• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

We missed a couple of other birthdays this week. H.P. Lovecraft and Hal Foster.

I celebrated Foster's birthday by selling my undercopy of SS 20, since I was able to upgrade thanks to Todd (Red Fury).

Congrats on your upgrade. :applause:

I didn't realize it was Foster's birthday but I celebrated it by purchasing the newly released Tarzan book published by Dark Horse.

tarzansundaycomics.jpg

And, as chance would have it, I bought a copy of this HPL biography the other day at a used book store.

hplovecraft.jpg

I celebrated Foster's birthday by selling my undercopy of SS 20, since I was able to upgrade thanks to Todd (Red Fury).

I didn't realize it was Foster's birthday but I celebrated it by purchasing the newly released Tarzan book published by Dark Horse.

tarzansundaycomics.jpg

And, as chance would have it, I bought a copy of this HPL biography the other day at a used book store.

hplovecraft.jpg

I'll be curious of your take on the Lovecraft biography when you read it. DeCamp was a pulp writer as well; was he not? I don't recall what he wrote though.

tarzansundaycomics.jpg

hplovecraft.jpg

I'll be curious of your take on the Lovecraft biography when you read it. DeCamp was a pulp writer as well; was he not? I don't recall what he wrote though.

So small world that is I looked up DeCamp on Wikipedia only to find out he received a Masters in Engineering from my alma mater, Stevens Tech in Hoboken, NJ. In the 31 years since I have graduated not one alumni publication has mentioned this!!

I will send them a note and recommend an article on Mr. DeCamps accomplishments. Now I really want to read the biography and some of his personal work.

tarzansundaycomics.jpg

hplovecraft.jpg

So small world that is I looked up DeCamp on Wikipedia only to find out he received a Masters in Engineering from my alma mater, Stevens Tech in Hoboken, NJ. In the 31 years since I have graduated not one alumni publication has mentioned this!!

I will send them a note and recommend an article on Mr. DeCamps accomplishments. Now I really want to read the biography and some of his personal work.

Yikes! DeCamp's biographies of both HPL and REH are loathed by their respective fans for their innaccuracies and for DeCamp's tendency to push his own amateur psychological theories on the two men.

DeCamp is particularly anathema to REH fans as he was responsible for heavily editing the Conan stories and preventing the publication of the "pure" Howard texts for decades.

The biography of HPL that is considered the gold standard today is that of S.T. Joshi. the leading Lovecraft scholar. It was originally published in the 1990s as _HPL: A Life_, but just recently he released a revised and expanded 2 volume edition retitled _I Am Providence_. If you want to read the definitive bio of HPL this is the one I would recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/Am-Providence-Times-Lovecraft-Volume/dp/1614980519/ref=pd_cp_b_0

http://www.amazon.com/Am-Providence-Times-Lovecraft-Volume/dp/1614980527/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

And while we're on the subject, the current definitive bio of REH, _Blood and Thunder_ by Mark Finn has just been released in a revised and expanded second edition as well and I highly recommend it:

http://www.lulu.com/us/en/shop/mark-finn/blood-and-thunder-the-life-and-art-of-robert-e-howard/paperback/product-21120799.html

(I say "current" because at some point it may be supplanted by a bio from our boardie Xaltotun ;) )

tarzansundaycomics.jpg

hplovecraft.jpg

Yikes! DeCamp's biographies of both HPL and REH are loathed by their respective fans for their innaccuracies and for DeCamp's tendency to push his own amateur psychological theories on the two men.

DeCamp is particularly anathema to REH fans as he was responsible for heavily editing the Conan stories and preventing the publication of the "pure" Howard texts for decades.

The biography of HPL that is considered the gold standard today is that of S.T. Joshi. the leading Lovecraft scholar. It was originally published in the 1990s as _HPL: A Life_, but just recently he released a revised and expanded 2 volume edition retitled _I Am Providence_. If you want to read the definitive bio of HPL this is the one I would recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/Am-Providence-Times-Lovecraft-Volume/dp/1614980519/ref=pd_cp_b_0

http://www.amazon.com/Am-Providence-Times-Lovecraft-Volume/dp/1614980527/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

And while we're on the subject, the current definitive bio of REH, _Blood and Thunder_ by Mark Finn has just been released in a revised and expanded second edition as well and I highly recommend it:

http://www.lulu.com/us/en/shop/mark-finn/blood-and-thunder-the-life-and-art-of-robert-e-howard/paperback/product-21120799.html

(I say "current" because at some point it may be supplanted by a bio from our boardie Xaltotun ;) )

Thanks, I added the Lovecraft books to my Amazon wish list.

Before we leave the discussion of HPL's biographies behind us.

Here are two other books about him that were published in 1975.

hpl.jpg

Lovecraft at Last by Willis Conover and Howard Phillips Lovecraft by Frank Belknap Long

I remember enjoying the Conover book very much.

I don't have any memory of the Long book. I might not have ever read it. hm

I got turned onto Lovecraft in the fall of 1975 or winter of 1976. I was a Sophmore in high school and had to endure a tortuous ride home on a school bus replete with the usual teen age angst and drama. My escape were my paperbacks. Somewhere I had picked up a collection of stories by Lovecraft and as we bounced along the back roads dropping off kids I would be reading some pretty crazy stuff.

I've been fascinated by his writing ever since and have read a little of his history but it is time to read more. Whenever I read his stories I can feel the oppressive weight of a Nor'easter over Providence weighing down my soul!!

I 9571038543_e63d009df7_o.jpg

That's a great photo. Lon Chaney Jr., Tor Johnson, Bela Lugosi, and John Carradine.

It must have been taken very near the end of Lugosi's life. He died in August of 1956 and the comic is dated July of that year.

I got turned onto Lovecraft in the fall of 1975 or winter of 1976. I was a Sophmore in high school and had to endure a tortuous ride home on a school bus replete with the usual teen age angst and drama. My escape were my paperbacks. Somewhere I had picked up a collection of stories by Lovecraft and as we bounced along the back roads dropping off kids I would be reading some pretty crazy stuff.

I've been fascinated by his writing ever since and have read a little of his history but it is time to read more. Whenever I read his stories I can feel the oppressive weight of a Nor'easter over Providence weighing down my soul!!

I first read Lovecraft (and Howard) when I was about the same age as when you started reading him.

I haven't read anything by HPL since I was in high school. I wonder if I'd still enjoy the stories if I were to reread any of them.

I first read Lovecraft (and Howard) when I was about the same age as when you started reading him.

I haven't read anything by HPL since I was in high school. I wonder if I'd still enjoy the stories if I were to reread any of them.

I think you might as I found myself again in possession of a paperback of his stories a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed reading some of his tales again. There is an innate oppressive creepiness to his writing that makes you fear going down into the cellar or out into the dark!!