• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

the Bergey cover is nice enough

It is, but Paul's cover is, at least to me, much more special.

Frank Paul's artwork is so different than anything being produced by artists of later generations; I just have to go gaga over it. :luhv:

Here is the cover to the issue where "Vandals of the Void" was published.

:cloud9:

wonderstoriessummer1931.jpg

Wonder Stories Quarterly (Summer 1931)

yes the Wonder Q is nice, can't complain about Klarkash-ton getting the FP treatment... But the Fantastic Story has VV on cov (the illo you showed = same image), and Earle's design is cool, and I'm an early 50s freak, especially fond of classic reprints, and at VG for $16 delivered snuck it through on household funds...

Is the Wonder Q bedsheet or just 'fat' ?

the Bergey cover is nice enough

It is, but Paul's cover is, at least to me, much more special.

Frank Paul's artwork is so different than anything being produced by artists of later generations; I just have to go gaga over it. :luhv:

Here is the cover to the issue where "Vandals of the Void" was published.

:cloud9:

wonderstoriessummer1931.jpg

Wonder Stories Quarterly (Summer 1931)

Love the CAS cover!

yes the Wonder Q is nice, can't complain about Klarkash-ton getting the FP treatment... But the Fantastic Story has VV on cov (the illo you showed = same image), and Earle's design is cool, and I'm an early 50s freak, especially fond of classic reprints, and at VG for $16 delivered snuck it through on household funds...

Is the Wonder Q bedsheet or just 'fat' ?

I'm a 50's fan, too. (thumbs u

The Wonder Stories is bedsheet sized and fat (576 pages).

I'm an early 50s freak, especially fond of classic reprints, and at VG for $16 delivered snuck it through on household funds...

I'm a fan of Fantastic Stories.

If I'd been buying pulps in 1950 I definitely would have been pleased when I learned of FS's plan to publish reprints.

fantasticstory1950spr.jpg

Fantastic Stories v1#1

cosmicencores.jpg

The Wonder Stories is bedsheet sized and fat (576 pages).

That's big!!! :o

Not sure if it's been mentioned but I just picked up this book about Frank Paul's art. Very good book for the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Frank-R-Paul-Art-Book/dp/1613772777/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374785769&sr=8-1&keywords=frank+r.+paul

Here are a couple more printings of Slan.

astounding194010.jpg

Astounding Stories (October 1940)

slan.jpg

Arkham House (1946)

From Wikipedia:

Slan is a science fiction novel written by A. E. van Vogt, as well as the name of the fictional race of superbeings featured in the novel. The novel was originally serialized in the magazine Astounding Science Fiction (September - December 1940). It was subsequently published in hardcover in 1946 by Arkham House, in an edition of 4,051 copies.

Plot

Slans are evolved humans, named after their alleged creator, Samuel Lann. They have the psychic abilities to read minds and are super-intelligent. They possess near limitless stamina, "nerves of steel," and superior strength and speed. When Slans are ill or seriously injured, they go into a healing trance automatically.

There are two kinds of Slans. One has tendrils and can read the minds of ordinary humans and telepathically communicate with other Slans. The tendrils are golden in color, making it easy to spot a Slan. These Slans are hunted to near extinction. The other type of Slan is tendrilless. They are still super intelligent but do not have psychic capabilities, only the ability to hide their thoughts from the first type of Slan. Kier Gray is the leader of the human society and vows to exterminate the Slans.

As the novel begins, nine-year-old Jommy Cross (a telepathic Slan of the first type) is brought with his mother to the capital, Centropolis. They are both discovered and Jommy's mother is killed. Jommy manages to escape. Jommy Cross is not only the heir to the brilliant inventions of his father, but he represents the last hope of his race to save it from genocide. Because of the importance of his mission, he is opposed by various enemies. Jommy seeks to destroy Kier and in confronting him discovers an astonishing secret: Kier Gray is also a Slan.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but I just picked up this book about Frank Paul's art. Very good book for the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Frank-R-Paul-Art-Book/dp/1613772777/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374785769&sr=8-1&keywords=frank+r.+paul

I already own the Paul book written by Stephen Korshak.

Frank R. Paul: Father of Science Fiction Art

I wonder if the Jerry Weist book has enough new material to make it worth buying?

Anyone have an opinion on the subject?

I already own the Paul book written by Stephen Korshak.

Frank R. Paul: Father of Science Fiction Art

I wonder if the Jerry Weist book has enough new material to make it worth buying?

Anyone have an opinion on the subject?

I'm curious too. I have the Korshak one as well, but the Weist one.

I know I'm late to the party; The Black Hand posted a link on a WC thread. This is just jaw dropping. I've been clicking through the thread for an hour now. I'm just amazed every time a new picture is posted.

(thumbs u

Amazing, isn't it? And fun to revisit every once in a blue moon. (BZ, thanks for keeping the pics up!)