• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where do you learn restoration techniques??

31 posts in this topic

Here's a good site http://www.comic-book-restoration.com/Restoration_Treatments.html

also research some of the threads here for some informative stuff thumbsup2.gif

Nice site. Quick and to the point.

VERY nice site. That Xmen is great. When you look at it and it goes from a 1.0 to a 7...see I'm 100% against restored comics, but when the choice is a dust in the bag book or one you can really enjoy looking at...

(however still would not want to pay the 7.0 price for that book).

Here's a good site http://www.comic-book-restoration.com/Restoration_Treatments.html

VERY nice site. That Xmen is great. When you look at it and it goes from a 1.0 to a 7...see I'm 100% against restored comics, but when the choice is a dust in the bag book or one you can really enjoy looking at...

Vince's site is excellent, but he has some even better pictures that aren't on there. A couple of pictures he emailed to me when we were comparing notes were from the X-Men #1 that he restored, using a homemade leaf caster (built with supplies from Home Depot and a Wet/Dry Shop-Vac) to fill in the missing holes. The job he did with the leaf caster was miles better than it would have looked if he had tried to infill with layered Japan paper or even by grafting other comic book paper to fill the missing pieces. The holes were filled seamlessly with the leaf caster. I was extremely impressed.

Do most people take museum courses?

I think this would be awesome to learn, not jsut for comics, but old photos, old currency, sentimental newpaper articles, etc...

Anyone have any idea how to learn this stuff?

You realize you just ruined any street cred you had here as a comic seller...

Why do you say that? confused.gif Just because someone wants to learn how to restore books doesn't mean he's a crook.

Perhaps I should have used a smiley. My intent was to be taken with a grain of salt.

Hmmm.. how about adding this one to my last post: poke2.gif

FFB makes a good point though -- many people automatically assume that if you are interested in restoring books then you're using the knowledge for nefarious purposes.

In fact, while walking around at the ChicagoCon with Scott he showed me how understanding restoration techniques is essential to being an informed and astute buyer of old comics. If you know how restoration techniques are done, it makes it easier to spot restoration on a book. So anyone who buys books should have a basic understanding of the processes as well as basic knowledge on how to spot it.

thumbsup2.gif

Vince's site is excellent, but he has some even better pictures that aren't on there. A couple of pictures he emailed to me when we were comparing notes were from the X-Men #1 that he restored, using a homemade leaf caster (built with supplies from Home Depot and a Wet/Dry Shop-Vac) to fill in the missing holes. The job he did with the leaf caster was miles better than it would have looked if he had tried to infill with layered Japan paper or even by grafting other comic book paper to fill the missing pieces. The holes were filled seamlessly with the leaf caster. I was extremely impressed.

Hey, Thanks for the kind words! I put a lot of time into that website last summer and unfortunately have been too busy to finish up the leafcasting section. I'm by no means an expert, but the site demonstrates the same curiousity that others here have expressed.

FFB - by any chance would you still have those pictures handy? My laptop crashed three weeks ago resulting in me losing those in-progress shots. tongue.gif

Hey, Thanks for the kind words! I put a lot of time into that website last summer and unfortunately have been too busy to finish up the leafcasting section. I'm by no means an expert, but the site demonstrates the same curiousity that others here have expressed.

FFB - by any chance would you still have those pictures handy? My laptop crashed three weeks ago resulting in me losing those in-progress shots. tongue.gif

I sure do! Do you want them posted here where you can grab them, or should I email them to you?

I sure do! Do you want them posted here where you can grab them, or should I email them to you?

Great! Could you e-mail them to me? It's funny, my computer went on me and I was frantically trying to think of the things I had lost and didn't have a copy of (don't ask me why ...). These pictures would have occured to me sooner or later.

Great! Could you e-mail them to me? It's funny, my computer went on me and I was frantically trying to think of the things I had lost and didn't have a copy of (don't ask me why ...). These pictures would have occured to me sooner or later.

thumbsup2.gif They are zipping through cyberspace on their way to you as we speak.