• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Thought readers of this thread might be interested in this...

http://therealalfrede.blogspot.ca/2013/03/the-real-alfred-e.html

The inspiration for Alfred E. Neuman is long known to have been a character commonly used in advertising, comics, postcards, etc back to the turn of the century. As the author states:

The upshot of all the discussion was, basically, that Alfred E. Neuman is a copy of a copy of a copy of an image that bounced around for decades in various guises - political buttons, silly postcards, ads for painless dentistry, and Nazi anti-semitic propaganda posters. No one could identify the image that started it all, although some people suggested that the image evolved from a tradition of cartoonish and racist depictions of Irish immigrants from the mid- to late-19th Century America.

Now, the author of this blog, Peter Jensen Brown, thinks he has discovered the origin of the character in advertising for an 1894 Broadway play called The New Boy:

New+Boy+Ad+-+Los+Angeles+Herald+December+2+1894.jpg

Really fascinating stuff and very well researched.

Very cool.

Thanks for the link.

I read Maria Reidelbach's history of Mad magazine, Completely Mad, many years ago so I was familiar with some aspects of the image's history already, but Brown's recent discoveries have added lots of significant information to the story. It's well worth reading.

For trivia buffs: Alfred E. Neuman's first appearance in a Mad comic was on the cover of issue #21 (March 1955), as a tiny image as part of a mock advertisement.

mad21.jpg

rubbermasks.jpg

I was always under the impression (i think I read or heard somewhere) that Alfred was based on the yearbook photo of someone they went to school with?

As a kid, that faced freaked me out and I still remember one nightmare featuring it. I couldve sworn he was standing right next to my bed when i woke up. And that was at age 5 before I ever read Mad (loved it in 4th gradeish time) but had seen it a few times in parents tpbs.

Is Friday the 13th bad for your health?

According to a 1993 study published in the British Medical Journal it is. So I hope all of you stayed indoors today and played it safe.

Why live dangerously when you can pull up a chair and read a comic book instead.

Here are a few stories on my suggested reading list. :)

Adventures into Darkness #6

adventureintodarkness6.jpg

just did cheap BIN on the bay for Mammoth Man, rounding out summer book bash

Congrats on a successful buying binge. :applause:

I don't have much to contribute to the topic other than noting that The Monsters of Juntonheim originally was published under the title "A Yank at Valhalla" in the January 1941 issue of Startling Stories.

monstersofjuntonheim.jpg

startling.jpg

yankatvalhalla.jpg