• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave's new 12 step program

68 posts in this topic

Okay, I have no discipline in my collecting goals. My true collecting interest is my Batman title run, but I spend money all the time on other things. Examples would be original art, Ghosts, Overstreets, etc. Even within my Batman collecting, I had thought seriously about saving some $$$ for a Batman #1, but that lasted about two weeks when I found some Batman books that I wanted to buy NOW (or really THEN).

Does anyone else waver like crazy like I do? I have gotten a LOT better about things - last year at this time I was buying lots like crazy on ebay just getting a bunch of titles that had caught my interest - now everything fits into a grand scheme of "fill a run or don't bother starting" but my discipline amongst the various runs isn't there at all. The thing is, I really like the stuff that I'm buying. I'm not making "thrill bids" or testing the waters or anything like that. It's tough because the books that I am buying now that aren't Batman are still books that I really like and fit into my overall collecting goals - but that's just it, my goals seem to be all over the place!

Does anybody else have these issues? How do you deal with it? I obviously can't afford every book I want, what do you do to help you prioritize?

Thanks,

DAM

I have the exact same problem Dam, you are definitly not alone in that regard. There are certain titles that I really enjoy and like to collect. However I will see items up for auction that I don't collect but it looks really cool. Just recently I just won three HG CGC Flash books. Which is not bad, except I own no other Flash books. I say if you are happy with your purchases, enjoy. Just don't file chapter 11 for your hobby.

Definitely. But you know what - why change? Completing a run is over-rated. I completed my Tales of Suspense 39-99 run when I was about 18 (sold it in college for beer money - ouch!) and I expected some sort of transcendental nirvana to purify my being when I finally got that last issue (#74, a common one!). Didn't happen! 27_laughing.gif The fact is, the fun is in the pursuit. When you finally complete that Batman run, you'll probably think "well, now what??". Don't lose sleep over it. smile.gif

Definitely. But you know what - why change? Completing a run is over-rated. I completed my Tales of Suspense 39-99 run when I was about 18 (sold it in college for beer money - ouch!) and I expected some sort of transcendental nirvana to purify my being when I finally got that last issue (#74, a common one!). Didn't happen! 27_laughing.gif The fact is, the fun is in the pursuit. When you finally complete that Batman run, you'll probably think "well, now what??". Don't lose sleep over it. smile.gif

shocked.gif BLASPHEMY!!! 893naughty-thumb.gif

The fact is, the fun is in the pursuit.

So true, so true. I KNOW when I complete my pre-code horror set I will start to look either for different cocvers to replace the examples I have or higher condition copies of the ones I already have. It should last me a good long time!

And I DO take the ocassional foray into other areas.

your right, the thrill is in the chase, after you hit it, the game is basicly over. goodevil.gifgossip.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

I have a tendency to hoard comics for the business side. I have continuously over the past three years bought more than I can sell so have amassed a huge overstock right now of 30K books. I am hoping to sell them somewhat quickly and maybe just maybe be able to buy a house but knowing how I work I may never be able to move ahead. When I see a deal to resell I become like the Seagulls in Finding Nemo chasing after it screaming MINE! MINE! MINE! smirk.gifblush.gif

David...I am a scatterbrain as well. I think that I can do one thing, get it completed and start another one but I can't. It doesn't help being a member of this board either as you see things that you have to have that you would never have gone looking for.

I have gone from DC SA (mostly B&B and Bat) to anything that gets my blood pumping.

Don't sweat the little things and just be happy at how eclectic your collection is and will be.

Instead of just vanilla you will have tutti fruitti.

Dam...I am in the same boat as you...if I see something I like that would usually take precident over something I need...

If you allow me I will give you a small sample of my waverness via eBay... crazy.gif

To help complete my Sunburst collection...

C'mon....It's Bozo!!!

Hi...my name is Rick...and I'm a comicholic... shy.gif

Dam...I am in the same boat as you...if I see something I like that would usually take precident over something I need...

If you allow me I will give you a small sample of my waverness via eBay... crazy.gif

To help complete my Sunburst collection...

C'mon....It's Bozo!!!

Mama weer all crazee now............... insane.gif

27_laughing.gif thanks for the response guys! I feel a lot better about things knowing that I am not the only one, but even to look at my past purchases this month (which just got way out of hand):

1 - $265 on 3 original art pages and one Robin sketch from Norm Breyfogle

2 - $180 today on a case of Byrne Superman #1 (how could I resist! I have a collection of cases of sealed books!)

3 - $245 on a bunch of SA batman from the last con

4 - $80 for some great BigMan Batman's (thanks again!)

5 - $20 for a Ghosts 57 (the last one I needed)

6 - $60 on some overstreets!

7 - $50 on a killer Zeck commission

Total % of spending on furthering the run: 36.1%

This has definitely been a horrible month with discretion thrown to the wind, but I still end up buying a lot more than I should in terms of absolute dollars and money spent on the run . . . Especially when I consider that I could have gotten some really nice Bats for that kind of coin, but heh, the Breyfogle pages and sketch are killer, I needed the Ghosts 57 and was tired of waiting, the Zeck commission was practically a freebie since I made a deal with Mike for a commission of a headshot of Batman and Robin for 1/2 price if I put in a crazy snipe on the Two-Face Az 96 cover, and for $60 you can get a whole slew of overstreets!

I'll keep you guys posted, but I think I might seriously use these boards as an emotional support to stop buying stuff tongue.gif Okay, at least to make sure I really want the purchase! grin.gif

DAM

your right, the thrill is in the chase, after you hit it, the game is basicly over. goodevil.gifgossip.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

That is so not the end. Im surprised, as a fellow CGC forum member you should know that the chase never ends. You may have a whole run in 8.0 or 9.0, but there is always a grade above. Until you have aqquired your entire run in 10.0 it is never over. It may just be a pipedream, but it still exists as a possibility. The game has just been upped, not completed. The chase lives on.........

cool.gif

I think I'm going to have to sign up for those 12 step meetings as well....I found out a frightening thing this week....you can only use paypal up to 2500.00 a month when using American Express for funding...who would have figured??

J.D. blush.gif

That is so not the end. Im surprised, as a fellow CGC forum member you should know that the chase never ends. You may have a whole run in 8.0 or 9.0, but there is always a grade above. Until you have aqquired your entire run in 10.0 it is never over. It may just be a pipedream, but it still exists as a possibility. The game has just been upped, not completed. The chase lives on.........

cool.gif

i was talking about something else blush.gif

cool.gif

smirk.gif

cool.gif

blush.gif

cool.gif

blush.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

cool.gif

blush.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

confused.gif