• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IS THIS A REPRINT OR SOMETHING?

29 posts in this topic

Hee hee...

As a young buyer of comics in the 70s I think I know.

Those diamond shaped price things without UPC might have been subscription copies sent directly to dealers/subscribers.

Not meant for over the counter sales...

I aways hated those when buying back issues because I thought they were ugly compared to the normal looking ones with the square shaped price/issue box.

Doesn't seem to matter now-days I guess. tongue.gif

Read the first page (or inside front cover).

There should be two copyright dates there if it'a a reprint.

The date of the original story and the date of this book's publication.

Yeah your right.

The UPC was on the bag.

Normally 3 in a bag wasn't it?

It's hard to remember 25 years ago... 27_laughing.gif

It's from the 3 pack bags.

The same type as the Star-Wars reprints.

This book is not a reprint, however.

I believe the only books that were reprints were the Star-Wars books.

Let the 3 pack variant hunt begin! 893frustrated.gif

maybe this from kevthemev can help:

Re: Puzzled by VARIANTS [Re: Mister_Comics]

#95712 - 01/19/03 01:30 PM Edit Reply Quote

No, I don't believe that there is anything in printing yet that details the different versions of Marvel and DC comics printed in the late 1970's.

Fact is that during the late 1970's Marvel was experimenting with the way their comics were (1) priced and (2) distributed/marketted.

Parts of the print runs were set aside for various regional pricing experiments (hence the LIMITED price variants) and to sell within different markets (Whitman packs, direct sales to comic shops, overseas distribution).

This experimentation continued into the next decade. As the 1980's began there were two types of comics printed - newsstand (UPC code and price and number box) and direct sales (price and number diamond and UPC with slash later Spidey head or DC logo). UK newsstand copies had the price in English pence on them.

As the Canadian dollar began to lose value compared to the US dollar and as the UK market was opening up for newsstand and direct sales comics there are also different newsstand variants that also exist in 1980's Marvel and DC Comics as the Canadian and UK newsstand copies have the price in those countries currencies rather than USD. Canadian and UK Direct Sales copies were identical to US direct sales copies as all three prices were listed.

Starburst was used for the "Still only 25 cents" box on the newsstand comics while on the Whitmans and direct sales copies the starburst outline is seen but is blacked in and contains the usual black diamond.

What is the original if both versions were printed at the same time? Perhaps, aside from the Whitmans we should keep it simple:

Newsstand Version (US$)

Newsstand Version UK price (1960's -on)

Newsstand Version CAN price (early 1980's on)

Whitman Version (all sorts of variations per issue, no constant except for the black diamond price and number box)

Direct Sales Version (middle of 1978 on, bar code with slash or Spidey/DC logo, black diamond price and number box)

Kev

maybe this from kevthemev can help:

Re: Puzzled by VARIANTS [Re: Mister_Comics]

#95712 - 01/19/03 01:30 PM Edit Reply Quote

No, I don't believe that there is anything in printing yet that details the different versions of Marvel and DC comics printed in the late 1970's.

Fact is that during the late 1970's Marvel was experimenting with the way their comics were (1) priced and (2) distributed/marketted.

Parts of the print runs were set aside for various regional pricing experiments (hence the LIMITED price variants) and to sell within different markets (Whitman packs, direct sales to comic shops, overseas distribution).

This experimentation continued into the next decade. As the 1980's began there were two types of comics printed - newsstand (UPC code and price and number box) and direct sales (price and number diamond and UPC with slash later Spidey head or DC logo). UK newsstand copies had the price in English pence on them.

As the Canadian dollar began to lose value compared to the US dollar and as the UK market was opening up for newsstand and direct sales comics there are also different newsstand variants that also exist in 1980's Marvel and DC Comics as the Canadian and UK newsstand copies have the price in those countries currencies rather than USD. Canadian and UK Direct Sales copies were identical to US direct sales copies as all three prices were listed.

Starburst was used for the "Still only 25 cents" box on the newsstand comics while on the Whitmans and direct sales copies the starburst outline is seen but is blacked in and contains the usual black diamond.

What is the original if both versions were printed at the same time? Perhaps, aside from the Whitmans we should keep it simple:

Newsstand Version (US$)

Newsstand Version UK price (1960's -on)

Newsstand Version CAN price (early 1980's on)

Whitman Version (all sorts of variations per issue, no constant except for the black diamond price and number box)

Direct Sales Version (middle of 1978 on, bar code with slash or Spidey/DC logo, black diamond price and number box)

Kev

The only correction I would make to the above is that the bar code with slash didn't start until the June 1979 cover dates and lasted until early 1980 where the spidey face took over. Before this you either had a blank upc or a normal upc with the black diamond.

Gawd...what's next...a variant variant???... confused-smiley-013.gif

already exists in the form of Marvel price variants with a Mark Jewelers insert! tongue.gif

Ok then...let me rephrase..."what's next...a variant variant variant???"... confused-smiley-013.gif