• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I think most of the other stories, by Cook and a few others were British writers, but in searching some of the names and titles I haven't seen them published anywhere else previously.

I had the same problem.

For example, who is Hester G. Holland?

img700.jpg

If the stories are as listed on the Guide to Supernatural Fiction page...

You'll Need a Nightlight, Selwyn & Blount (London), 1927

"The Last Horror" by F. Colter, "The Life Serum" by P.S. Powers, "The Girdle" by J. McCord, "St Urag of the Tail" by O. Cook, "The Beast" by P. Benton, "His Wife" by Z. I. Ponder, "Laocoon" by B. Morgan, "Out of the Earth," Flavia Richardson, "Ti Michel" by W. J. Stamper, "The House of Horror" by S. Quinn, "The Coffin of Lissa" by A. W. Derleth, "The Parasitic Hand" by R. Anthony, "The Death Crescents of Koti" by R. Poole, "Ghosts of the Air" by J. M. Hiatt & M. W. Stephens, "The Horror at Red Hook" by H. P. Lovecraft.

I can confirm that all, with the exception the Z.I. Ponder tale, which I can't find, all were originally published in Weird Tales.

I wonder who is Ponder?

usedbooks6.jpg

usedbooks11.jpg

I have many of those but haven't seen the Krazy Kat and Lulu. They would be some good reading. Was it the LCS or the book store at the mall?

Neither, it was a 2nd hand book shop. The Little Lulu books were $2.70 each and the Krazy Kats were $4.05 each.

How could I resist? :luhv:

Hey look!

I went to a local used book store and found this great group of books for sale. confetti.gif

usedbooks2.jpg

usedbooks3.jpg

Great haul there BZ.. I have the Supermen and the Goulart... Mike Benton also did a wonderful series, called "An Illustrated History", where he did a book for each comic book genre. I recently completed the series. They're full of great images.

Edited by Twistty1

I visited The Brandywine Museum many years ago and had a great time. It's a beautiful area around there.

I've got a bunch of William Steig books in my collection. I especially enjoy his cartoons about childhood.

Here are a few from his "Dreams of Glory" series which was reprinted in The Steig Album.

dreamsofglory1.jpg

dreamsofglory2.jpg

dreamsofglory3.jpg

Since seeing this post, I've become a rabid Steig collector. His cartoons are great - and I also like his advertising work from the 40's and 50's.

Here are a couple of Kellogg's newspaper ads from 1947, featuring his famous "Small Fry" - maybe the closest Steig ever got to doing a real comic strip!

5ca7a00ff2253850d5fc217d469a5cc8.jpg

7784ae77f1278ead08952628941bea98.jpg

usedbooks6.jpg

usedbooks11.jpg

I have many of those but haven't seen the Krazy Kat and Lulu. They would be some good reading. Was it the LCS or the book store at the mall?

Neither, it was a 2nd hand book shop. The Little Lulu books were $2.70 each and the Krazy Kats were $4.05 each.

How could I resist? :luhv:

Guess I will have to be happy with reading old issues of Ace.

8649201851_d4e794336b_c.jpg

8649201391_843b67289b_c.jpg

Here are a couple of Kellogg's newspaper ads from 1947, featuring his famous "Small Fry" - maybe the closest Steig ever got to doing a real comic strip

5ca7a00ff2253850d5fc217d469a5cc8.jpg

7784ae77f1278ead08952628941bea98.jpg

Thanks for posting those ads :applause:

I'd never seen them before.

Another old time cartoonist whose work I enjoy is Virgil Partch.

Amazon has announced the upcoming release of a book about him.

61sNhucs58L._SX285_.jpg

Amazon Link

Only a few months after the devastating attack on Pearl Harbor and the same year that Albert Camus offered the world his bleak vision of man’s existence by introducing his philosophical dictum of The Absurd, Virgil Partch burst onto the scene with his own twist on the phrase. Partch was a cartoonist who offered comic counterpoint to the grim headlines and a unique perspective on human nature in the pages of the nation’s most popular magazines. Known to millions by his jazzy signature, VIP, this comic genius ushered in a new era of the gag cartoon—zany, sometimes surreal, always hilarious—that inspired a generation of fellow cartoonists starting in the 1940s and ’50s. His madcap style of humor was reflected in the cutting-edge comedic sensibilities of Burns & Allen, Jack Benny, Ernie Kovacs, Bob & Ray, Stan Freberg, and Jean Shepherd, and would position Partch as one of the most prolific “gag-men” of his day. VIP contributed to an astonishing array of magazines, wrote gags for other cartoonists, illustrated books, album covers, and advertisements, and adorned merchandise including, appropriately, cocktail glasses. VIP: The Mad World of Virgil Partch is the first time Partch’s life and career has been treated in full, collecting amazing artwork from the entire range of his inspired career and featuring his own writings. Reprinted from original art, primary-source publications, and collectors’ and family archives, VIP’s place in the world of cartooning and humor can finally be fully appreciated in this beautiful coffee-table volume. 120 pages of full color illustrations and 120 pages of black and white illustrations