• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave's new 12 step program

68 posts in this topic

Ah the multi-collector syndrome... smile.gif

I'm pretty good at sticking to my want-list, I barely buy something that isn't on it, trouble is that the want list gets bigger all the time frown.gif

When I started collecting comics about 2 years ago, my main goal was to get all the Iron man books. Once that got going I wanted to get all the ABC line books and most books Alan Moore wrote as well.

Once these finished I decided to get all X-men and Uncanny X-men (from 94 upward),when these runs were close to being complete I went to Master of Kung Fu, Marvel Team-Up and Defenders. Completed these and then started on Avengers and the two big ones Fantastic Four and ASM...

That's the good thing about Marvel, there's always another series to start collecting smile.gif

My FF and Avengers series growing close to completion and I'm developing a fondness for Conan, Marvel Two-in-One and Captain America, three titles I don't own a single comic from....should take me off the streets for another 6 to 12 months.

But having said that, due to this board and some of its members I have developed a fondness for cool covers,so I'm also trying to find books with my favorite covers as standalone issues and not part of a run..

I shiver to think where this will end... insane.gif

i had been struggling with focus for over 15 years. I finally gave up the fight and just buy whatever i like whenever it seems right to do so. If you love comics, you can't help but to love all types of different comics. I have everything from a Timely Captain america to recent vertigo minis & everything inbetween. I am a sucker for great covers, and that is also what kills runs for me, there are ALWAYS clunkers. Some covers are so bad, i don't want to look at them, so why buy them to fill in a hole in a run. Even amzing spidey, damn if i ever buy a #108 or #109, i HATE those covers!!! on the other hand i don't care for thor much, but have some thor covers i just loved. Just follow your whim, diversity is fun!

I actually don't have a real want list... I basically collect Silver/Bronze Marvels, but I buy anything that I am interested in or like. My goal, however, is to buy a book once, something that was never a concern of mine. Most times, that's getting the best available copy and being able to live with it. I don't always want/need to pay for a 9.4, but for post 1980 books 9.4 is the lowest grade I'll accept.

I divide my budget for buying basically like this... the primary entertainment dollar I spend each month is on comics. The only other real money I spend is on dinner/drinks out... and the occassional sporting event. I don't collect many other things, and since I'm forced to wear a suit everyday, buying an extensive wardrobe isn't an issue... it leaves a good amount of money for me each month to buy comics. There are plenty of months where I don't spend my budget... this gets put into a separate account just for comics spending. Thus, in the summer, I spend probably double my normal budget... but it's only because I bought next to nothing in december and january. I prefer to buy my books at shows or in person, so in the summer, I'm more prone to spend...

There are plenty of times I go over budget during the year... but I just don't collect one book at a time because there are always deals on a variety of books I might want. In fact yesterday I picked up several NM Marshall Rogers Detectives for guide... which I thought was a fair deal but would have passed on ordinarily if I stuck to just buying Journey Into Mysterys (which I'm currently focussed on)... now I'll wait til big apple in september or baltimore before I buy seriously again. It can be very addicting though.