• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Thanks, Scrooge. I enjoyed that look at an unfamiliar character.

I like Paul Gustavson's artwork. His drawing of The Spider in some panels reminds me of Lou Fine.

Doesn't the Spider's long sleeved yellow shirt and blue shorts seem like an odd costume choice for someone with his name. (shrug)

I agree that Gustavson should be mentioned more often. The similarities with Fine were driving my decision to post that story. I agree with someone's earlier comment that Gustavson's anatomy isn't as good as Fine's but he can design very effective pages nonetheless. Moreover, while Fine had both Black Condor and The Ray, Gustavson had Alias the Spider and The Jester (I'll post a Jester early story tonight). As we've said over and over, there's gold in this there GA books ... even in those Classic Comics / Classic Illustrated -

44747-CI8-Splash.jpg.871d2f990042e41ad85e07b83f021ae7.jpg

44748-CI8-Page1s.jpg.4c64be3317fec4d178fc3d1c1f506d71.jpg

44749-CI8-Page2s.jpg.41cd95b1382f71fb3c0428467bf9ca95.jpg

Hey Scrooge, thanks for posting that story of the Arrow, er... I mean the Spider! Was Gustavson a bow and arrow enthusiast? Someone should have informed him that pistols had been invented.

That is some very fine work by Gustavson ... much more detailed and nicely drawn than many stories I have of his. The detail is really nice, the faces lack that awkward perspective that much of his earlier work had. The colors on the story are super nice too!!! Might have to pick up some CRACK in the future... hm

That looks like its later than 1940 ... do you happen to know the month/year that story appeared?

Hey Scrooge, thanks for posting that story of the Arrow, er... I mean the Spider! Was Gustavson a bow and arrow enthusiast? Someone should have informed him that pistols had been invented.

That is some very fine work by Gustavson ... much more detailed and nicely drawn than many stories I have of his. The detail is really nice, the faces lack that awkward perspective that much of his earlier work had. The colors on the story are super nice too!!! Might have to pick up some CRACK in the future... hm

That looks like its later than 1940 ... do you happen to know the month/year that story appeared?

Ryan, Crack 14 is from July 1941 and it seems it was on the newsstands in May 1941 so it's not that much later than 1940. I will say that Smash tends to have a better line-up that Crack, both story idea and artist-wise. Again, as with all GA, this changes almost issue to issue so a little research should pay off a plenty. As for the use of bow and arrow, wait until you see what the Jester uses!! lol

What's even more stunning to me is that later on in his career Gustavson completely changed his style to become an accomplished funny features artist on such strip as Will Bragg, Chop Chop, or Uncle Fuddly (all for Quality). I personally it was a waste of his talents. We missed out because the industry and readers' tastes changed. Bummer ...

Wow! That's a very subversive cover in "funny-kid" clothing!

There are times in US history when it might have been censored.

Jack

even a kid(?) smoking a cigar!

funnypagesv2n12GA.jpg

I like the cover blurb: "All new easy reading comics. No newspaper reprints."

Awesome Gustavson pages, BZ! I love all his stuff ... crude or refined. And he had a beautiful signature... love that panel of the guy getting shot, with appears to be blood coming from his mouth.

Just curious, while we're on Gustavson, does anybody :wishluck: SCROOGE :wishluck: have any pages from his Human Bomb feature from SMASH (i think)? Is his "bomb" a bow and arrow by any chance?

Awesome Gustavson pages, BZ! I love all his stuff ... crude or refined. And he had a beautiful signature... love that panel of the guy getting shot, with appears to be blood coming from his mouth.

Just curious, while we're on Gustavson, does anybody :wishluck: SCROOGE :wishluck: have any pages from his Human Bomb feature from SMASH (i think)? Is his "bomb" a bow and arrow by any chance?

hm Yeah I do but won't get to the files until tonight. Your patience will be rewarded though. The Human Bomb feature I find is Gustavson's most zzz feature there is. For that matter IIRC, it's another example of the chameleonian abilities of Gustavson because his style is yet different on those stories. We'll see tonight.

The Human Bomb feature I find is Gustavson's most zzz feature there is. For that matter IIRC, it's another example of the chameleonian abilities of Gustavson because his style is yet different on those stories. We'll see tonight.

Scrooge, check out Gustavson's work on the Human Bomb in the early issues of Police Comics. It's less cartoony than the later stories.

The Phantom Lady in those early issues is very impressive, too.