• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What exactly did I just buy?

6 posts in this topic

Anybody ever see a comic that kinda looked like it had a serious spine roll that was pressed out? The common defect is "wear" down the length of the comic usually about 1/4" from the spine. Comic NOW lays perfectly flat. What I'm talking about is a FF #3. Paid VG guide for it and it certainly looks like a VG, but I am wondering if this unusual defect could perhaps be a cadidate for the dreaded purple label as I'm pretty sure it's been pressed. At least it looks like it's been pressed as I can't understand any other way this defect could be there. I would appreciate comments based on the description and sorry I can't provide a scan.

Help confused.gif

Pressing out a spine roll without dismantling the book is something I believe any professional restorer would advise against, except for a very minor roll using a book press over time. However, the book laying "perfectly flat" indicates this was probably done with a Seal-type dry mount press, which entails dismantling the book and pressing/reassembling in stages. However, if done properly it would probably pass CGC's blue label inspection.