• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TMNT #1 Art on Ebay? Legit? Scam? WTF?

85 posts in this topic

$250,099 - Reserve Met

Nope wasn't me 27_laughing.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif wonder who it coulda been.

Bidder #1 opened the bidding and then bid it up to $1 short of reserve.

That's gotta be some kind of ESP, right?

Chris

It's getting to the point though, that if it was broken up, the art would have to sell to some pretty big TMNT fans. I mean, would you pay 10K-12K for a GREAT TMNT#1 page? Also, what's the resale if you did get a primo page? It's not like ASM #31 where 10K+ pages were selling for under 10K because no one bidder bid enough for the entire book against the individual pages...but I don't really see that page valuation differential happenning in this case...plus the ASM book had 22 pages - this book has 40...are there 40 people who would pay an average of 5K/page? There just doesn't seem to be much profit potential in buying the book to split it up at 250K. However, say you had the cash and just wanted the cover - you could probably make enough from the rest of the book to make it worth your while...but we're talking small group of people on that...and it's already at 250K - the prospects worsen as the book continues to be bidded up.

It is curious as to why this would be sold. These were the characters that set you up for life. Why would you not want to hang on to that? I mean, for a million dollars (the original asking price) - sure - since no matter how rich you are - a million dollars is still a lot of money - but why sell it for a quarter of that?

It's getting to the point though, that if it was broken up, the art would have to sell to some pretty big TMNT fans. I mean, would you pay 10K-12K for a GREAT TMNT#1 page? Also, what's the resale if you did get a primo page? It's not like ASM #31 where 10K+ pages were selling for under 10K because no one bidder bid enough for the entire book against the individual pages...but I don't really see that page valuation differential happenning in this case...plus the ASM book had 22 pages - this book has 40...are there 40 people who would pay an average of 5K/page? There just doesn't seem to be much profit potential in buying the book to split it up at 250K. However, say you had the cash and just wanted the cover - you could probably make enough from the rest of the book to make it worth your while...but we're talking small group of people on that...and it's already at 250K - the prospects worsen as the book continues to be bidded up.

Well, I'm a bit surprised that the reserve was only 1/4 of the original asking price. Now that the reserve has been hit, I agree, the higher it goes, the less likely it will be broken up. At least in the short term.

Having said that, the book has a high ratio of solid action/team pages to filler pages, any one of which would make a great representative piece for an OA collection. I could definitely see 40 pages being sold for an average of $5K/page or more. Beyond the obvious big ticket item (the cover), I could see page #1 go for $10K+ and the page 2,3 splash go for $20K. Can the pages be sold for enough individually to justify breaking up the book? I hope so...I'd love to get a page!

$250,099 - Reserve Met

Nope wasn't me 27_laughing.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif wonder who it coulda been.

Bidder #1 opened the bidding and then bid it up to $1 short of reserve.

That's gotta be some kind of ESP, right?

Chris

I was kind of wondering the same thing. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You gotta love the New eBay Anonymity. yeahok.gif

But we'll know when they win.

We'll know who the winner is....not all the other bidders and not the ID of bidder #1, unless of course he wins.

C

The reserve just un met itself. Did somebody back out on a bid?

The reserve just un met itself. Did somebody back out on a bid?

Yup...with 16 hours to go, the top bidder just chickened out:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=180097047814

"Entered wrong amount" indeed!

I had a feeling something like that was going to happen. Even if the seller is legit, the bidding in this auction has been fishy from the get go, starting from the bidder who bid multiple times to an amount that coincidentally enough was right below the reserve, to the bidder who went past the reserve and now has withdrawn the bid. mad.gif

Metro has a prelim from the book up on the bay if it's any solace?