• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why are there so many comic book collecting Canucks around here?

78 posts in this topic

Perhaps because Canada has the highest per-capita of billionares. This translates into a higher degree of disposable income, which could explain the higher degree of investment activity in collectible items such as comics.

But I like to think its mostly because a major comic book publsiher decided to make Wolverine a Canuck, and any comic publisher that decides to create the coolest character in comicdom, and make him a Canuck deserves my interest!! smile.gif

What currency are those Billions in?

893blahblah.gif

What currency are those Billions in?

That's a good question Polyphemus; when I was doing research on the topic, it depended on who was conducting the research, and what variables were used to compile the research. Private firms like Forbes have a vested interest in publishing research which tends to skew the data in the favour of current economic policy. Stats Canada also compiles this data. But the problem is that Canadian economic policy also has a strong influence on how personal wealth is reported, or a lack thereof. Despite this, it is a well known fact that amongst all Western countries, Canada sways between 1st and 4th for having the highest proporation of billionaires per-capita.

Searching for Wealth/Capacity or Influence Information?

Here are a couple of links:

http://www.policyalternatives.ca/publications/fringenov8.html

Canada: A Great Place to Be Rich

By Jim Stanford

http://www.forbes.com/static_html/bill/2003/polFla.html

Forbes Magazine

This map has a list to search by country name. Canada has 14

entries on the most recent list (but again, this is dependent on whether their data came from the World Bank [uS-based, in US dollars: 15], or Stats Canada (in Canadian, that number rises to 31).

There are many others. Most of the ones I used for my research in the heyday were found only in government library shelves. Its hardly worth noting that access-to-information legislation seems to have oriented itself (at least in Canada) in a direction that seems to be protecting some of the richest people, and their attempts at sheltering income in countries noted for being tax havens.

How's that for 893blahblah.gif

Glancing over some Canadian demographics, maybe the fact that you guys have what might be the lowest population density per square mile than any other country has something to do with all the Canadians on here. Is northern Canada uninhabitable, or do you guys just all live like 10 miles apart from each other? Is that why you guys are on the forums; nobody around you to talk comics with?

Since many US celebrities are Canadian, and it seems that you guys see the same movies, television, and other media we do, is there much Canadian-only entertainment that you know we don't see down here in America? Does it seem to you all like your popular culture is coming from America, or is it something you don't even notice?

Got this PM just now, not sure why it wasn't posted publicly:

"maybe the fact that you guys have what might be the lowest population density per square mile than any other country..."

Thanks for that, I needed the laugh.

Just an FYI, but Canada is almost totally urbanized, with the vast majority of people living in large cities. It's like a mini-Tokyo in large centers like Toronto or Vancouver, with very high population densities. For example, well over 90% of the entire province of Manitoba lives in the city of Winnipeg.

What we have after the cities and towns is huge expanses of wild territory that virtually no one lives in. Where people actually can habitate (ie. non-frozen North) Canada has high population density. We just happen to own a ton of inhospitable land.

Glancing over some Canadian demographics, maybe the fact that you guys have what might be the lowest population density per square mile than any other country has something to do with all the Canadians on here. Is northern Canada uninhabitable, or do you guys just all live like 10 miles apart from each other? Is that why you guys are on the forums; nobody around you to talk comics with?

Since many US celebrities are Canadian, and it seems that you guys see the same movies, television, and other media we do, is there much Canadian-only entertainment that you know we don't see down here in America? Does it seem to you all like your popular culture is coming from America, or is it something you don't even notice?

As for Entertainment, there is a Canadian entertainment industry, but it definetly is not as prominent as the amount we get from across the border. Many aspiring actors/musicians end up going to the States to pursue their careers, simply because there is more potential to go further. Also, Hollywood is slowly invading as more and more movies are being shot here and in B.C. My Ex is a singer, and I know many other young people who are pursuing the entertainment business, and the consensus is pretty much that they want to move to NYC or L.A.

90% of all Canadians live within 200 miles of the border

There is lots of Canadian only Shows here and many that start in Canada first

--------------

Trailer Park Boys

SCTV

Kids in the hall

This Hour has 22 minutes

Royal Canadian Air Farce

Due South

The very first teen sex comedy Porky's was A Canadian film

I don't really know, but It has nothing to do with Entertainment. We get all the big studio movies the same time you guys do. I have many of the major T.V Stations from different States(KTLA, UPN, WB etc...). And the winter here in Toronto can get bad, but NY tends to get it worse. And I'll bet everything I have that there's a hell of a lot more to do in Toronto, than there is "in da boonies". grin.gifgrin.gif

Although, Canucka does start getting pretty grim as you climb north. blush.gif

Hey now, don't pretend it's always been this way. It's a pretty recent development (last 12-15 years). When I lived in Canada, movies used to be typically released 3-5 months after they were in the US, and the only way you could get US tv was through private cable, which was hardly prevalent.

And no, winters in Toronto are not similar to winters in NYC. Maybe Rochester and Buffalo winters are worse, but definitely not NYC's.

I don't really know, but It has nothing to do with Entertainment. We get all the big studio movies the same time you guys do. I have many of the major T.V Stations from different States(KTLA, UPN, WB etc...). And the winter here in Toronto can get bad, but NY tends to get it worse. And I'll bet everything I have that there's a hell of a lot more to do in Toronto, than there is "in da boonies". grin.gifgrin.gif

Although, Canucka does start getting pretty grim as you climb north. blush.gif

Hey now, don't pretend it's always been this way. It's a pretty recent development (last 12-15 years). When I lived in Canada, movies used to be typically released 3-5 months after they were in the US, and the only way you could get US tv was through private cable, which was hardly prevalent.

And no, winters in Toronto are not similar to winters in NYC. Maybe Rochester and Buffalo winters are worse, but definitely not NYC's.

I don't know......there've been a few Winters in NYC that got hit harder than Toronto did. Just this last winter is an example. We didn't get as much snow.

As for the last 12-15 years, I'm sure you're right, but being that I'm 24 It's been pretty equal for as long as I've been a movie-goer. Just speaking about the way it is now. Like I said, you may be right. I can only intelligently comment on the last

10 years or so. My age is showing. blush.gif

And acording to my Mother, she can recall when our dollars were equal.

It's just as hard to tell Canada from the US on that shot of the world at night as it is to tell you guys from us culturally. It seems so much like Canada is another US state, except that you guys might be able to legally smoke pot before we can. blush.gif

It's just as hard to tell Canada from the US on that shot of the world at night as it is to tell you guys from us culturally. It seems so much like Canada is another US state, except that you guys might be able to legally smoke pot before we can. blush.gif

And we can drink/go to strip clubs and gamble 2 years earlier. grin.gif

And we can drink/go to strip clubs and gamble 2 years earlier. grin.gif

AND OUR STRIP CLUBS ARE ALL NUDE WITH BOOZE SERVED

Yeah, I was SO shocked when I first went to Washington and found out that you couldn't get a beer and look at a nude woman in the same place 893whatthe.gif

Only disgusting peepshows (with no beer) and bars (with no nude women)!

What the hell is wrong with America?? insane.gif