• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nostalgia Discussion Shocker

12 posts in this topic

My English 10 Honors students (high school sophomores) were asking what nostalgia was. I told them that it was the warm feeling you get when you remember something positive from your childhood. I told them to think about a cartoon or tv show that they loved as little kids. It would probably generate some positive feelings or thought; especially later in life. I then added that it was the reason why grown men (because nostalgia is more prevalent in males) will pay $200,000 for a Superman #1.

A student then asks me, "What is a Superman #1?" 893whatthe.gif

I was blown away. I then asked the class to raise their hand if they knew what I was referring to when I said "Superman #1". About 10 kids (out of 30) knew that it was a comic book. One student thought it was some kind of "cardboard cut-out or something".

I then polled my next two classes (advanced placement seniors) if they knew what a Superman #1 was. About 50% of my students didn't know what it was; including a girl who had on an old school 70's era Justice League of America t-shirt. This board has probably talked ad nauseum about how the current youth don't know comic books very well, but I was shocked that they didn't know at least this much.

I then let it slip that I collected spider-man. All hell broke loose about the upcoming movie and some kids pulled out spider-man paraphenalia (stickers, watches, wallets, etc.). The characters still mean somethng to them. But a number after a superhero name doesn't mean comic book to most of them. I'm surprised no one thought it was a movie.

I'm bringing comics in for them to read. I need someone to sell my collection to when I'm 80.

I think comics such as anything else takes special interest. One of my sister has a niche for art, and she loves going through my comic books to pick out the ones she will get samples to draw from. I've introduced her to the LCS so she can go pick 'em out whenever she wants.