• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Have you seen any issues of Blood 'n' Thunder? From the descriptions it sounds pretty good.

bnt21-300.jpg

Yes I have (see pic below with some Purple Prose issues thrown in on top). Over the last year I have tracked down the early issues I needed to complete my collection (1 - 3 are basically unavailable) and now have a sub. Fuelman should have a complete set as well.

I like the mag because it is profusely illustrated (in B&W). Ed, the editor, is also a huge movie / serial fan so at times a big chunk of page count is taken over by serial coverage and not pulp. In all, it's an entertaining mag but issues can be uneven. Also, it's not uncommon that, like the Pulp Fictioneer book I mention before, articles from Writer's Digest or other mag is reprinted instead of "research" article. Personally, I like the series coverage articles best.

64618.jpg.467b0a2e44d2c873afa5dc14d53ae217.jpg

I have several Superman comics to scan but also some Super, Supersnipe, Super-Magician, Super Duck and Supermouse.

2791371966_576966ebbc_b.jpg

I enjoyed all the cover scans. :applause:

The Supersnipe issue was especially intriguing.

BZ,

I have some more Supersnipes but I forgot to scan Superduck. The character started as a Mighty Mouse type character with strange eyes but later became ordinary with normal vision. This scan is from Jolly Jingles 13 or 12. By the way, was he actually in Hangman 8 as mentioned in Overstreet? I don't think he has a story in my copy.

bb

2797304161_f806da44a9_b.jpg

Great books, Bill. :applause:

I love comic strips from that era so they're really appealing.

I also like the fact that they're still reasonably priced. :gossip:

If I had more room around here I'd probably start collecting them. hm

Great books, Bill. :applause:

I love comic strips from that era so they're really appealing.

I also like the fact that they're still reasonably priced. :gossip:

If I had more room around here I'd probably start collecting them. hm

I added a new shelf last night :banana:

BZ,

Please excuse my faulty memory but did you post some Superworld comics?

I noticed that issue 3 scans are available on line and I thought they would be worth posting.

I like the cover by Paul and it looks like he might have done one of the stories but I haven't checked the GCD.

I noticed that Gernsback added a quiz at the end to see what the reader had learned during the reading.

That is kind of innovative but it also required the editor to add instructive material to each issue.

Do you think Siegel could have added a Superman quiz to the back of Action 1?

bb

2799230111_72f648decc_o.jpg

2799230443_4a3082631d_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

I think I have posted this before on a different thread but I might have posted it on this thread too.

Most of my Supersnipes come from a dealer in Michigan. Purchased around 1990 I think. I like the logo.

bb

1926318015_8671dc75a0_b.jpg

Speaking of ants, I like this cover by Paul Blaisdell (B-movie maker?) for the Winston series.

2800414448_f7b751d9e1_o.jpg

BB, I used to be an avid reader of Filmfax and Cult Move Magazines so I was familiar with Blaisdell's career in B movies, but I had no memory of his stint as an illustrator.

Thanks for the scan. :applause:

I found this bio online.

Link

Filmography

Link

I wonder if he's any relation to Tex Blaisdell?

Link

I checked your links and saw this bio for Blaisdell. He should be the same person since he did both sci fi illos and special effects.

bb

"From All Movie Guide: Paul Blaisdell's career was the stuff that nightmares were made of, especially for baby-boomer filmgoers. Blaisdell's career in movies lasted barely four years, and seldom involved pictures budgeted even in the six-figure range. If he isn't remotely as well known as, say, Dennis Muren or Jim Danforth, then that's because he never had more than a fraction of their budgets to work with. Blaisdell was born in Newport, RI, in 1927, and attended the New England School of Art and Design. Among his first steady work assignments after graduation was as an illustrator for various science fiction pulp magazines. It was during this period that Blaisdell entered the orbit of Forest J. Ackerman, a science fiction writer who would later become famous as the editor of Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine. Ackerman became Blaisdell's agent, and this led to his entry into movies."

Here are some of goldenagecomics.co.uk's scans from Superworld #3.

It's a great issue.

superworld1.jpg

Mitey Powers

I like the psychedelic coloring!

BZ,

I noticed that Gernsback added a quiz at the end to see what the reader had learned during the reading.

That is kind of innovative but it also required the editor to add instructive material to each issue.

2799230443_4a3082631d_b.jpg

I'm already getting a bad feeling about #6. Good thing this quiz is posted in Gold, not General.

Jack

Here are some of goldenagecomics.co.uk's scans from Superworld #3.

It's a great issue.

superworld1.jpg

Mitey Powers

BZ,

The Martians look pretty good. They were featured on the cover of Superworld 1.

The landscapes in the story reminds me of some of the art from the back cover of Amazing by Paul.

bb

2800058267_07cd7db0d1_b.jpg

P.S. This is an example but not the one I was thinking of.