• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Origin/Story Behind Library of Congress Golden Age Collecton

3 posts in this topic

I was fortunate enough to pick up this #1 copy of Captain Marvel Storybook (Summer 1946) at the NYC Con last month. As you can see by the cover this was the copy Fawcett submitted to the Library of Congress for filing in its serial collection.

I have heard several stories about the origin of how these copies emerged from the stacks of the LOC. (1) That Steve Geppi purchased the collection when they were being thrown out in the 1990s; (2) That some other MD collector/dealer purchased the collection when they were being thrown out in the 1990s and later sold them to Geppi; (3) That the books were found within other papers being thrown out; (4) That the books were stolen.

Anyone know the true story?

LOC-copy.jpg

(4) That the books were stolen.

If it were the 1960s I would find the other options credible - but the 1990s? I imagine folks have been pilfering periodicals from the LOC for decades.