• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas CC show report - scans included

3 posts in this topic

http://www.scifiexpo.com/dcc/Next-Convention/Next-Convention.html

All in all, I enjoyed this show just as much as the last two free shows put on by this same outfit...perhaps a little more even. The only downside was the size of the dealer room. It was so crowded in there, that sometimes it would take me 10 minutes to move over to the next box I wanted to look through. It's a good thing the fire marshal isn't a comic book fan.

Me and my girlfriend got there early on Saturday and happened to walk by a small group of dealers getting Walter Koenig's (Chekov) signature. After they dispersed, I went up to talk to him and he gave me a free signed 8x10 for being the first person who hadn't asked him to say "nuclear vessels" grin.gif

I had a very strict spending limit for this show, so I was mainly looking for lower to mid grade (I'm not a high grade nut anyways) bronze horror stuff. I found a handful of HOM's and HOS's on Saturday that fit the bill nicely, along with a few Conans (it isn't horror, but I would *spoon* my pants if I ran into him thumbsup2.gif). I also picked up a low grade UXM #12 for $8. Later in the day, I ran into a dealer that I've talked with at length at the last two Dallas shows and always has great prices on stuff. Now that I think about it, we've never exchanged names...odd. Anyways, he had a Hulk #182 in very acceptable condition on his wall for $50, along with a nice looking SS #4 for $60. Hulk 181 is my grail since I'm a Wolvie nut, but I want one in 8.0 or better, so it's still out of my price range. Still, I was intrigued by the #182, so I asked to flip through it. To my dismay, the value stamp was cut out (albeit neatly). He apparently wasn't aware of this, so he asked how much I would pay. My offer of $20 was countered with $25...I put it back. On my way out, I noticed a FF #48 (another favorite book of mine) with a $125 price tag. After inspection, it looked to be about around a VG+ or F. As I looked it over, the price was reduced to $100. I put it back due to lack of cash and an empty ATM.

The next day, I showed up and went straight to the FF #48, looking to buy, but it had been sold to another dealer prior to opening for $100. After tracking it down, it now had a $200 price tag. Oh well, I then went to my nameless dealer friend's booth to pick up my second choice, the SS #4. It had also sold to another dealer and had doubled in price. Oh well, it was my fault for waiting.

After a few hours of buying 0.50 books to complete runs, I happened by the Titan Comics booth (best LCS in the Dallas area in my opinion) and noticed they had everything half off from the day before, regardless of price. So I ended up buying their slightly less-nice SS #4 along with a mid-grade UXM #13 to match my beater #12 from the day before. Both books cost me a total of $65. I was happy, because now I had exactly $25 left. After a little thought, I had decided I felt comfortable owning the 3rd appearance of my favorite character for $25, even if it was missing the stamp...at least for now. So I went back and picked up the Hulk #182 and left the show happy and within budget. thumbsup2.gif

Almost forgot, Keith's Comics was there with several boxes of donated books that were being sold purely for children's charities. I bought about 15 0.50 books along with a Wolverine #20 WW sketch variant, and UXM #195 (cool Wolvie cover), and an Origins #2 Canadian variant that only cost me $8 due to a strange printing defect on the front cover. The Wolvie completionist in me was pleased...for now.

Here are front and back scans of everything I bought including SS #4, UXM #12 & #13, and Hulk #182 (ignore the 1 to 2 week old moderns in the list...they just show up because they were added to my database at the same time as the rest of them)

Comics from Dallas CC

I'm glad you enjoyed the show. I had planned on going but decided to stay home. I've been to those free shows a number of times before and never cared for the crowded Richardson convention center. I may have been tempted if this event had been held at the Plano center instead. Driving a hundred and twenty miles for the same dealers isn't worth the effort every time. Were the autograph lines long also? It seems like Peter Mayhew is a guest at every show since he lives in the Metroplex now.

I'm glad you enjoyed the show. I had planned on going but decided to stay home. I've been to those free shows a number of times before and never cared for the crowded Richardson convention center. I may have been tempted if this event had been held at the Plano center instead. Driving a hundred and twenty miles for the same dealers isn't worth the effort every time. Were the autograph lines long also? It seems like Peter Mayhew is a guest at every show since he lives in the Metroplex now.

This was my first one of these shows at the Richardson civic center instead of the Plano Centre and it was PACKED. I think there were a few more comic dealers than they usually have at the Plano venue (Titan for example...they never do shows, although they might start with how successful this one was for them). Also, this show was more publicly advertised than the others, in part due to the charity thing with Keith's Comics. Combine all that with a room 2/3rds the size of the Plano Centre's dealer room and you get the the gridlock that existed all day Saturday. As for driving 120 miles, that might be a bit much. I like these shows because I live 10 minutes from both venues. The autograph lines for Ernie Hudson, Walter Koenig, and Morena Baccarin(drool) were steady all weekend, but never more than 30 people long when I saw them. There were about 5 or 6 guys that showed up in full-on Ghostbuster costumes complete with identical, hand-made backpacks and traps replete with accurate lighting and sound effects. I heard Ernie Hudson remark that they were better quality than the actual movie props. Peter Mayhew has been at every event/movie premiere even remotely related to anything sci-fi in the DFW area for the last few years. Overall, I enjoyed it and the price can't be beat thumbsup2.gif