• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - History on the Message Board?

72 posts in this topic

for some reason the earliest posts (pre-9/02) are missing?

There was a Forum clean-up by the mods early on (I thought it was a bit later than 9/02) and all those original posts were deleted.

Jim

There was a Forum clean-up by the mods early on (I thought it was a bit later than 9/02) and all those original posts were deleted.

Jim

Yeah....all my highly-informative-super-intelligent threads are gone forever... frown.gif

Jim

Yeah....all my highly-informative-super-intelligent threads are gone forever... frown.gif

27_laughing.gif

Jim

27_laughing.gif

Also, as a follow-up to my post...the clean-up may have been needed as a result of the Boards crashing and going off-line for a day or so. Anyone remember that? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

Jim

27_laughing.gif

Not to mention all those early, HTF, sought after, pre-loads of people on the Forum period, antideluvian greggy graemlins. All gone. tongue.gifwink.gif

Also, as a follow-up to my post...the clean-up may have been needed as a result of the Boards crashing and going off-line for a day or so. Anyone remember that? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

I seem to recall the boards crashing fairly frequently back then...but the one your talking about was a biggie now that you mention it... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I remember my first memory of this place... it was in about 2002 and I remember seeing a thread about ASM and #300 going on eBay for about $200 in this " 9.8 " I never heard of.. I was just lurking then... this has been a good place with a lot of good people ( or at least colourful people ) over time. thumbsup2.gif

Jim

Has it really been downhill from there for you?

There used to be a member rating system (just as there is for threads), but that didn't survive because it quickly became a way for feuding members to get back at one another, and in many cases, it was just over differences of opinion.

A lot more in-fighting used to happen even as far back as 3-4 years ago. Flame wars would turn nasty pretty quickly, and there were a few instances where members were called out to put up their dukes, fights were being staged, but nothing ever came of any of them that I can recall. I got into it with jc once myself, but I also recall something similar between supa and hammer.

I also used to write a lot more - and not in terms of contributing, but in terms of actual word count. That's how I ended-up with my custom title (custom titles also happened a lot less frequently back then).

Jim

Has it really been downhill from there for you?

Nah...been an uphill climb ever since... Christo_pull_hair.gif

He was the noblest of them all... he was:

Snizzenfixit. 736.jpg

Good ol' snizz... cloud9.gif

I remember..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif...The forums being a close knit (tiny) community such as when we chipped in to buy Joanna a VCR ...The forum flame wars using greamlins of which none were available here....The astonishingly witty Lighthouse threads....Greggy actually usings words and stuff....

Man...those were the dayz.... cloud9.gif

You know... I wasn't the first guy with a custom title, and this custom title wasn't even my first here... But I have soooooo earned the one I have now... sumo.gif

Thankfully, my work schedule is getting more sane. And I will be traveling the country a bit more in the next year. Might be time to bust out some old school Lighthouse Travelogues... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But I think what this board needs most... (at least most after a conclusion to the Crisis thread)... is a return of the Roasts... we have so many members that really deserve a good roast. And roasts make such good opportunities to give out prizes. cloud9.gif Just yesterday I was unpacking some boxes and found my grand prize for winning Joanna's roast, which of course got me thinking about the prize I sent Mr Bugaboo when he competed in mine... I do wonder if he ever got those pages unstuck... tongue.gif

Sigh... good times...

But I think what this board needs most... (at least most after a conclusion to the Crisis thread)... is a return of the Roasts... we have so many members that really deserve a good roast. And roasts make such good opportunities to give out prizes. cloud9.gif Just yesterday I was unpacking some boxes and found my grand prize for winning Joanna's roast, which of course got me thinking about the prize I sent Mr Bugaboo when he competed in mine... I do wonder if he ever got those pages unstuck... tongue.gif

Sigh... good times...

I sold everything I won in Greggy's roast cloud9.gif

Sigh... good times...

I sold everything I won in Greggy's roast cloud9.gif

frown.gif