• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adults, not kids, help comics business survive

65 posts in this topic

Someone suggesting getting comic books as "e-books" to solve this issue, and I strongly disagree. frown.gif

The suggestion was made in an attempt to 'further' the field of comic exposure. If a lot young kids are only interacting with general media, etc on the internet, you will need to start there to educate them towards other possibilites.. e.g comic books.

The underlying concept of a serial is paramount, peolpe enjoy following story lines, and this format obivously can be prelicated on an internet format. But set up in a way, if some one wants a 'downloaded' format, the humble comic book comes back into play.

Does anyone else think that another thing impacting comic sales with youngsters is... lack of cartoons? I mean, as a kid I read GI Joe, Transformers, and Spider-Man based largely on the fact I loved the cartoons as well.

There aren't really a whale of alot of cartoons on anymore. And half of them are anime imports. Manga sales are going up in that generation. Coincidence? I think not.

Does anyone else think that another thing impacting comic sales with youngsters is... lack of cartoons? I mean, as a kid I read GI Joe, Transformers, and Spider-Man based largely on the fact I loved the cartoons as well.

There aren't really a whale of alot of cartoons on anymore. And half of them are anime imports. Manga sales are going up in that generation. Coincidence? I think not.

Maybe...but just speaking for my generation of comic collecting (early-mid 70s), it was probably the lack of comic inspired cartoons that had me looking for the 4-color versions. Also, these were the days where cartoons were relegated to weekdays 3-6 PM and Saturdays. Now if a kid wants, they can watch a cartoon 24-hours a day...

It's possible kids with the cartoons didn't/don't feel the need to read the comics if they can get their fix on TV...

Jim

That's my belief as well. My first exposure to super-heroes was through the original Adam West Batman show (gimme a break, I was 4 or 5 at the time sumo.gif) I also remember watching the Superman-Aquaman Hour on Saturday mornings. And I only got to catch Spider-Man whenever I visited grandmother: unlike our home, she had cable, and Ted Turner was showing the syndicated Spidey cartoon on WTBS back then.

By the time I picked up my first comic book in 1971, that was the only way to get a super-hero fix. Superfriends was still in the future (and it was uber-lame compared to the comics of the same period).

So back then: no cable, no videos, only limited Saturday morning offerings.

Now: Cartoon Network, Blockbuster and--thanks to DVDs-- kids can have 24x7 access to things like the Spidey and X-Men movies, the Batman Animated series, JLU, etc. etc.

See that is the issue, in that reading will fade away... .. ..

I for one HATE to read novels or anything like the sort -

Fortunate for me there were comics and articles with illustrations of some kind.

I get bored very easily (it must be my mild ADD) and I am glad that comics were

there for me.

I am sure that there are plenty of great novels that show a struggling individual that

you could easily of care for...

Not to get to cheesy - mine was peter parker.

It would of been very easy for him to turn to crime with all of that adversity that he faced -

yet he didn't.

He found the good within himself to do the right thing

with the abilities he had.

Needless to say, coming from a rough / poor household and upbringing

he and luke skywalker were a good portion of my role models.

cloud9.gif