• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I found several ads for S-F -- but not that Amazing Stories one -- and I looked. BZ?

I've looked and never found that alledged ad in AMAZING STORIES. (shrug)

However, here are a couple of Siegel's listings for SCIENCE FICTION in trade publications.

From a 1932 issue of THE EDITOR:

TheEditor.jpg

...and from THE AUTHOR & JOURNALIST

AuthorAndJournalist.jpg

I found several ads for S-F -- but not that Amazing Stories one -- and I looked. BZ?

I've looked and never found that alledged ad in AMAZING STORIES. (shrug)

However, here are a couple of Siegel's listings for SCIENCE FICTION in trade publications.

From a 1932 issue of THE EDITOR:

TheEditor.jpg

...and from THE AUTHOR & JOURNALIST

AuthorAndJournalist.jpg

Every time I see a Siegel piece of prose from this era, I admire how literate he was even at this (early) stage of his career.

Couple of questions:

Is the business regarding a water glass and silicic acid a specific "in-joke" of the period, or simply Siegel's imaginative way of discouraging additions to the slush pile?

and

Is the expression "radio the stories back" a slang expression back in the day that just means the item will be mailed back? From the context it was, but I'd love to know what the background of the evolution of the term is/was.

Couple of questions:

Is the business regarding a water glass and silicic acid a specific "in-joke" of the period, or simply Siegel's imaginative way of discouraging additions to the slush pile?

My own guess is that Siegel was satirizing the practice of pulp authors who frequently padded their stories word count with purple prose.

Is the expression "radio the stories back" a slang expression back in the day that just means the item will be mailed back? From the context it was, but I'd love to know what the background of the evolution of the term is/was.

I've never heard of that term prior to this example. Maybe Siegel simply made it up.

Bernard Kenton is a creation of his imagination, so making up his own slang words probably wouldn't have been too much of a challenge for his fertile mind. (shrug)

Maybe Brad Ricca's upcoming book will answer some of these questions.

I'm no chemist and don't wish to appear pedantic, but shouldn't he have written salicylic acid?

I'm no chemist and don't wish to appear pedantic, but shouldn't he have written salicylic acid?

Both exist. Silicic acid :shrug:

This past weekend I read an interview with Craig Yoe about his new book

Comics about Cartoonists.

511sq7h9SiL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Craig's enthusiasm for a Vince Napoli story that is reprinted in the book piqued my interest so I tracked down some scans for it that are available at DCM.

I especially liked the reference to other cartoonists who were working in the field at the time.

Ed Goldfarb , Bob Baer , Harry Harrison , Ernie Bache , Steve Kirkel

mydaddypanels.jpg

Pardon if this has been announced previously, but after several delays The Alluring Art of Margaret Brundage has (finally) been published (Vanguard) - picked up a copy at my local shop today.

Pardon if this has been announced previously, but after several delays The Alluring Art of Margaret Brundage has (finally) been published (Vanguard) - picked up a copy at my local shop today.

I'm happy to hear it's finally available. :applause:

This might be an appropriate time to repost a couple of old scans of mine. :shy:

Brundage's first published cover.

Oriental Stories (Spring 1932)

orientalstories1932spring.jpg

and her first Weird Tales cover.

weirdtales1932_09.jpg

Weird Tales (September 1932)

Unfortunately several editing errors crept in, but still this book is going to be a treasured resource for all the background information on the artist and for all the full page color spreads.

This might be an appropriate time to repost a couple of old scans of mine. :shy:

Brundage's first published cover.

Oriental Stories (Spring 1932)

orientalstories1932spring.jpg

and her first Weird Tales cover.

weirdtales1932_09.jpg

Weird Tales (September 1932)

Gorgeous. I've been looking for a decent copy of that Oriental Stories issue for some time now.

The original for that one still survives. I got to see it a few years ago. :cloud9:

How were you able to get a look at it?

At an SF art exhibit in Orlando. Went with several boardies during Megacon. It was pretty amazing actually. Here's a write up I did about it for The Cimmerian blog:

http://www.thecimmerian.com/maidens-and-monsters-masters-of-science-fiction-and-fantasy-art-on-display/