• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Interesting propaganda films (although the first one was excruciatingly boring).

I tried to dig for some historical context for "Education for Death" but only got a few hits from the New York Times.

125543.jpg.63ac228f3a1595656f145a11f798c73a.jpg

125544.jpg.3df8a3d833056683278559f3fff12ca1.jpg

I tried to dig for some historical context for "Education for Death" but only got a few hits from the New York Times.

Wikipedia has an informative entry: Education for Death

Here is an excerpt:

Production

Education for Death: The Making of the Nazi was released when Disney was under government contract to produce 32 animated shorts from 1941-1945. This was due to the fact that in 1940 Walt Disney spent four times his budget on the feature film Fantasia (1940) which produced very little in the box office. Nearing bankruptcy and faced with a strike that left less than half of his employees on the payroll, Walt Disney was forced to look for a solution to upturn the production of the studio. Physical proximity to the military aircraft manufacturer, Lockheed, made it convenient for the U.S. government to offer Disney a contract for 32 short propaganda films at $4,500 each which would create work for his employees and in turn save the studio.

125962.jpg

Very cool comic, Boot. :applause:

I remember seeing a copy for sale on eBay 2-3 years ago. The seller was a very knowledgeable, long time collector so he should have noticed the Bill Gaines reference, but he didn't mention it in the item's description. It probably cost him some money as potential bidders may have overlooked the comic.

I'm happy to see that you picked it up.

The seller was a very knowledgeable, long time collector so he should have noticed the Bill Gaines reference, but he didn't mention it in the item's description.

Good memory! You're right, he didn't mention it or include a scan of the back cover. Got it for the contents - complete copies of Popular Comics #9 and The Funnies #1, and that it was a weird giveaway.

Thrilled to see the names on the back cover and realize what it was - a Max Gaines giveaway produced for kids at the camp Bill and Elaine Gaines attended in the summer of 1936.

I'm happy to see that you picked it up.

(thumbs u Thanks!

Here's another one you might enjoy.

peanuts.jpg

June 22, 1952

I remember when this one was auctioned off on Heritage. At the time I thought it was expensive, now I am thinking it was a bargain. Probably one of the most classic Peanut strips, especially for a comic collector.

7232845236_f157e4ef48_b.jpg

You have probably mentioned this movie before but I saw it recently and noticed the numerous comic book references.

Dean takes a job drawing Jerry's favorite character, Bat Lady. Jerry has read so many comics, he dreams about the characters and talks in his sleep. Dean listens to the dreams and incorporates the stories into the comic book plots. A young Shirley Maclaine is the model for Bat Lady and she falls in love with Jerry's character but doesn't want him to know she is Bat Lady. Unfortunately the movie includes a scene where Jerry denounces comics which have caused him to be retarded. Still a nifty approach to comics censorship, blood, gore and superheroes.

You have probably mentioned this movie before but I saw it recently and noticed the numerous comic book references.

Dean takes a job drawing Jerry's favorite character, Bat Lady. Jerry has read so many comics, he dreams about the characters and talks in his sleep. Dean listens to the dreams and incorporates the stories into the comic book plots. A young Shirley Maclaine is the model for Bat Lady and she falls in love with Jerry's character but doesn't want him to know she is Bat Lady. Unfortunately the movie includes a scene where Jerry denounces comics which have caused him to be retarded. Still a nifty approach to comics censorship, blood, gore and superheroes.

Great movie poster! My wife keeps threatening to collect vintage movie posters. :eek:

As for the bit I bolded... :cloud9: Or is it just me?

Great movie poster! My wife keeps threatening to collect vintage movie posters. :eek:

As for the bit I bolded... :cloud9: Or is it just me?

Shirley was never as glamorous as Dorothy Malone but she made a good comic partner with Jerry. She has always been a wonderful actor and filled out the Bat Lady costume.

7232845236_f157e4ef48_b.jpg

The director of Artists and Models was an animation director before moving on to feature films. His work is discussed often on the animation forums.

Mike Barrier Interview with Tashlin

Excerpt From Wikipedia:

Tashlin drifted from job to job after dropping out of high school in New Jersey at age 13. In 1930, he started working for Paul Terry as a cartoonist on the Aesop's Film Fables cartoon series, then worked briefly for Amadee J. Van Beuren, but he was just as much a drifter in his animation career as he had been as a teenager. Tashlin joined Leon Schlesinger's cartoon studio at Warner Bros. as an animator in 1932, where he was noted as a fast animator. He used his free time to start his own comic strip in 1934 called Van Boring, inspired by former boss Van Beuren, which ran for three years. He signed his comic strip "Tish Tash," and used the same name for his cartoon credits (at the time it was considered extremely unprofessional to use anything except one's birth name among animators, but Tashlin was able to get away with this due to the anti-Germanic feelings of that era). Tashlin was fired from the studio when he refused to give Schlesinger a cut of his comic strip revenues. He joined the Ub Iwerks studio in 1934. He moved to Hal Roach's studio in 1935 as a writer. He returned to Schlesinger in 1936 as an animation director where his diverse interest and knowledge of the industry brought a new understanding of camerawork to the Warners directors.

In 1938, he worked for Disney in the story department. Afterward, he served as production manager at Columbia Pictures' Screen Gems animation studio in 1941. Tashlin rejoined the Warner directors of "Termite Terrace" in 1943. He stayed with the studio during World War II and worked on numerous wartime shorts, including the Private Snafu educational films.