• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dad&Son's Comic Con report

53 posts in this topic

Run in a hotel basement that felt like I was in Hades devil.gif frickin' hot in the place.. classy establishment with a strip joint connected to it 27_laughing.gif

Note to self: Attend more comic conventions in Winnipeg... grin.gif

Great report, Paul, and even greater pickups! Those WW are classics! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Steve thumbsup2.gif you going to San Diego this year 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I doubt it.... but ya never know! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

On the plus side (sorta), my biz trip to South Africa in August got cancelled so it looks like I'll be at ChicagoCon after all! acclaim.gif

headbang.gif

foreheadslap.gif I cancelled Chicago to go to San Diego... you can always pop up to Winnipeg with the Convention halls attached to strip joints.. you can always get the ballet, buffet and books all rolled into one headbang.gif

Why would you cancel Chicago if im going to be there acclaim.gifacclaim.gif

I told him I was going to Chicago, and he dumped his trip to the windy City to go to SD.

It was my fault

sorry.gif

Run in a hotel basement that felt like I was in Hades devil.gif frickin' hot in the place.. classy establishment with a strip joint connected to it 27_laughing.gif

Great report, Paul, and even greater pickups! Those WW are classics! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Steve thumbsup2.gif you going to San Diego this year 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

On the plus side (sorta), my biz trip to South Africa in August got cancelled so it looks like I'll be at ChicagoCon after all! acclaim.gif

headbang.gif

foreheadslap.gif I cancelled Chicago to go to San Diego... you can always pop up to Winnipeg with the Convention halls attached to strip joints.. you can always get the ballet, buffet and books all rolled into one headbang.gif

I told him I was going to Chicago, and he dumped his trip to the windy City to go to SD.

It was my fault

sorry.gif

frustrated.gif now I feel like I picked the wrong show... confused-smiley-013.gif

headbang.gif

It was my fault

sorry.gif

frustrated.gif now I feel like I picked the wrong show... confused-smiley-013.gif

makepoint.gif

Welcome to San Diego. Woot!!!

Party time! headbang.gif

Well, Winnipeg's shows are hardly what most would call conventions. They are more like flea markets. How good they depend greatly on which dealers show up. The "big" one they had last fall ended out mostly being toys and sci-fi stuff only about four people/dealers brought comics and of those four only one had what I would call a good selection of stuff at good prices. The rest were slim pickings and not so great prices. The talent they brought in was all local which isn't a bad thing but only a few were published and none were big names outside Manitoba.

I have found the best shows in the past were the ones where most local dealers attended as well as a good selection of out of home folks and out of towners. Unfortunately this doesn't really happen much any more since the guy who puts on the shows started charging too much money for tables and no volume discounts. They are not big USA convention prices per se but certainly more than many folks are willing to commit on.

One of the locals here used to live in Vancouver and said he liked the shows much better there .. but that was some time ago. So I would pretty much guess that the 'peg and Van are in about the same boat. Calgary's show this year sounds awesome and it surprises me since I find that it has a pretty lousy local scene compared to Winnipeg or Vancouver. Winnipeg has more stores and many better stores compared to Calgary which surprised me considering we are much smaller than them population wise.

Anyway sounds like I missed a better show. I just hope the next one I go to is not a stinker. Just never can tell here.

headbang.gif

Yeah!! Me and my crew will be there too, so you should reconsider SD! poke2.gif

headbang.gif

Yeah!! Me and my crew will be there too, so you should reconsider SD! poke2.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif any chance you could bring your Tec #27 Bill 893whatthe.gif

codfish,

Vancouver is a crazy back issue market. We generally have 3 comic book/toy/pop culture shows here in a 2 month cycle. Just this passed Sun March 18/07, attendance was around 400 ppl for a 1 day comic "fleamarket".

I picked up a low grade Taz Devil (GK) #1 1962, Classics Illustrated 20,000 Leagues under the Sea with green painted shark cover, and a stack of 1970s GA cover prints (not color laser copies) for cheap like this:

hangman3.jpg

I would certainly like to get back to Van with some money. I saw some great books while I was there. The stories I hear about the comic shows there makes me think I would be in heaven for a day. I love the flea market style with lots of choice.

I remember going to a few cons years ago in Vancouver .It was always held in a small hall held by the same organizer.Very limited if not any special guests.If they had more money they could have a great con similar to Seattle.As for Cowtown, I heard '06 con was a such a success,they will be hold '07 con in a bigger convention hall with more guests.

thomas,

Vancouver used to have an annual or semi-annual big 2 day comicon but we could only draw 1,900 ppl locally and from north of Seattle, WA. We were lucky to break even and it made no sense to do over 6 months of promotion/advertising work just to break even. Attendance would drop drastically on the Sunday of the con.