• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

....and wonderfully recreated by Bob Lubbers. 44829-arrowrecreation.jpg

Jon, I love all the recreations you own.

What size is The Arrow?

Do you have any Planet recreations?

The Arrow is about 18 x 24

As for Planet recreations.....here is Zolnerowich and Lilly Renee......and sorry but I do not have a recreation of Planet 1, but hopefully the original will do (the pride and centerpiece of my entire collection)....

You guys are really blowin' me away!!!!! I'm f***in' in Awe!!!! (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship)

"For Goodness sake (as Suzie Wong always says)" Keep 'em Coming!!!! :wishluck:

As for Planet recreations.....here is Zolnerowich......and sorry but I do not have a recreation of Planet 1, but hopefully the original will do (the pride and centerpiece of my entire collection)

44858-planet1.jpg

44852-planet14recreation.jpg

Jon, if I were fortunate enough to own a piece of artwork like the Planet 1 cover, I'd feel just like you do. (thumbs u

The Zolnerowich recreation is fantastic. He and Joe Doolin are a couple of my favorite Planet cover artists.

Jon is that a pedigree copy?

The Arrow comic is mine.

It's not a pedigree, but it does have an interesting history.

It's one of hundreds of Golden Age comic books I bought in the early 70's from an individual who had found them in the trash put out by a neighbor.

On the back cover of many of the comics is the rubber stamped identification of the store where they were originally sold.

Campbell Bros

8th & C Sts. NE

Cigars & Tobacco

Stationery & Newspapers

CampbellBrosComic2GA.jpg

CampbellBrosComic3GA.jpg

CampbellBrosComic1GA.jpg

This is a 1988 photograph of the building where the Campbell Bros store was located.

CampbellBrosStoreGA.jpg

I hope this next Quality story will receive the nod of approval of this esteemed company.

WARNING: Any resemblance of the events portrayed in this story, published in Police Comics # 10 in July 1942, to a certain movie released on October 18, 1941 is purely intentional.

44884-Police10-CC1.jpg.e36b3d461e990ffcb0ac70bf0d812fd7.jpg

44885-Police10-CC2.jpg.3d5f93c68cde075cf3ca78a8e13c513f.jpg

44886-Police10-CC3.jpg.d2f65ded30fc2074f51302532edf8485.jpg

44887-Police10-CC4.jpg.2298de50d95a2e431105d3b4ef13a4da.jpg

44888-Police10-CC5.jpg.d2729c5e4d6ffe5e21cac06b84290587.jpg

44889-Police10-CC6.jpg.75853ac2e63771d8ea9fe103fceef1e0.jpg

WARNING: Any resemblance of the events portrayed in this story, published in Police Comics # 10 in July 1942, to a certain movie released on October 18, 1941 is purely intentional.

ROFL!

Thanks for the story! Even knowing it's a knockoff of sorts, I still like it a lot.

Jon is that a pedigree copy?

The Arrow comic is mine.

It's not a pedigree, but it does have an interesting history.

It's one of hundreds of Golden Age comic books I bought in the early 70's from an individual who had found them in the trash put out by a neighbor.

On the back cover of many of the comics is the rubber stamped identification of the store where they were originally sold.

Campbell Bros

8th & C Sts. NE

Cigars & Tobacco

Stationery & Newspapers

CampbellBrosComic2GA.jpg

CampbellBrosComic3GA.jpg

CampbellBrosComic1GA.jpg

This is a 1988 photograph of the building where the Campbell Bros store was located.

CampbellBrosStoreGA.jpg

Did you check those trash bags by the streetlight? (Just to be on the safe side)

Encore!

hm What to do for an encore ...

How about another pre-1941 single panel splash from Samson # 1, dated Fall 1940?

This is followed by a Samson story from # 1 also. It's one of those pre-war angst story that Theagenes will like (if he ever finishes his job anytime soon. We miss you!). Some of the pages are repetitive. I mean ... we get the point that Samson is super strong the first time around but still it maintains its charm throughout the story and I did find the "streamlined" backgrounds served the story (instead of being a sin of omission for the sake of speed in execution. This is a Fox book after all). Tom, if you're reading this, maybe the OSPG should list Samson # 1 as "Big Screen TV's first appearance." lol

44800-Samson1-S3.jpg

I'm back! :acclaim: And you're right -- I love this story! Mythological character, Yellow Peril, a "pre-US entry" war story - great stuff! Especially telling are the scenes depicting aerial bombardment of civilians -- this was a relatively new tactic that had not really been used much prior to this point (except for a few instances in ww1 and the Spanish Civil War), but it was something that that was greatly feared by everyone going into this war. Many military experts (on both sides) believed that the bombing of major urban centers would be the deciding factor in this new war. As this story was being written, probably in summer of 1940, the Battle of Britain was just beginning and the large scale bombing of civilian targets was just getting underway. The next five years of total war would see this tactic used on a scale that I doubt even a comic book writer could have imagined in 1940.

It's always amazing to read these stories thinking about their context and to try and imagine what was in the mind of the writer and artist, as well as the readers. Great stuff, Scrooge! Thanks again for sharing these wonderful stories! (worship)

Jeff

Edited by Theagenes