• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Hey Scrooge,

Thanks so much for posting FUTURA ... I have seen that reprinted elsewhere, in some old 1970's book about comics I think (name escapes me). I always thought that was one of the most bizarre comics I have ever read ... the lack of word balloons only adds to its surrealness. The girl in the tube, the brains in jars, and Futura's VERY revealing outfit always made this story stand out to me. It takes itself very seriously, which I also love!!

Looking forward to more surprises!!

Here's a Sunday story. Futura in action -

"How else to near the tower unnoticed?"

Yeah, this get-up is sure to blend right in, Futura!

The "woman in tube" cover was my first thought too, BZ.

Thanks for posting this bizarre story, Scrooge.

Jack

43592-Planet46-Futura2.jpg

Thanks. I try to find stories you guys would like. I'm not 100% sure about this one but I loved it. The cartooning is superior and the inking is super-slick. The humor works for me. I can't ask for more. The GCD credits this art to Al Walker, a name I've never heard before and that's a shame -

43604-Planet17-Norge1.jpg

43605-Planet17-Norge2.jpg

43606-Planet17-Norge3.jpg

43607-Planet17-Norge4.jpg

43608-Planet17-Norge5.jpg

43609-Planet17-Norge6.jpg

What astonishes me is that once Guardineer left the Chesler studio his comic art changed quite a bit over the course of a few years and it feels that he wasn't putting in as much work on the page.

Check out his work in Space Ace from 1952. Very flat and stylized but matched perfectly with very simple coloring.

Thanks. I try to find stories you guys would like. I'm not 100% sure about this one but I loved it. The cartooning is superior and the inking is super-slick. The humor works for me. I can't ask for more. The GCD credits this art to Al Walker,* a name I've never heard before and that's a shame -

*For the Al who walks.

Very strange story, Scrooge! I had no idea that there was material like this in Planet Comics, but since it all happened on Pluto it certainly qualifies.

The penguin pulling a hat out of a rabbit is one of the oddest panels I've ever seen.

Thanks,

Jack

43605-Planet17-Norge2.jpg

What astonishes me is that once Guardineer left the Chesler studio his comic art changed quite a bit over the course of a few years and it feels that he wasn't putting in as much work on the page.

Check out his work in Space Ace from 1952. Very flat and stylized but matched perfectly with very simple coloring.

Thanks for the recommendation. The CBM article had some enticing glimpses into that Space Ace work and also Guardineer mentioned in his interview that he was proud of his work on Durango Kid. I looked around for some Space Ace material I could view but didn't find any :(

Thanks. I try to find stories you guys would like. I'm not 100% sure about this one but I loved it. The cartooning is superior and the inking is super-slick. The humor works for me. I can't ask for more. The GCD credits this art to Al Walker, a name I've never heard before and that's a shame -

WOW :o

I absolutely love learning of oddball stories like this one.

Thanks so much for posting it, Scrooge.

(worship)

It's hard to believe it was hidden in this issue.

Planet17GA.jpg

One of these days, I'll have to make certain I go through every issue I own, page by page.

WOW! A mindblowing assotment of posts to catch up on here.

Ryan - That Junkie pulp cover is absolutely breathtaking!

The Futura story... :o WOW< Never knew they pushed it that far.

And the crazy Funny animal story from planet #17 - I can't even describe that, too crazy for words, and unlike anything I have ever seen! Thanks SoooOOo much for scanning that!

The penguin pulling a hat out of a rabbit is one of the oddest panels I've ever seen.

It's odd but it's funny right? I mean, I laughed out loud when I saw that panel. Does that make me ... strange? ...

No, I believe it makes you ... odd but funny...

I laughed too.

Jack

funny but odd

It's odd but it's funny right? I mean, I laughed out loud when I saw that panel. Does that make me ... strange? ...

No, I believe it makes you ... odd but funny...

I laughed too.

Jack

funny but odd

The set-up to the joke in the preceding panel was pretty funny, too.

norge.jpg

That Norge Benson just reads so much like an underground, it's uncanny!

This by Basil is more reminiscent to the idea I have of what an underground looks like. I know nothing about UG comics! Before the story, I put up the splash page to the Daredevil story in that issue (# 16). This follows the death of Meatball in the previous story. I found the imagery to be very effective. Biro could do it all.

43613-Daredevil16-DaredevilBiro.jpg

43614-DD16-BW1.jpg

43615-DD16-BW2.jpg

43616-DD16-BW3.jpg

43617-DD16-BW4.jpg

for some reason the skeletal seal made me laugh out loud. I don't even know why... (shrug)

Because they call it the "magic seal" playing on the two meanings of seal. I laughed out loud there too since I played too many D&D games in my youth!

One of these days, I'll have to make certain I go through every issue I own, page by page.

Did I ever tell you about the free ogling service I offer ...

Do you have references? lol

(shrug) I'm the one who spotted the Norge Benson story from in-between the covers of one of your book all the way from here. That's impressive, right? :insane: