• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GerberDataPlease...

17 posts in this topic

Nothing under "Robotmen of the Lost Planet." Another name perhaps? Gerber jumps from Robin Hood Tales to Rocket Comics. Sorry frown.gif

Check that. Searching the index (duh!) referenced "Robotmen of the Lost Planet" to a title called Space Thrillers published by Avon. If this is your book (pub date 1954) it has a Gerber index of 7. That's pretty scarce. Hope this helps.

I just picked up a "Robotmen of the Lost Planet"...would someone be so kind as to tell me what the Gerber rating on this bad boy is??? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Two versions...

Space Thrillers nn - 25c cover price 1954 - Gerber 7 (lists as Scarce in Overstreet)

Strange Worlds 19 - 10c cover 1955 - Gerber 6

So which is it?

This actually IS Robotmen of the Lost Planet. There are two keys in identifying it and books of its ilk: the 10cent price and the AVON logo. This is one of a long series of Avon 1-shots. You can find them grouped in the Gerber Guide under Avon Periodicals. I am actively seeking a few from this series for my pre-code horror type set.

Gerber also lists this one as a 7 in the scarcity index. Gerber owners can find the Avon Periodicals in Vol One with series number 139. This book is 139-43, is dated 1952 (most of the Avon 1-shots don't have an associated month) with Kinstler art.

This series is credited with the first all-horror comic book: the 1947 Eerie.

Maybe you should buy my extra set of Gerber books.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks for the help guys... wink.gif

Here is one from an old Heritage auction...as far as I know it has no other name.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Robotmen of the Lost Planet

How much for your extra Gerbers???... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

POV is correct of course... there are three different versions of this book and yours is the coolest of the three. smile.gif

As far as the Gerbers, I would rather sell them as a set of 4 (both Golden volumes and both Marvel volumes). Retail on them totals around 210... RTS advertises the set in Overstreet for 165 (on page 137 of the current guide). They also want 16 for shipping. They are very heavy, but that still seems high to me...

I'd do the set for 150 including shipping if you are interested... LMK...

'House

Thanks again guys...

lighthouse...let me ponder the deal...I am very interested but I have spent quite a bit on comics lately and my budget is a little low at the moment...perhaps in a couple of weeks I will take you up on your generous offer... cloud9.gif

Believe me you buy those Gerbers & you will be spending ALOT more than you ever imagined! The eye candy in those books is amazing! cloud9.gif

Yes indeedy. Araich - if you have never seen the Gerber Guides you are going to feel almost like a new collector all over again. It is like discovering this vast world of amazing things. Now many of the photos are a little small but the repsoduction quality is SO good that you can actually glean detail and they hold up to some magnification.

I have gotten years and years of real enjoyment with these books. Also, they are VERY handy when ordering from a mail order catalogue or web site. Now not ALL the GA books are shown, but the majority are. I've spent many a fun hour with an internet site or catalogue, checking off titles I am interested in, then checking the photo guide for an image. I consider them a necessity.

Believe me you buy those Gerbers & you will be spending ALOT more than you ever imagined! The eye candy in those books is amazing! cloud9.gif

You know...that really does weigh heavily on my mind...in fact, when I recieved my latest Heritage Auction catalogue it was a catalyst to search for a few of the books that were pictured in it... crazy.gif...Guess I'll have to work some OT... insane.gif