• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about tears or holes noted on the CGC label.

9 posts in this topic

As an example: If a book is graded 4.0 and the label notes. " large tear on interior page", " small hole through most of book" or "centerfold detached at one staple". Is this factored in to the overall grade?

Will a book with a 3.0 or 4.0 grade with interior defects likely present better than the asigned grade?

As an example: If a book is graded 4.0 and the label notes. " large tear on interior page", " small hole through most of book" or "centerfold detached at one staple". Is this factored in to the overall grade?

Will a book with a 3.0 or 4.0 grade with interior defects likely present better than the asigned grade?

Yes, it is already factored into the grade. The only difference is if the book is in a green Qualified label. In that case, the book is graded as if the defect weren't there, and the defect is referenced on the label.

I figured so but was never 100% sure. Has CGC abandoned this policy of stating interior defects on the label?

I think they stopped doing most of them, but they still do others depending on what they are. The reason they stopped doing them is that some people seemed to question whether the noted defects were being taken into account, and others just assumed that any book with notes was a "lesser" book than a similarly graded book without notes.

For Qualified label books, they always note the defect that resulted in the Qualified grade.

They probably note only tape (and missing interior pieces?) nowadays.

Seems you can even ask them to remove notes.

1724959-notesremoved.jpg

so did you resubmit that book and ask them not to make that note in the label? i'm a bit curious now