• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Here's that better pic Rich sent me. I had a great time as always! And Gator, that sounds like a fun road trip. :)

JeffShanks06042013.jpg

Rich,

Amazing early books and this material is simply never seen; particularly in the condition you have! Thanks for sharing.

Frank

Pat,

We fell in love with the work of David Walsh, a bowl maker in Dover, PA, who does exceptional work. We live in a cypress home in the woods so it just seemed like a natural extension to collect wooden art. We have probably bought over 100 pieces of his work over the last decade and have become good friends, each visiting the other. Dave used to sell in the Smithsonian Gallery but decided to move to eBay, avoids the big fees, and makes his work more available. Check him out on eBay searching for "Walsh Wood." If you want a professionally turned piece of art at a reasonable price (compared to big name galleries) I don't think you can do any better than David Walsh. No carvings, just turnings.

Richard

Please note that in Jeff's first picture from Cross Plains that he and his group managed to find some John L. Sullivan Irish Whiskey to help them get through the week!

The 10-year too. Bob Howard would no doubt approve on many levels. :)

I was very honor to received an award last night for an article I wrote called "Hyborian Age Archaeology."

tvkiHP5.jpg

Congratulations, Jeff. :applause:

...... now for the Movie......" Indiana Theagenes and the Crypt of Thoth-Amon"........... congrats and GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I was very honor to received an award last night for an article I wrote called "Hyborian Age Archaeology."

tvkiHP5.jpg

That's awesome. Great to see it recognized when someone puts time and effort into writing a quality paper. Do you have a link?

Thanks guys! I had an awesome time. Truman and Lansdale were really cool guys and a lot of fun.

[font:Times New Roman]Joe Lansdale is one of the coolest guys on the planet.

Over a decade ago, my wife was on a "How to Get Published" panel with Joe and several other authors at a convention which now eludes my memory. At the time she'd published about ten novels, all stand-alone paperbacks of modest success.

In the ensuing panel discussion Joe asked her what she was currently working on. Rox (Rachel) mentioned that she'd been toying with an idea for a fantasy series involving Jinn (genies) who can control the weather, but didn't know if the idea would sell. Joe looked at her incredulously and said (paraphrased): "That's a great idea, I wish I'd thought of that."

She went on to sell that series to Penguin, and the break-out success of the Weather Warden novels turned out to be Rachel Caine's first hit series.

Joe is one of the best; I'm glad you had a chance to meet him.[/font] :applause:

Thanks guys! I had an awesome time. Truman and Lansdale were really cool guys and a lot of fun.

[font:Times New Roman]Joe Lansdale is one of the coolest guys on the planet.

Over a decade ago, my wife was on a "How to Get Published" panel with Joe and several other authors at a convention which now eludes my memory. At the time she'd published about ten novels, all stand-alone paperbacks of modest success.

In the ensuing panel discussion Joe asked her what she was currently working on. Rox (Rachel) mentioned that she'd been toying with an idea for a fantasy series involving Jinn (genies) who can control the weather, but didn't know if the idea would sell. Joe looked at her incredulously and said (paraphrased): "That's a great idea, I wish I'd thought of that."

She went on to sell that series to Penguin, and the break-out success of the Weather Warden novels turned out to be Rachel Caine's first hit series.

Joe is one of the best; I'm glad you had a chance to meet him.[/font] :applause:

What a great story and so true about Joe. He's so down to earth and gracious but with a wonderfully irreverent sense of humor. What's cool is that I not only got to meet him, but hang out all weekend. That's the great thing about Howard Days -- much more intimate than a regular con.

I'm going to get to meet him again later this year at Worldcon as we'll be on a Weird Westerns panel together.