• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I know I've posted this to the Board before (hopefully not here yet), but what the heck the timing is right and I absolutely love this piece anyway. Advertising flyer sent out by Chesler in 1937 for Dan Hastings...

New to me! Wow. :applause:

I know I've posted this to the Board before (hopefully not here yet), but what the heck the timing is right and I absolutely love this piece anyway. Advertising flyer sent out by Chesler in 1937 for Dan Hastings...

100_0988.jpg

I love that flyer and imagine it must be quite rare.

Am I correct in assuming that the Dan Hastings strip was never successfully syndicated? I know I never saw an example of it published in a newspaper.

Am I correct in assuming that the Dan Hastings strip was never successfully syndicated? I know I never saw an example of it published in a newspaper.

Steve's ad made me wonder as well. Jerry Bails' info does list:

Syndication

DAN HASTINGS [daily] (pen/ink/) 1937-c38 > 37 38

DAN HASTINGS [sunday] (pen/ink/) 1937-c38 > 37 38

for Guardineer but I don't know if any paper or many papers carried it. I'll look into it later and since I am a member of the Comic Strip list, I'll send an email there to see what folks know.

I love that flyer and imagine it must be quite rare.

When I bought it, it came with a notation "3 known copies" but how that data was ascertained I have no idea.

This is the only copy I have ever seen.

Guardineer is Great.

marvelsciencestoriesaprmay1939GA.jpg

NICE Marvels BZ!!! I love that little Marvel run. Took me a while, but I finally completed it and upgraded accordingly. Plus the two DYNAMIC SCIENCE STORIES.

Do you have all of the different mutations of the title?

After the initial 5 issues, the title changed in December 1939 to Marvel Tales . Two issues were published and then the title changed again in November 1940 to Marvel Stories.

Hey BZ ddoesn't this issue had a Marvel Comics #1 add or reference in it? Similar title/date changes as the Marvel (Mystery) run, very cool stuff.

marvelsciencestoriesaprmay1939GA.jpg

Hey BZ doesn't this issue had a Marvel Comics #1 add or reference in it? Similar title/date changes as the Marvel (Mystery) run, very cool stuff.

The pulp that has the ad for Marvel Comics # 1 is the October 1939, Complete Detective.

The Marvel Science does, however, have a nice black and white interior illo by Schomburg.

Interestingly, it also has a letter of comment from a long time sf fan who I met at a New Years Eve party last year.

Still, its a pleasure to see the painting!!! What an amazing piece to own. I am curious if there is a story behind how you came to own that... if you care to share it.

The most interesting part to the story is that the painting, plus the cover art to two other pulps, were discovered in a local antique shop.

Still, its a pleasure to see the painting!!! What an amazing piece to own. I am curious if there is a story behind how you came to own that... if you care to share it.

The most interesting part to the story is that the painting, plus the cover art to two other pulps, were discovered in a local antique shop.

UNBELIEVABLE. just unbelievable. You must have a horseshoe very well hidden, but firmly in place!

UNBELIEVABLE. just unbelievable. You must have a horseshoe very well hidden, but firmly in place!

lol

They're nailed to the bottom of my feet.

The pulp that has the ad for Marvel Comics # 1 is the October 1939, Complete Detective.

The Marvel Science does, however, have a nice black and white interior illo by Schomburg.

Interestingly, it also has a letter of comment from a long time sf fan who I met at a New Years Eve party last year.

Very cool stuff BZ. How old was that guy who wrote the letter?

lol

They're nailed to the bottom of my feet.

I'd suggest a different blacksmith. (:

How old was that guy who wrote the letter?

I think he's about 87 or 88.

He had a phenomenal memory.

We were both standing looking at books on a bookcase at our mutual friend's house. He looked over at me, smiled and came over and introduced himself.

I recognized the name and we started chatting. He started recalling various threads to a brief correspondence we'd had over 20 years ago.

It was a dim memory to me but he remembered all sorts of details.

It was amazing.

Here's something different that might interest this crowd more than people in General.

Today, I received this beat-up copy of Rangers # 21. I like the cover and ThirdGreenHam had the right price on it -

43046-Rangers21.jpg

As soon as I cracked it open, I recognize the Firehair story. Here's a page from the Feb. 1945 Rangers book -

43045-Firehair11-Rangers21-Pages.jpg

which I knew is also printed in Firehair # 11 dated Spring 1952 -

43043-Firehair11s.jpg

Here's the page reprinted and recolored -

43047-Firehair11Story1Pages.jpg

Aside from the fact that it's obvious more attention was paid to the coloring as more work was applied in the 1945 version than the 1952 version, I also happen to own the OA to this page -

43044-Firehair11OAPage2.gif

You'll notice it is labeled Firehair # 11 at the bottom. Nonetheless, I guess I found out today that the art isn't from 1952 but from 1945. The art as you can see had some paste-ups that fell (See second tier first panel for example). Those were interesting for the look into the editorial decision process when editing the story. Knowing that the story is in fact a reprint, it becomes even more interesting to see what the folks at Fiction House thought was appropriate in 1945 that became not so much appropriate in 1952 in the context of new and increasing pressures on the business. Here are the differences I noted:

First, there are more captions in the 1952 version.

1945: "Speak up or I kill!" became

1952: "Speak up" - No more killing mentioned.

1945: "No! No! Me Yellow Knife" became

1952: "No! No! I am Blue Dog" - No more Knife in the name and the american-indian character has improved grammar

1945: "Let us burn him at the stake" replied by "No! He lives! If he dies, never will we learn the truth!" became

1952: "We will put him to the test" replied by "No torture! I know a better way to learn the truth." - We have less graphic description and more concern about fairness rather than if he's dead he can't talk.

So here you have it, a more gentle Firehair in a span of 7 years.

You've solved a mystery and have a very handsome page of OA. Can't beat that! :applause:

The sf fan I mentioned earlier today has written up his memories of the early days of science fiction fandom.

Here's a taste of the article.

A Personal Sense of Wonder

I was not quite a teenager when I first found my personal 'sense of wonder'. It was 1933, and I was walking past this back-date store, in Philadelphia where I lived with my parents, and there, in the window, was a copy of Wonder Stories. The cover of the magazine showed a giant moon coming towards the earth. It was so fascinating that I just had to have it, so I ran home and asked my mother for a nickel to buy it. And that's how I discovered science fiction.

Soon thereafter, when I was an active Boy Scout, my father told me that I needed a new pair of Scout pants and gave me two dollars. But on the way to the clothing store, I saw this magazine shop and the whole window was filled with Wonder Stories, Amazing Stories, and others. I went in there instead, and I spent the whole two dollars on magazines -- they were a nickel apiece or six for a quarter. As you might expect, it resulted in some real trouble for me. But it did start my science fiction collection.

It didn't take me too long to discover there were others who were also interested in science fiction. I liked finding out what other people thought of the stories I read so I began reading the Readers' Departments in the magazines, and some of the letter writers soon became as famous to me as some of the authors. In particular there was one fan, Allan Glasser, who I really think, historically, can be named as the first real science fiction fan. He had letters in the old Science Wonder Stories, and had earlier won a couple of Hugo Gernsback's contests. He wrote some of the most fantastic letters.

(If you would like to read the article in its entirety, please follow this link.)

A Personal Sense of Wonder

Very nice story -- I like the part about spending the money on magazines instead of the boy scout uniform. lol

TimeTrav.jpg