• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Getting to the reading part is getting tougher

12 posts in this topic

I'm noticing each new comic book day that I end up taking home books that have small flaws and it's driving me crazy! 893frustrated.gif I can't read the issue till I get the perfect copy (of course then it's not perfect after that right?). insane.gif It didn't use to be this bad, but I think the collector in me is taking over! 893whatthe.gif

I bought a second "Supreme Power" #1 from a different comic book store cause all the copies at the first store I shop at had the exact same dimple on the front cover. 893naughty-thumb.gif The latest "Spidergirl" I got from the first store had a bent staple on the lower left side and now I'll have to take another book back (to which the owner has been really okay with as long as he has multiple copies left).

I need my past self to travel into the future and knock some sence into me! makepoint.gif Or at least to have him screen the new books for flaws so I can just enjoy reading! Help! insane.gif

Did you get the Supreme Power 1 special edition or the regular cover. The Special Edition was of sturdier cover stock so it was in pretty good shape in my shop. I figured that I'd rather read an imperfect copy and beat that to heck by reading it, than opening up a perfect copy and possibly ruining it with my finger oils?

Why not just buy two copies, one to read and one to keep in pristine shape? If you are that worried about the slightest flaw then you are not going to feel comfortable reading the book without inflicting damage.

Just a thought, but IMHO this obsession with the perfect off the shelf modern book is only really relevant if you are planning to submit the book for a CGC 9.8 or up grade. Otherwise slight dings and minor production flaws should not be enough to knock a book below the NM grade.

Don't worry so much about it, comic collecting is supposed to be fun first and foremost. grin.gif

Yep...just read the sucka!

Hell...I've read every book that eventually got 9.6 or above! Most of them lying in bed! crazy.gif

Including my FF49! confused-smiley-013.gif

Hell...I've read every book that eventually got 9.6 or above! Most of them lying in bed!

Do you lie on top of your girly romance comics when you read them? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nope...read everything the same. Sure...I fell asleep and destroyed a few worthless Marvels but nothing significant! grin.gif

Nope...read everything the same. Sure...I fell asleep and destroyed a few worthless Marvels but nothing significant! grin.gif

I'm sure you got 9.8s on those anyways what.gif

I only wish! confused-smiley-013.gif

I did see the Special Edition, but haven't bought it yet. blush.gif It did look cool with the extras added at the end. smile.gif I didn't see it at the first store I go to and there was only one copy at the second store. I'll snag it, uh I mean, pay for it tomorrow. grin.gif

Go figure the ordering process from store-to-store. I guess the only way to ensure you get ALL the good stuff is to know what's coming and ask your store to order it for you.

I'm reading it now. Very cool and truly deserves to be in the MAX line wink.gif The Special Edition has the reprints of Avengers 85 and 86 at the end, first apps of Squadron Supreme. I like the start, but Gary Frank's art just brings me back to Straczinski's work on Rising Stars and I'm sort of sad that he didn't/hasn't finished that storyline off yet?

Why not just buy two copies, one to read and one to keep in pristine shape? If you are that worried about the slightest flaw then you are not going to feel comfortable reading the book without inflicting damage

Don't worry so much about it, comic collecting is supposed to be fun first and foremost

Right on all parts dude! 893applaud-thumb.gif That's why I check in with you guys! You set me on the right track!