• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave's new 12 step program

68 posts in this topic

So if you are a comicholic - what does this make me, a junkie

Someone with a lot of spare cash...and maybe no wife to check what you are spending it on grin.gif

Man, I would be pushed to spend that much on comics in a year... frown.gif

Even though you bought a lot of books Tom, you did seem to stay relatively focused. Some real nice stuff there...congrats on the pick ups.

Well, you hit it on the head. Financially, I do pretty well but I am not married, my rent and living expenses are about $1200 a month, and my school bills have been paid off. Of course , I figured if I stopped eating and going to bars I could squeeze out another $500 a month in comics ..heheh.

Now I am faced with a dilemma. Heritage has many new X-men . I must resist........must fight it. Arrrgghhh.

Just buy what you like. I personally find buying a whole run of comics just to buy the whole run of comics stupid. I like Spider-Man for example, but could care less about most of the issues, so why bother buying them??

Buy what you like! smile.gif

now tom, what exactly is it that you do again? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifnice buys BTW laugh.gif

I am a man whore who services the rich women of Long Island...... shocked.gif

Or

I am in sales and the spring/summer is very lucrative, so my comic expenditures commensurate with the influx of cash. However, the winter is not nearly as remunerative so my comic purchases decrease proportionally.

Take your pick smirk.gif

Tom

hamptons bartender?

Well the man whore part I just do for entertainment and to master my mangina ( I'm glad supa picked up on that film reference.) I am in the central air conditioning and heating business in the sales and design end. Great in the summer, bad in the winter. You could say the business is really hot or cold ( gaggg - gratuitously bad joke.)

Tom

Need..

To..

Save..

Money..

For...

House..

not in the bayarea bro confused-smiley-013.gif

Tell me about it, anything decent on Long Island is pushing $400K - it is ridiculous. How is the next generation going to afford homes. I would actually have to give up spending money on comics to buy a house ( heaven forbid.)

Tom

I am a man whore who services the rich women of Long Island...... shocked.gif

Ahh, you are the Long Island "Lolito" or the return of Buttafuoco tongue.gif

Or a Howard Stern wannabe... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sadly no, all the women are over 60......

I was in some rinky dinky little comic shop i found by accident today, and while i took a little tour through the heroclix displays, the action figures, and the abundant toystuff, i glanced up to the wallcomics. Avengers, Hulk, ASM, Wolverine, Master of kung fu, Ghost rider, ASM, ASM, ASM, ASM, ASM, ASM, more wolvie....something wasnt right. shocked.gif Where the [!@#%^&^] is all the DC stuff??? I had been so sucked in by the gleam of all these bronze and modern age marvel beauties, that for a few moments, i forgot about DC!!!! 893whatthe.gif Believe it or not, I, a DC man, was on the verge of making his first marvel purchase in years. Thank god that out of the corner of my eye i noticed a silver age flash and a worlds finest. Whew!!! tongue.gif Once i regained my composure i made a das for the door and swore to never again let my mind be controlled by Marvel ever again. cool.gif

Justice League Fiend - you need to go and splash some cold water on your face and say 100 times: "I am a DC guy at heart. Marvel has no power over me"

Also, in crisis situations don't forget the hotline - 1 888 DCS-ONLY

DAM

Need..

To..

Save..

Money..

For...

House..

not in the bayarea bro confused-smiley-013.gif

Tell me about it, anything decent on Long Island is pushing $400K - it is ridiculous. How is the next generation going to afford homes. I would actually have to give up spending money on comics to buy a house ( heaven forbid.)

Tom

Long Island and Manhattan prices have really just skyrocketed. It is really unbelievable. I have to believe that the real estate market will slowly soften - how else can people afford these places ??? Especially with a soft stock market - it seems that the people who would buy a house would have less money for a down payment frown.gif

Sorry, real estate prices get me on a whole tirade . . .

DAM

housing prices will go down when interest rates rise.At6% on mortgage loans, a person making 60K can afford a decent house, when same loan is 10% the eligible field drops off drasticly. people putting off buying today in the hopes of saving a downpayment will be screwed when interest rates rise. But there will be plenty of oppurtunities in the foreclosure field as alot of people are buying houses that simply won't be able to pay their variable loans or ballon payments.

When I got back into comics in 1998, I thought about getting only one book from each of the series I enjoyed as a kid and maybe one new series.

Well, I know have about 250 back issues and about 100 new issues.... with a few more getting added to the want list here and there.

Fortunately, Marvel has seen fit to not produce many new books that I am intererested in (more funds for back issues) and to reprint some of the classics (more funds for back issues that aren't reprinted and will likely never be).

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

My desire to own comics is like a tractor beam. Cannot....resist....bad.....decision-making....

I have changed my major collecting habits twice in only six years 893whatthe.gif, from wanting every Marvel silver age book in F/VF (super completionist), to collecting three titles in NM (a more limited but more difficult and expensive form of completionism), to collecting all the great Marvel SA covers (and a few keys) in HG (about 350 books). Sometimes I get ahead of myself and buy impulsively without thinking about the ramifications... 893naughty-thumb.gif

So I am neither personally disciplined nor financially adept. If I were, I'd always have the cash immediately available. I TRY to follow two rules, however:

1. Don't carry debt forward past the first bill. With all the nickel-and-dime expenses in the comic book marketplace, I don't need interest charges on hundreds of dollars of funny books. So when the credit card statement comes, I have to be ready to pay in full.

2. Keep the comic money in comics. If I go over my monthly budget, I have to sell to make up the difference.

Now...what the heck should I sell to pay for my new FF's? grin.gif

Dan

housing prices will go down when interest rates rise.At6% on mortgage loans, a person making 60K can afford a decent house, when same loan is 10% the eligible field drops off drasticly. people putting off buying today in the hopes of saving a downpayment will be screwed when interest rates rise. But there will be plenty of oppurtunities in the foreclosure field as alot of people are buying houses that simply won't be able to pay their variable loans or ballon payments.

At one time I would agree with you but not totally anymore. I've have heard what you wrote before but I just cannot see the homes dropping enough for anyone who makes only $60,000 to afford a decent house regardless of the interest rate and the numbers just do not work. If you work up the numbers, how is the payments that different if you are paying 10% on a 260k mortgate or on a 360K mortgage? The average price of the house in Nassau county is pushing 400K. If you put 10% down then that is a 360,000 mortgage. Under the current rates it is about $600 per $90K ( give or take a little and then adding in PMI, closing costs blah, blah blah). Taxes would easily be $6k a year ( believe me that is conservative.) You are already at $2900 for mortgage and taxes. A person making $60K will take home about $3500 a month so that will leave $600 of discrentiary income to buy food, utilities, etc.. If you did the same calculation on a mortgage $100k less ( like a foreclosure or drastic price drop) and at 10% interest, you payments would be about $130 more per month - leaving just $470 left to pay bills. None of this takes into account cost of living increases, the 4.5% to 12% raise in property taxes slated for the next few years etcc.... Even if you moved to Suffolk county and reduced your payments by 25%, it is still too much.Most economists/accountants recommend that your debt to income ratio ( in relation to your home loan) do not exceed 30% of your gross total income or for your total debt ration to be at most 36% for your total gross income. This is what lenders look at and would never get a mortgage high enough with a $60k income. With all this, unless you have a huge downpayment, it is not within the reach of someone making $60k

In reality, the best thing you could do right now is rent and invest. While that may not always be practical for a mid to large family, it definitely makes sense for singles or couples. Your expenses would be much lower then buying a home and , if you invest the money you would spent on a new home - you would end up with more money (provided you are disciplined.)

Perhaps if I just sell all my comics I can buy a house. But then, what menaing would my life have............... confused-smiley-013.gif hehe