• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who should file claim for damaged insured book?

8 posts in this topic

Seller (because his packaging was questionable) or buyer (because he requested insurance and paid for it)?

I received a book in the mail that was a bit over-graded and clearly bent during shipping. I would have sent it back in any event, but the bend (not a crease... just a 2" bend) sort of clinched it for me.

I'm not sure (as a buyer) it is my responsibility to deal with the comic experts at the USPS who would probably not understand why I'm so upset about a 50-cent comic book ("That's worth how much?").

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

The seller has the blue stub for the insurance claim. He/she must collect the Claim.

However:

The buyer must present the damaged item with the package it came in (Or fill out a form if the item was lost) and present some proof of the value.

A receipt or print out of the eBay page clearly showing the final bid price should do.

After the buyer does this and his/her Post Office agrees to the claim (good luck), the funds are given to the seller if they kept the blue stub. The seller should refund the buyer assuming they haven't done so already.

Don't expect to get your shipping back even if the Post Office damaged your item.

frown.gif

=================================================

If the seller packaged it poorly the seller should refund the shipping too but they are not required too. If the Post Office messed up your package then you are probably out the shipping.

Unfortunatly, the Post Office will take it's sweet time in refunding on a claim. They sure like to hang on to their $$$$, and they do not like to assume responsibility.

makepoint.gif

I guess I'm wondering if they'll even think it *is* damaged since the bend *could* probably be pressed out over time.

I could just imagine them deciding not to honor the claim, me getting the book back some months down the line, and finding that it was used as somebody's coffee cup holder.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Was the book high $$$?

If it was under $20 it may be not worth the effort.

Tell the seller it was packaged poorly and was damaged a little (if this was the case).

Most sellers I've dealt with (I'm careful to buy $$$ items from big feedback sellers) will be happy to give a % refund rather than deal with a return or trying to get a claim through the Post Office.

Maybe you can get 25% or 50% back.

Once I paid $150 for a early Marvel and it was damaged some during transit and I took $50 back rather than returning or filing.

I wanted the book even in 1/2 a grade less.

grin.gif

I should add (just noticed this whilst looking over the ad), that the seller says he unconditionally backs all items sold.

So, shouldn't that imply that he should take responsibility?

I was trying to be upfront about the whole thing (mentioning the slight damage), but I really would have returned it anyhow since I felt it to be overgraded.

Last time I BIN without getting a bigger scan (that "unconditionally" was my undoing).

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

The seller has the blue stub for the insurance claim. He/she must collect the Claim.

However:

The buyer must present the damaged item with the package it came in (Or fill out a form if the item was lost) and present some proof of the value.

A receipt or print out of the eBay page clearly showing the final bid price should do.

After the buyer does this and his/her Post Office agrees to the claim (good luck), the funds are given to the seller if they kept the blue stub. The seller should refund the buyer assuming they haven't done so already.

Don't expect to get your shipping back even if the Post Office damaged your item.

frown.gif

=================================================

If the seller packaged it poorly the seller should refund the shipping too but they are not required too. If the Post Office messed up your package then you are probably out the shipping.

Most of this is indeed correct, but I was reimbursed by the USPS with a check. The Seller already received my money when I paid. I also had the Blue stub portion because the other blue part sticks on the package. I did fill out the paper work stating to pay me and presenting proof(ebay statement) that I paid for the book. I guess the seller can reimburse you right away, but you still have the paper work to fill out. What sucks is that I had to make an appointment, because the USPS postal insurance person is only around for only certain hours.

I was reimbursed for the full amount of what I paid for including insurance.

IT TOOK 3 1/2 MONTHS TO GET MY MONEY BACK THOUGH!!! That was a real

pisser. 893frustrated.gif