• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats the appeal of some of these newer artists?

27 posts in this topic

I say we see some examples of Hall of Fame art styles versus wierd *spoon*. Somebody post some pics. Another factor to look at as far as realistic artists is which ones rely heavily on ref material. And I don't mean use it frequently, rather which artists can't function without it and use it as a crutch or simply use it as a layout. If you spend any time at a comic con going through Artists Alley and watch the artists work there are those that work fast and those that work slow but the ones that can't work because they don't have reference material to base their composition on are an interesting breed. Would an artist that tends to be realistic in style but draws exclusively from mags and pics for composition be considered better than an artist who has a cartoonish style but can draw at the drop of a hat with nothing more than a pencil and provide a full range of poses and action. (I tend to think not but I am interested to hear what others think)?

Personally I'd rather emulate a hall a famer and try to be one myself someday, then create a whole new way of doing things that will never be recognized.

Jim

Seriously? Creativity is an inherent trait for most artists. Why would an artist want to rehash what was done 30 years ago, when there's plenty of new and different ways to tell a story or create interesting pieces?

If I want to read Batman books drawn in Neal Adams' style, I'll buy back issues. Same with Romita & Ditko. Those artists are famous for having their own unique takes on the medium. If they had been content to simply emulate the Golden Age greats, we wouldn't be having this discussion (and the Silver Age would have been pretty darn boring).

Personally I'd rather emulate a hall a famer and try to be one myself someday, then create a whole new way of doing things that will never be recognized.

Jim

I'd rather do my own thing. I've never understood those that copied other artists. Phil Jimenez springs to mind.

I don't think the appeal has anything to do with a newer artist or an older artist but more the art itself.

My favourite artists happen to be Byrne and Mignola. Mignola doesn't have a traditional style and if he was the new kid on the block today how would he be accepted?

Likewise my favourite artists of today are in no particular order, Humberto Ramos, Chris Bachalo, Skottie Young Damion Scott. I just like looking at their artwork.

Oh yeah as for the question about reference. I have much more respect for an artist that can draw anything at the drop of a hat without reference. That is much more difficult than looking at a picture or reference to draw which is easy. Hey if they can make a living by copying photos and people buy it then more power to them. However like I said, being able to draw from your mind is a talent unto itself.

My favourite artists happen to be Byrne and Mignola. Mignola doesn't have a traditional style and if he was the new kid on the block today how would he be accepted?

I'm a huge Mignola fan as well. I've loved his work since his Alpha Flight days. Very different and yet so immitated since Hellboy took off.

Jim, thanks for posting the topic. I love to see a subject with a little bite in it. While I enjoy the 'show-and-tell' aspect of this board -- I've had a chance to see some great pieces I'd have missed, otherwise -- there are times I'd like to discuss other aspects of original comic art.

I think I can understand your point of view. Growing up with the 'classical' artists, I had my own favorites. Infantino was the guy for the Flash, only Kirby would do for the FF, Swan needed to hold the pencil for Superman, I loved Colan on Daredevil...and so on.

I left the hobby for a bit but came back when the '90s were in full swing. An artistic revolution was at hand! It wasn't all to the good but there was good in it. I still carry some fond memories of McFarlane/Lee/Liefeld and their ilk.

And, I can't help it, I like a lot of the new artists, too. It's absolutely a cartoony style -- but some comic books seem to call for it. I like Campbell and Ramos and Mad. I love Joey Mason (GUN FU, for the few that have read it). I know it doesn't work for you...

...but there are times it works for me. And, as far as the future goes, it really works for my kid and his friends.