• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am soooo all over this (so is Sid, I bet)...

6 posts in this topic

cloud9.gif

linky

OEMING, ROSEMANN ON SPIDER-MAN/RED SONJA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spider-Man/Red Sonja.

Oh, it’s real – a five issue miniseries starting in August from Marvel and Dynamite Entertainment, written by Mike Oeming, with art by Mel Rubi, starring Spider-Man, Red Sonja, Kulan Gath and the Eddie Brock Venom.

From the outset, it sounds like a fairly nutty idea - he’s a modern-day superhero, swinging through Manhattan. She’s a female warrior of the Hyborian Age, at home in a time a place where the fantastic was real.

Of course, also from the outset for longtime Marvel fans, it has a ring of déjà vu all over again.

We’ll let the Marvel editor of the project, Bill Rosemann explain that aspect.

“When you first hear the title it sounds crazy, but when I’ve mentioned the story to those who know their Marvel history, their eyes light up and they’re like, ‘Oh yeah! Spider-Man and Red Sonja met before – and then Spidey fought Kulan Gath in that cool Uncanny X-Men story!’ So Nick Barrucci of Dynamite, being a huge fan of those stories, approached Marvel about getting Spidey and Sonja back together again. Marvel, seeing how nice Marvel Zombies/Army of Darkness was working out, thought this would be a fun (and a surprisingly natural) follow-up. And when Tom Brevoort asked me to join him as the Marvel editorial consultants on it, I jumped at the chance, because like Nick, I have very fond memories of their previous encounters.”

For Oeming, the writer of Dynamite’s ongoing Red Sonja series, the attraction to the project was a simple one: “I get to write Spider-Man!!!” Though, according to Oeming, getting from point A (agreeing to do it) and point B (doing it) took a little while.

“Nick mentioned it to me, and asked if I wanted to do it, I said ‘sure,’ but I had so much other work both with Sonja and Powers and such, I didn’t really think of it, and I kept it out of my mind knowing that with negotiations and such, it could take forever to happen or not happen at all. Once we got the actual green light, my heart leapt out of my chest – not only do I get to write Spidey, but a Spidey/Red Sonja cross over! It all just added the pressure of making it work so it doesn’t come off silly in any way.”

And adding further to that pressure is that, as Rosemann said, there’s a precedent for these two characters meeting – not to mention that original story being done by two pretty top-notch creators: Marvel Team-Up #79, by Chris Claremont and John Byrne.

Oh – and add to that even more, this miniseries is in continuity, and builds on what’s come before.

“We’re all considering this an ‘in-continuity” story that not only occurs after and follows-up on the events of not only Marvel Team-Up #79, but also Uncanny X-Men #190 - #191 the instant classic by Chris Claremont and John Romita Jr. where Kulan Gath transformed Manhattan into a whacked-out version of Hyboria. It featured Spider-Man, the X-Men, the New Mutants, the Morlocks – Kulan crucified Spider-Man in it -- it blew my mind!”

And as for this story? Well, after pretty much having his way with the world in Red Sonja, Kulan Gath sets out to take another bite out of the Big Apple.

“Much like the original, this is about Kulan Gath trying to take over New York,” Oeming said. “He transforms it into a modern Hyboria, much like the Uncanny X-Men issues where he appeared. In the Team-Up issue, it was just Spidey, Sonja and Gath, but here we'll bring in all of Hyboria and a few classic Spidey villains ‘Hyborian style.’ At its heart, this is a love story between Spidey and Mary Jane, with Sonja stuck in the middle. I think that’s ultimately what makes this cross over work, is that its pretty character driven.”

Oh – and that one villain? Technically, according to Rosemann, for continuity watchers, yes, it will be Eddie Brock as venom, but that shouldn’t be taken as a signal that Brock is back in black.

“I’d say the specific time period is a few years ago – because we wanted to include the ‘I want to eat your brains’ Eddie Brock version of Venom.”

Okay, okay – let’s back the bus up here. Time for a little Kulan Gath 101 with Professor Rosemann.

First off, who is he?

“Kulan, a former pupil of Thoth-Amon and a follower of Set, is a power-hungry sorcerer who won’t rest until he’s killed all his enemies and rules all,” Rosemann said. “He’s battled countless heroes again and again in his quest for might. Recently, he returned to life in the pages of Red Sonja and has been causing the crimson-haired warrior all sorts of pain. His followers slaughtered Red Sonja’s family, so she won’t rest until his blood drips from her deadly blade.

“As for this time out, Kulan once again escapes from the necklace that had contained his spirit, and – since he’s one smart and sinister sorcerer – he’s going to prove that he’s learned from his prior defeats. He knows Spider-Man had a hand in defeating him before, so he’s going to target him right away – using a certain She-Devil with a sword!”

And over to Professor Oeming:

“Kulan Gath has found a way to punch into modern day New York once again, he magically transforms the land and the people, polarizing them into their best and worst aspects. In the past, its been established that Spider-Man is immune to this spell for some reason and Mary Jane has a spiritual connection to a very special sword wielded by Red Sonja.”

For even more on Kulan Gath and his previous Marvel history, click here

And how’s this all a…love story between Spider-Man and Mary Jane, as Oeming said?

Oh, that’s easy – Red Sonja is Mary Jane.

“As with the original story, Mary Jane is transformed into Sonja physically, while the actual Mary Jane is buried deep beneath somewhere in her soul, in danger of being lost forever,” Oeming said. “So its Spidey's job to get Sonja to realize she has this other person inside of her, to awaken MJ within Sonja.... not an easy nor safe task mind you. Eventually, Sonja will figure out what’s going on and she's going to have to make a choice about Mary Jane, one that might cost her her life.... or not, because Sonja is a survivor!”

A survivor for whom, a sudden move to modern-day New York ain’t no great shakes.

“Sonja rolls with the punches,” Oeming said. “It’s hard to vex this woman, and if she is, she won’t show it. She's very focused. She and Spidey do not get along. Once they are forced to fight together, it’s difficult for Sonja to take Spidey seriously because he tends to fight with his tongue as much as Sonja does with her sword!

“But Spider-Man – he can be shaken, and that’s the fun of it. He speaks for the reader, but, he's quick to recover, and his wits keep him centered. And as for his memories about encountering these characters before, blame magic - his past memories are clouded.”

Don’t let Oeming’s initial comments about Spider-Man fool you, though – as the writer himself admitted, he was wigged out when the prospect originally came up.

“When I sat down to do this thing, I called [brian] Bendis and said, ‘Holy *spoon*, man, I’m writing Spider-Man, what do I do?’ I asked him to read the opening scene for me which had to be a classic Spider-Man fights street thugs scene, and yet it still needs to be special. He liked it and gave me some pointers that I wont reveal - but they were a big help and I have to say, I’m loving writing Spider-Man. Peter Parker is the best, I’d love to play with the character again, especially as a writer. Drawing those webs are a pain!”

And end of the day? What will this miniseries mean for the two?

Rosemann: “Hopefully the story will add yet another fun chapter to their long list of adventures, and like I said, we’re considering this ‘in-continuity’ – so it counts! Our goal is to produce an action-packed and dramatic tale that stands alongside their classic prior meetings. If we can entertain the readers who dug those tales, then we’ve done our job. It’s a high goal to reach for, but both characters and the readers deserve the very best.”

Oeming: “For Red Sonja, you can bet we’re going to see more of the fallout from this story in her own ongoing series.”