• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Congrats on scoring such nice examples of the strip. :applause:

Yup, a real cliff-hanger :insane:

I believe the stories are a step above the average western book but it's the Meagher art: clean and highly readable, that's really helping separate this series from the pack.

Compare this to, say, the Durango Kid series: the stories are better and the art is consistent. Also, it's much much better than the sausage making machine that the Fawcett line of Western was.

Let's hear it from BB too as he's more familiar with the series. :popcorn:

I loved reading Dell westerns when I was a kid. A few years ago I found a stack of old Dell Comics (with the logos clipped off) at a flea market. I started reading them with the expectation that the stories would prove disappointing now that I'm an adult. I was pleasantly surprised to find that they actually held up very well.

2339193274_e83fe62b87_b.jpg

I think the Red Hawk strip by Powell was also a pretty good back up in Straight Arrow. The SA stories were short with a moral. The indians weren't the bad guys in every story and the extra secret identity added more mystery to one of the few strips that treated our native Americans fairly. I liked the Durango Kid series because of the Frazetta White Indian stories. The later series was drawn by Guardineer which makes it interesting. Nice work and good artists. Meagher also drew the Tom Mix Purina Giveaway series which I also collect. I liked all of the ME westerns but particularly liked Straight Arrow and Ghost Rider. Ayers best work went into drawing GR but more people collect just the Frazetta covers.

Edited by BB-Gun

And don't forget Bobby Benson. I purchased this cover with no book. Fortunately, a lot of the stories are in the GA.UK collection.

3306802646_89cecf9077_o.jpg

Another pretty good cover by Ayers.

This is pure nostalgia for me. I kept my Straight Arrow books and cards for a long times but recently upgraded everything.

I like Meagher art.

Me too. He has a distinguishable and distinct style quite his own.

Here's # 23, the issue for March 1952 - Wish I had a better copy (wouldn't have gotten this one ... but Metro doesn't scan meh . In fact, that's the last time I ordered from Metro right there)

4017832698_1d26849357_b.jpg

Meagher could draw a pretty good damsel in distress.

The radio series had quite a few premiums associated with it.

Here are a few of the Injun-uities cards that were packaged in Shredded Wheat boxes.

You'll notice that Fred Meagher did the artwork.

straightarrow1.jpg

They solicited fans to write to their local newspapers to pick up the strip.

4017832834_a04205b4f4_b.jpg

More archery lessons and games were advertised in the comic.

4017832774_17789b9fc4_b.jpg

And extra premiums were advertised on the back. All SA 3 scans are from GA.UK

4017069741_ca66aeb25d_b.jpg

I always wanted the secret cave ring and the Ghost Rider Mask.

My favorite was Zorro.

zorro.jpg

I liked the Zorro series on TV. I enjoyed watching Lost in Space with Guy Williams too. Whatever happen to Angela Cartwright? I was waiting for her to call me but I guess since she was only 16, and a few years younger than me, she was too shy.

I noticed my book club edition of Mastermind of Mars has some nice Frazetta illustrations. It is probably cheap and readily available for ERB and FF fans.

4024461074_c8fbcce143_o.jpg

Age and my scanner software have added a little Martian red color to the illo.