JERRYSIEGELCARD.jpg

JERRYSIEGELCARD2.jpg

That's very cool! :applause:

I have two issues of Weird Tales that were owned by Hamilton and Brackett. Inside the front covers are stamps with their names. It's pretty cool to think these books once resided in their library.

That is such a cool association, Todd.

There was a great paper on Leigh Brackett by David Schappert in my Anthropology in the Pulps panel at PCA last week. That's him in the middle, while I'm on the right waxing academic about Bran Mak Morn with a cool Virgil Finlay illo on the big screen.

pcapanel.jpg

Edited by Theagenes

That's way cool. :applause: ...and it's pretty nice that they're both in such great shape.

Harold DeLay, the cover artist for the May Weird Tales, also did some work for Centaur and Novelty Press.

Here are a few of his comic covers: Link

Am I getting predictable? lol

Speaking of REH, here's a recent pick-up that some readers of this thread might find interesting. It's from the Not at Night series, a British anthology title which reprinted stories from Weird Tales. This one from 1934 has the first appearance of Conan in book form.

TerrorbyNight001_zps78fb6237.jpg

TerrorbyNight002_zpse733f290.jpg

TerrorbyNight003_zpsc684c51d.jpg

Edited by Theagenes

Speaking of REH, here's a recent pick-up that some readers of this thread might find interesting. It's from the Not at Night series, a British anthology title which reprinted stories from Weird Tales. This one from 1934 has the first appearance of Conan in book form.

TerrorbyNight001_zps78fb6237.jpg

Fantastic. :applause:

Did the series reprint stories from any American pulps other than Weird Tales?

I read on the Gruesome Cargoes website the following:

The Not At Nights: About

Originally intended as a one off collection, the series was such a success that Christine Campbell Thomson wound up editing eleven volumes and an omnibus between 1925 and 1937. In all, there were 170 stories and, according to noted fantasy bibliographer Mike Ashley, exactly 100 of these came from the legendary American pulp Weird Tales.

I think most of the other stories, by Cook and a few others were British writers, but in searching some of the names and titles I haven't seen them published anywhere else previously.

Pat, you've got one don't you?