• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Geppi bought the GI Joe prototype for $200K

16 posts in this topic

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&ncid=716&e=9&u=/ap/20030808/ap_on_re_us/g_i__joe_sale

Here's a snippet:

BALTIMORE - His face may be battle-weary, but the 1963 G.I. Joe prototype is no longer an auction-block refugee, an auction house said Thursday.

The handmade 11 1/2-inch figure ended up capturing $200,000 in a private sale to comic book distributor Stephen Geppi, despite Joe's failure to bring a minimum $250,000 bid at auction last month.

"When this thing didn't sell at auction, I got another bite at the apple, and I thought: 'My God. I can't believe this. This is like a precious item,'" Geppi said in a Thursday interview.

Joe failed to sell even after the minimum bid was cut from $600,000 to $250,000 at the auction in San Diego.

But at $200,000, the comic book tycoon said he was thrilled to acquire the one-of-a-kind item.

"I remember playing with G.I. Joe when I was a kid, and who'd have thought some 40 years later I'd would be buying the actual prototype for this action figure," he said. "It's just a great coup for me."

"There isn't a chance in hell someone gets 600k for a damned GI Joe." -Murph0 on February 1, 2003

"You are all being far too comics pariochial. This is akin to somebody discovering the original artwork to AF 15. No, scratch that. This is akin to somebody discovering the original concept drawings for Superman. I'll bet it blows past the $600K easily." - FlyingDonut on February 1, 2003

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Gene

$200,000 for this ugly POS!!! insane.gif In all probability, he traded a Superman secret compartment ring (that they valued at $175,000), a pop up toaster, a set of golf clubs and two season passes to Baltimore Orioles games for it.

You can buy your very own full sized, real human for that kind of money and have enough money left over to buy a complete wardrobe to dress them anyway you please, let alone in just fatigues!! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

$200,000 for this ugly POS!!! insane.gif In all probability, he traded a Superman secret compartment ring (that they valued at $175,000), a pop up toaster, a set of golf clubs and two season passes to Baltimore Orioles games for it.

You can buy your very own full sized, real human for that kind of money and have enough money left over to buy a complete wardrobe to dress them anyway you please, let alone in just fatigues!! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

thats what I was getting at before... 200K in trade maybe I believe

How about he pays 200K for it for an XXXK reduction in the Heritage fees that he has to pay for so many of his books that have sold through their auctions?

This would be a win/win situation for Heritage and Geppi. They get to advertise they sold the piece with all the positive publicity surrounding that, and Geppi gets to pick it up for no money out of his pocket and now it's very public knowledge that he has it, so hopefully word gets around about it while he searches for a hot potato to buy it.