• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I was very honor to received an award last night for an article I wrote called "Hyborian Age Archaeology."

tvkiHP5.jpg

Congrats Jeff! Great to see your efforts being recognized like that! :applause:

Thanks Todd!

Here's a picture of the boxing panel at the site of the old ice house. This was where they kept the beer cold and hidden during prohibition and where Howard would lace up the gloves and take on the local farmhands and oil field roughnecks.

Here Mark Finn reads Sailor Steve Costigan story in hilarious dialect while I pass out some of my Fight Stories pulps for the crowd to look at. That's Joe in the bottom right.

1004566_10201388851626163_1678942663_n.jpg

Here's a couple more pics of the comics panel. Tim Truman is checking out my Prince Valiant Feature Book 26 as we both go into fanboy mode discussing Hal Foster.

1001047_10201388801744916_2029966077_n.jpg

601946_10201388810785142_759565985_n.jpg

Edited by Theagenes

Thanks Todd!

Here's a picture of the boxing panel at the site of the old ice house. This was where they kept the beer cold and hidden during prohibition and where Howard would lace up the gloves and take on the local farmhands and oil field roughnecks.

Here Mark Finn reads Sailor Steve Costigan story in hilarious dialect while I pass out some of my Fight Stories pulps for the crowd to look at. That's Joe in the bottom right.

1004566_10201388851626163_1678942663_n.jpg

Looks like a blast Jeff! Where o Where is your famous hat??!!!

Here is an observation I have made over the past few years about the first Buck Rogers cover in Amazing Stories--they aren't all the same. They almost are, but here is the difference. The cover started off with a nice purple background, but during the press run, the purple started to get lighter and lighter, and eventually it disappeared. I have a purple copy, and I have a white copy, and they are at the bottom of this note. I think what must have happened is that the run started off fine, the color started to run out, and Hugo must have decided that he would just keep the presses rolling to meet his contracts. The color isn't just faded, it is gone. I have watched this issue on eBay for several years now and I have seen all shades of purple and even other white issues, so I am confident that it was a production issue. It really isn't any big deal but I thought it was kind of interesting and wanted to share it with other Buck Rogers and/or Amazing Stories collectors..

I might add that this is relevant only in that Jeff spent last night here and we were looking at the covers and he encouraged me to post them.

GkMuLwy.jpg

LhYzPlS.jpg

Edited by Yellow Kid

Just guessing, I bet it happened more than once back in the 1920's or earlier. An easy check would be to look for pulps with white backgrounds and then see if other copies of the same issue had a non-white background. I don't collect pulps, and just have a few issues as they relate to other interests, so I don't have the experience to know, but if it happened once, I bet it happened more than once.

A quick Google image search shows a couple of copies that fill in a larger continuum between a all purple background, barely starting to lost ink in the same pattern as left side lighter streak on the purple cover above, uniformly losing ink so the purple is almost entirely washed out, and the white background above.

Amazing Stories seemed to have a problem maintaining consistent quality control. I remember sacentaur mentioned a particular issue he owned that was entirely printed on slick paper stock. My own copy had about 40 pages printed on the slick stock and the remainder of the pages were printed on regular pulp paper.

Rolled into Cross Plains last night where I found a few of my other early bird friends. It didn't talk long for the pulps and Irish whiskey to come out.

Jeff, were any of the attendees at the Howard event able to provide you with any new bits of knowledge about the history of Conan comics in Mexico?

I have a purple copy, and I have a white copy, and they are at the bottom of this note.

Very interesting Rich, thanks for posting the comparison pictures.

Anything is possible with pulps, I suppose. Never owned this issue, but I don't recall seeing a white cover before.

I remember sacentaur mentioned a particular issue he owned that was entirely printed on slick paper stock. My own copy had about 40 pages printed on the slick stock and the remainder of the pages were printed on regular pulp paper.

Yes - there can be any number of reasons for such an occurrence, but the variation was verified.

Here is an observation I have made over the past few years about the first Buck Rogers cover in Amazing Stories--they aren't all the same. They almost are, but here is the difference. The cover started off with a nice purple background, but during the press run, the purple started to get lighter and lighter, and eventually it disappeared. I have a purple copy, and I have a white copy, and they are at the bottom of this note. I think what must have happened is that the run started off fine, the color started to run out, and Hugo must have decided that he would just keep the presses rolling to meet his contracts. The color isn't just faded, it is gone. I have watched this issue on eBay for several years now and I have seen all shades of purple and even other white issues, so I am confident that it was a production issue. It really isn't any big deal but I thought it was kind of interesting and wanted to share it with other Buck Rogers and/or Amazing Stories collectors..

I might add that this is relevant only in that Jeff spent last night here and we were looking at the covers and he encouraged me to post them.

GkMuLwy.jpg

LhYzPlS.jpg

I've never seen a white copy before! Rich always has the neatest things :hi:

GkMuLwy.jpg

LhYzPlS.jpg

I've never seen a white copy before! Rich always has the neatest things :hi:

It's really odd for it to do this. The cyan seems to stay (relatively) consistent through the run. Even if the magenta fades, as evidenced by the red in the logo, you should still have a light cyan background where the white is. It's almost like the purple was run as a fifth (spot) color, though, that makes little sense for a cheap pulp. For somebody that has the purple copy, if you look at it under a loupe or a magnifying glass, do you see magenta and cyan dots in that area, or purple dots?

It's really odd for it to do this. The cyan seems to stay (relatively) consistent through the run. Even if the magenta fades, as evidenced by the red in the logo, you should still have a light cyan background where the white is. It's almost like the purple was run as a fifth (spot) color, though, that makes little sense for a cheap pulp. For somebody that has the purple copy, if you look at it under a loupe or a magnifying glass, do you see magenta and cyan dots in that area, or purple dots?

It's only purple.

amazingstoriesdetail.jpg

I used Photoshop to magnify my file 3200% and the pixels are purple, which surprised me. However, that would more readily support the idea that "the purple ran out."
That's more consistent with the rest of the image. I'm surprised they went to the expense of a fifth color.