• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I know Frank very well. I have seen his collection a number of times.

Dwight, do you know when Frank's collection is scheduled to be auctioned and if John Gunnison is still planning on publishing a Photo-Journal type of book of the covers?

BZ,

He probably will not have the collection ready to sell until July. I talked with John yesterday for about a half hour, and yes he is certainly going to be putting out Gerber like book for Frank's collection. I will let you know when the collection is good to go.

Dwight

BZ,

He probably will not have the collection ready to sell until July. I talked with John yesterday for about a half hour, and yes he is certainly going to be putting out Gerber like book for Frank's collection. I will let you know when the collection is good to go.

Dwight

That will be an amazing book. And July will give me time to start saving my pennies. hm

This Bok issue is a top want for me; an orignal Bok prelim sketch is currently on the market via a dealer. hm

WeirdTales02.jpg

bok20robot20god.jpg

A Bok robot color prelim ... now THERES something worth considering! hm

Nice looking piece Steve!

A nice thing about the old classics is that they exist in any number of charming editions: ‘The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde’ - an 1886 novella by Robert Louis Stevenson - being a perfect example. Here is one from 1930 with decorated boards and endpapers and excellent illustrations…

img328.jpg

img329.jpg

img330.jpg

img470.jpg

Sold at U. S. newsstands are about a dozen pulp magazines with such titles as Amazing Stories, Astounding Stones, Startling Stories, Strange Stories, Fantastic Adventures, Thrilling Wonder Stones, Unknown, Marvel Science Stories, Weird Tales. In the pulp trade they are known as "pseudo-scientifics" or "scientifiction." This week in Manhattan this amazing group of publications produced an amazing show: a convention of their fans.

From Time Magazine, 1939.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,761661-1,00.html

Sold at U. S. newsstands are about a dozen pulp magazines with such titles as Amazing Stories, Astounding Stones, Startling Stories, Strange Stories, Fantastic Adventures, Thrilling Wonder Stones, Unknown, Marvel Science Stories, Weird Tales. In the pulp trade they are known as "pseudo-scientifics" or "scientifiction." This week in Manhattan this amazing group of publications produced an amazing show: a convention of their fans.

From Time Magazine, 1939.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,761661-1,00.html

Excellent article, man. I've been a huge fan of Scientifiction my whole life. ;) (thumbs u

... and then the article goes south from there, looking down at the entire thing.

Thanks for the link.

I never said it had a happy ending. (shrug)

There's been a tremendous amount of progress in the acceptance of science fiction since those early days.

... and then the article goes south from there, looking down at the entire thing.

Thanks for the link.

I never said it had a happy ending. (shrug)

There's been a tremendous amount of progress in the acceptance of science fiction since those early days.

Certainly. I was simply taken aback a bit by the turn the article took. Why dedicate the space to it if that's how it is written. Wouldn't it be better left alone? I just found it saddening and disappointing.

Was posting some Norman Saunders covers in another thread here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4657844&fpart=9

Decided to use the search function to see what had already been posted on him and found nothing! I remember Pat putting up his copy of the Golden Amazon. Wondered if you BZ, or you Pat had any pulps or paperbacks with Saunders covers?

Here is one:

campustown.jpg

Was posting some Norman Saunders covers in another thread here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4657844&fpart=9

Decided to use the search function to see what had already been posted on him and found nothing! I remember Pat putting up his copy of the Golden Amazon. Wondered if you BZ, or you Pat had any pulps or paperbacks with Saunders covers?

Scrooge and I corresponded with Norman's son, David, several years ago and he generously supplied lots of biographical info about his father.

Link