• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

A nice thing about the old classics is that they exist in any number of charming editions: ‘The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde’ - an 1886 novella by Robert Louis Stevenson - being a perfect example. Here is one from 1930 with decorated boards and endpapers and excellent illustrations…

img329.jpg

img330.jpg

Thanks for the scans. :applause:

I didn't realize that Beaman had done work of this nature. I was only familiar with his connection to Toytown and Larry the Lamb.

According to this blog, Beaman also created a comic strip, "Philip and Phido," that was published in a British periodical in the 1920's.

... and then the article goes south from there, looking down at the entire thing.

Thanks for the link.

I never said it had a happy ending. (shrug)

There's been a tremendous amount of progress in the acceptance of science fiction since those early days.

Thanks for the link.

The "pseudo-fictioneer" and "shamo-scientific writer" comments didn't bother me. I enjoyed the article for what it was; probably a fairly accurate representation of what society at large thought of pulp fiction.

I actually take some small amount of pleasure in the knowledge that pulps and comic books were considered lowbrow and appealed to the masses. That's a plus, not a negative, in my book.

I didn't realize that Beaman had done work of this nature. I was only familiar with his connection to Toytown and Larry the Lamb.

According to a blog I read, Beaman also created a comic strip, "Philip and Phido," that was published in a British periodijavascript:%20void(0)cal in the 1920's.

When I saw the illo, I gave a start. Until recently I lived in Buxton, Derbyshire a well preserved Edwardian town high in the hills, and there is a street corner to which this illo is identical! Buxton is a spa town and in Beaman's day Buxton was a fashionable destination and people would regularly come up from London to take the waters. I've tried to track down whether he might have gone there but with no success. Of course there might have been a hundred street corners like this in any given town or city at the time - but it was spooky to see it in a horror book!

img330-1.jpg

In the process of looking him up I came across an article that claimed he was given the memoirs of Jack the Ripper! Brrr!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/8327573.stm

Probably worth of a post here. Link was shared on PulpMags. Just finished watching the video and while nothing new is revealed, it's great to be able to see and hear Gibson tell the facts in his own words.

30 Minutes interview with Walter Gibson -

Walter Gibson and The Shadow TV Interview

That was an excellent link! It was a treat to hear Gibson talking about the Shadow and his work in the pulps. My sister actually got interested in the Shadows first and then got me involved to help hunt down the reprint paperback with the Steranko covers.

Here are a few histories of science fiction fandom that I've read and would recommend to anyone interested in pursuing the subject.

wealthoffable.jpg

A Wealth of Fable

SFfandom.jpg

All Our Yesterdays and The Immortal Storm

Here's my copy of the hand-collated special edition (150 copies). It's nearly an inch thick!

Immortal_Storm.jpg

And another Moskowitz fanzine - New Fandom from 1938. It's a bit washed out, but the images on the cover are all cut and pasted by hand...

New_Fandom.jpg

Western pulps need love too!

Here's a great Saunders cover with an REH story inside.

StarWestern1936-09.jpg

"The Curly Wolf of Sawtooth" was originally written as one of Howard's Breckinridge Elkins stories, a popular Western humor series that was running in Action Stories. This one was apparently rejected, so he changed the name of the main protagonist to "Bearfield Elston" and sold it to rival Star Western instead.

StarWestern1936-09int.jpg

Here's my copy of the hand-collated special edition (150 copies). It's nearly an inch thick!

Immortal_Storm.jpg

And another Moskowitz fanzine - New Fandom from 1938. It's a bit washed out, but the images on the cover are all cut and pasted by hand...

New_Fandom.jpg

Now those are some rare items!! Very cool, Moondog.