• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why are there so many comic book collecting Canucks around here?

78 posts in this topic

Last time I heard an estimate on these kinds of numbers, the United States had about 275 million residents and Canada had about 30 million; that's roughly a 10-to-1 ratio. Yet here in the forums, the ratio of Americans to Canadians seems more like 1-to-1, or perhaps there are even more Canadians than Americans.

So why are there so many comic book collecting Canadians around here? confused.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif Do American movies, television shows, and video games not make it across the border fast enough or something? boo.gifstooges.gif

I think we're probably just a vocal minority grin.gif

I also read somewhere that a significantly higher percentage of Cdn households have high-speed internet so that might partly account for the healthy showing.

Switch over to the dark side, James. There's some back bacon in it for you... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif We'll have to increase your [!@#%^&^] length about three inches though. But hey! Then you'll be able to wave it around with gman and shuley 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Funny thing, those Slurpee statistics. You know that the average age of Slurpee buyer in Canada is 29?? 29, for god's sake 893whatthe.gif

You know what that means - whole lotta people buying slurpees to spike with liquor! Which also explains why we buy so many - it's more a drink mix more than a summer treat shocked.gif

Last time I heard an estimate on these kinds of numbers, the United States had about 275 million residents and Canada had about 30 million; that's roughly a 10-to-1 ratio. Yet here in the forums, the ratio of Americans to Canadians seems more like 1-to-1, or perhaps there are even more Canadians than Americans.

So why are there so many comic book collecting Canadians around here? confused.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif Do American movies, television shows, and video games not make it across the border fast enough or something? boo.gifstooges.gif

What are you talkin' aboot, eh? wink.gif

Perhaps because Canada has the highest per-capita of billionares. This translates into a higher degree of disposable income, which could explain the higher degree of investment activity in collectible items such as comics.

But I like to think its mostly because a major comic book publsiher decided to make Wolverine a Canuck, and any comic publisher that decides to create the coolest character in comicdom, and make him a Canuck deserves my interest!! smile.gif

I don't really know, but It has nothing to do with Entertainment. We get all the big studio movies the same time you guys do. I have many of the major T.V Stations from different States(KTLA, UPN, WB etc...). And the winter here in Toronto can get bad, but NY tends to get it worse. And I'll bet everything I have that there's a hell of a lot more to do in Toronto, than there is "in da boonies". grin.gifgrin.gif

Although, Canucka does start getting pretty grim as you climb north. blush.gif

So...basically you are saying...the best mutants come from Canada... ...

Uh................, yep; that pretty much sums it for me! grin.gif

Pay no heed to my biased views Ricky; this is coming from a guy who collects undergrounds laugh.gif

Canada also had its share of creative talent: Jerry Siegel, J Byrne, Todd, Travis Charest, Matt Wagner.

Good point odin88; and not to turn this into a pee-ing contest, but we CANNOT forget the talented Pam Anderson. That is one very TALENTED Canuck, which BTW; I don't mind getting all sentimental about when discussing my national pride goodevil.gif