• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TMNT #1 Art on Ebay? Legit? Scam? WTF?

85 posts in this topic

Zero feedback seller "kevineastmanstudios" just listed the complete cover and interiors for TMNT #1 on ebay. My initial reaction was "scam," since the pictures have been available on Eastman's site for years (where the book was "for sale" at a million dollars or a similarly ridiculous number).

After further inspection, I'm starting to think it might be legit. They accept credit cards, the layout is good and the location is correct from what I know of Eastman.

If it's real, that's one hell of a drop in asking price (although there is a reserve).

Here's the link...

Yeah - its skeptical, for sure. I just can't decide if its real or not - you would think if Eastman was selling it he would be hyping the auction on heavymetal.com.

One of the heavymetal.com people is a board member here - I'll send them a PM.

Fiona Russell is listed as the contact and she *is* associated with Kevin Eastman.

Yep - she is. I shot her a couple of e-mails, but I assume its on the up and up.

With that being said, I'm sure this has a super-high reserve, and is pretty much on eBay just to stir up attention for the movie (which is a smart idea).

Probably legit? I'm sure the reserve price is much higher, but they didn't want to scare off all bidding. I would imagine this is an auction that is actually more of an advertisement for it, and perhaps may result in a post-auction sale.

I would imagine this is an auction that is actually more of an advertisement for it, and perhaps may result in a post-auction sale.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. At least it looks like Eastman is serious about moving the book now rather than letting it collect dust on his website.

Maybe we'll all get lucky and the eventual buyer will break the book up. I doubt it'll happen, but I'd pay through the nose for a panel page from it.

Maybe we'll all get lucky and the eventual buyer will break the book up. I doubt it'll happen, but I'd pay through the nose for a panel page from it.

Ok, let's break it down,

cover... $12k

splash ...$4k

page $800-1200, 38 of those.

A 9.4 copy of the book 3K.

That totals 57k... and it's currently on $65K!! with only 3 bidder's in it...interesting stuff!

Probably legit? I'm sure the reserve price is much higher, but they didn't want to scare off all bidding. I would imagine this is an auction that is actually more of an advertisement for it, and perhaps may result in a post-auction sale.

Or it's a sideways advertisement for the new film. Getting people on Ebay talking about it, getting all goopy nostaligic about it, and maybe just getting a few more folks noticing that there is a film about to be released.

Either it's an ad for the book to be sold later or its an ad for the film and a very very inexpensive way to add to word of mouth discussion of the turtles.

Chris

Ok, let's break it down,

cover... $12k

splash ...$4k

page $800-1200, 38 of those.

A 9.4 copy of the book 3K.

That totals 57k... and it's currently on $65K!! with only 3 bidder's in it...interesting stuff!

I sure WISH the interiors to this were available for $800-1200 a piece... smile.gif

I sure WISH the interiors to this were available for $800-1200 a piece... smile.gif

The book right now is hot property...simply because it's the first time it's hitting the market. But assuming all pages reach the market beyond this initial sale as a whole, or trickled out, I can't see the pages going too much over this figure.

I can't rememeber (haven't read my copy for a while), is there a centre double page? If so, that would definitely fetch some big bucks. But a regular pages, $2k, $2,500, $3k... There a lot of fan's out there...but how many are OA collector's looking to add a little TMNT at top rates to their collection?

The book right now is hot property...simply because it's the first time it's hitting the market. But assuming all pages reach the market beyond this initial sale as a whole, or trickled out, I can't see the pages going too much over this figure.

I can't rememeber (haven't read my copy for a while), is there a centre double page? If so, that would definitely fetch some big bucks. But a regular pages, $2k, $2,500, $3k... There a lot of fan's out there...but how many are OA collector's looking to add a little TMNT at top rates to their collection?

It's not the first time it's hitting the market, it's been for sale for awhile. First time on ebay though.

While I'm not a huge TMNT fan, I still like them. I also see the historical aspect of this art. If I had to take a wild guess I wouldn't see the interior pages selling for any less than 5k each (if they were ever seperated at all which I doubt would happen).

Trust me, all the prices you quoted are waaaay low. I wouldnt hesitate one second to buy the cover for $12K and I'm a cheap ba$ 27_laughing.gif

Three panel pages from Cerebus #1 sold on Heritage back in '03 for $2300, $2357 and $2587 respectively. That was 4 years ago and although TMNT #1 may or may not be as significant as Cerebus #1, I think it's safe to say that TMNT #1 panel pages would beat those numbers.

I'll play:

The cover would sell for 30K+

Think I'm wrong? Think about what the cover of Primer #2 was offered privately...and it made it to at least 15K on eBay...and that's for Grendel! TMNT has a massive international fan base...

If a Miller DKR PAGE can go for 25K, then the cover to TMNT #1 could certainly sell in a similar range.

The DPS would go for 10K-15K and the primo pages would go for 5K - 7.5K but I think most would sell in the 3K - 5K range.

Eastman has had this book for sale for a million dollars for years now.

I think FMV for the complete book (which can command a premium) with the cover and all of the other extras thrown in is around 250K

I'll play:

The cover would sell for 30K+

Think I'm wrong? Think about what the cover of Primer #2 was offered privately...and it made it to at least 15K on eBay...and that's for Grendel! TMNT has a massive international fan base...

I agree the Cover would sell for a huge number...I don't doubt the cover is worth grail level money to someone.

However, using the Primer #2 as an example is not ideal.

It was put up with a $15k minimum bid with a reserve and I remember it getting a single bid at that number...but with the "reserve" showing it was not going anywhere. I do remember some people contacting the seller and getting a pretty good run around about a sale price.

I don't consider the Primer #2 Ebay auction as a serious offer to sell, and I would not put any stock in the minimum bid the seller decided to list. More red flags than the Swiss Embassy.

Chris

I think FMV for the complete book (which can command a premium) with the cover and all of the other extras thrown in is around 250K

The term "historically significant" is overused and bandied about freely in the comic art world when the piece in question is almost always only important or significant to a very small segment of the population. In this case, however, I think "historically significant" does truly apply - we are talking about something that became an international pop culture phenomenon, appearing in print, on TV, in the movies and in countless merchandising items.

I think your estimates for the numbers sound pretty reasonable, as far as $250K for any comic art can be deemed "reasonable". insane.gif Certainly the other estimates ($12K for the cover, $800-$1,200 for the pages) are way too low; I would write a check for all of it right now at those levels and I'm not even that big a fan.