• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Wow BZ...

I didn't know Winsor's son also drew comic books.

The style is just like his father's. :o

I've got some Winsor "Nemo" pages scanned from Star comics, I'll try to post them.

Just for comparison purposes... (thumbs u

3330927751_eed13d1e35_b.jpg

Windsor's Nemo had a unique style which reminds me of Escher.

This is Impy from Star #5 by Winsor

impypg1.jpg

Thanks for the scans. :applause:

I wonder if all of Bob McCay's King Feature and Chesler newspaper syndicate's Little Nemo and Impy strips have ever been collected and published in book form (or online)?

I have never found any original comic pages with Nemo although I am sure someone has plenty but there are some great reprint books such as the one described in Brent Swanson's review seen below.

"Give Checker Book Publishing their due: they have mined the Winsor McCay motherload with great diligence. The physical dimensions of their books have often resulted in reprints that are of academic value only, but even that is better than all the gaps that have existed between infrequent and incomplete printings of "Dreams of the Rarebit Fiend" and "Little Nemo." McCay's work is not easy to reprint. Source material is not easily found. And McCay didn't think or work small. This was an artist who cut his artistic teeth creating circus posters. As a vaudeville performer, he brought a full-sized dinosaur onstage.

So we make do with this thick, 9 X 12 volume, and second volume of what is to date the most complete reprinting of McCay's classic Sunday page strip. The strips start in 1909 in the original "Slumberland" run, then continue with the 1911 thru 1914 run under the "In the Land of Wonderful Dreams" title, and then jump to 1924 for the final "Slumberland" run of nearly two years.

The dimensions of these reprints are approximately the same as those of the Remco/Fantagraphics/Evergreen volumes overseen by Richard Marschall and (later) Bill Blackbeard. The color values in those earlier volumes were a bit better, but Checker has done nearly as well.

Is this volume the last word as far as completeness is concerned? Well, Bill Blackbeard claimed, in the early '90s, to be in possession of an unpublished "Slumberland" page from 1926 and to know the whereabouts of one or two others. These don't seem to have made it into this volume. And this volume is missing the final "Wonderful Dreams" strip that appears in the second Sunday Press volume. Given McCay's prolificacy, there could be even more hitherto unknown Nemo gems out there, but carping about their absence here would be as useless as complaining that this book doesn't measure up to the giant volumes from Sunday Press. What Checker has accomplished is to finally brings us a complete run of the strip as it is known to exist. It has taken from the first efforts of other publishers in the mid-'70s till now for this to happen, and we should be grateful to have it. "

You can find these listed at Amazon. I have a lot of Nemo scans which someone made from similar reprints, I think. They are all amazing and his editorial cartoons are pretty impressive too. Thanks BZ.

Edited by BB-Gun

Here's another one you might enjoy.

peanuts.jpg

June 22, 1952

I remember when this one was auctioned off on Heritage. At the time I thought it was expensive, now I am thinking it was a bargain. Probably one of the most classic Peanut strips, especially for a comic collector.

You have to love the commentary on the subject matter of pre-code comics. "For the Kiddies" indeed.

I have a little time to clean out the basement and garage this summer but I stop whenever I find something interesting.

BZ mentioned photographs from Jerry Bails a few months ago. I put all of mine in an album which I stored away in the basement. Here is the album and a few of the pictures.

7338773790_74daededec_z.jpg

7338916988_2ecd20b78e_z.jpg

7338776094_6ec07d27de_c.jpg

7338775414_619a586a7c_z.jpg

7338774662_162f206acc_z.jpg

I will scan some of the others which may work a little better even though they are just black and white photos. But as you said, it was probably the first time I saw many of those covers.

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

BZ mentioned photographs from Jerry Bails a few months ago. I put all of mine in an album which I stored away in the basement. Here is the album and a few of the pictures.

Thanks for posting the photos. :applause:

It's neat that you've hung on to them all these years.

A while back I was going through some boxes of childhood stuff that I had taken from my parents home many years ago and found a diary I had kept in 1963. That was along about when I acquired my first few Golden Age comics and my later contacting Jerry Bails.

I have no idea if I bothered to write down my impressions of discovering fandom and reading my first fanzines, but now I'm curious. The diary has a lock on it and I didn't want to break it so that has prevented me from reading it up to now.

Yesterday I noticed a locksmith has opened up locally so maybe I'll bring the journal over there later this week and see if they can pop open the lock for me.

If I find anything relevant to our discussions here, I'll share it. :wishluck:

A while back I was going through some boxes of childhood stuff that I had taken from my parents home many years ago and found a diary I had kept in 1963. That was along about when I acquired my first few Golden Age comics and my later contacting Jerry Bails.

I have no idea if I bothered to write down my impressions of discovering fandom and reading my first fanzines, but now I'm curious. The diary has a lock on it and I didn't want to break it so that has prevented me from reading it up to now.

Yesterday I noticed a locksmith has opened up locally so maybe I'll bring the journal over there later this week and see if they can pop open the lock for me.

paper clip :gossip:

:popcorn: