• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NY Times article on Quality & Centaur artist Art Pinajian

3 posts in this topic

The home of deceased Quality and Centaur artist Art Pinajian was recently sold (he passed in 1999, his sister just recently died, apparently), and the contents of the house included a trove of his artwork and journals.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/14/nyregion/14artist.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=nyregion

found via the Beat:

http://pwbeat.publishersweekly.com/blog/2007/03/14/you-cant-take-it-with-you/

I hope the comic-relevant material eventually finds its way into the hands of some of our comic historians. Sounds like an interesting time capsule of the man's work.

Now, that's a very sad story to me. The guy did tons of work for Centaur then mainly for Quality. There's probably some interesting comic artwork in that collection but it seems no-one including the writer of the article (whose research consisted and stopped at Googling foreheadslap.gif) has an inkling of the extent of his work in that field.

The story has another bitter-sweet taste to me because I recalled immediately that Art's cousin is (was?) Chuck Mazoujian who was still alive when Art died. They must have grown apart / distant over the years since Chuck obviously didn't make any effort to go through Art's estate. The article makes it sound like the house has been vacant for a while. I would hate for the potential comic book pages to get lost or thrown away. Now, I'm sure some dealers will hear of this and rescue the pages. In fact, I hope they do! Would Stephen F. place a call for such obscure an artist's work? If you read this, please do!

Here are a couple of words from Chuck Mazoujian about his cousin, Art Pinajian:

"He was a very bright, amusing guy, and he was a pretty good writer who could come up with nice ideas. He was a little older than me (Scrooge note: Chuck was born in 1917). We grew up together as kids, and I loved him; he was a marvelous man. Art was good with ideas, but he wasn't a very good draftsman. He used to go to the Art Students League two or three nights a week to study figure drawing. He was very faithful about going, but he could never improve his work very much. He did some interesting, almost abstract drawings that I liked.

When we got together, we would talk about painting, art, and the guys whose work we loved: Norman Rockwell, Rembrandt, and the top illustrators of the day. Art loved painting, and that's what he did later in his life. I got word that he had died about a year and a half ago."

This would have been a better tribute to Art than the NY Times article!! The interview with Chuck by Jim Amash was published in Alter Ego # 48 in May 2005 and, yes, I still remember reading it!