• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did anyone Fiddle on Sunday while Ebay burned?

126 posts in this topic

Well I sold my copy in July to clobberintime for around $750 in the same grade. shocked.gif I guess the ending price now will indicate how much of a downturn these books are experiencing. frown.gif

FF 50 not too many seen above CGC VF/NM 9.0 offered for sale.

Which is exactly why it is not a good example! To judge the overall

health of the market, I think it's important to look at the liquid, heavily

collected titles where there are a good number of buyers and sellers.

I think Spidey 1-100 qualify, as Meth points out, for judging the health

of the SA market. But you're right, it will be interesting to see where

this FF ends up...haven't seen too many of those on eBay.

Gene

Okay, even though BlazingBob looks to be propping up the auction right now, let's see if it hits $750. Even though it's a rare one for the era, I still doubt the current market can support that price.

I'm not going to peg it firmly, as someone will probably pay $750 just to end my incredible string of always being right. grin.gif

Doom and gloom. Hate and anger. The wash women of the collecting universe spreading the views of the general collecting population. The "number" of full time dealers in this forum numbers exactly how many? The combined spending power of the board members numbers how much? Except for Mr. Meth and his $50,000 bag of money I don't seem to see many of you on the "Big Swinging D**K" side of the buying house. I see a lot of you in the Wanna Be Swinging D**K side of the house paying some pretty impressive amounts for Bronze age books and modern.

Jay Parino is single handily responsible for the multiples of guide currently coming under pressure! Gee, I got some of the Greg Manning money, Bill wasn't paying me 2X guide for 9.2's. As with ANY business greedy people exist and a lot of dealers took advantage of Jay when he first arrived on the scene. Typical of this hobby the shortsighted looked at sucking every f***k*** dollar out of his pocket. And typical again of this hobby the backstabbing jealous people who don't see a big picture sit on this board and and moan about ONE part of the market. Ebay is ONE part of the market. Conspiracy theory, the Elliot Wave theory, the Bob Overstreet Theory and the CGC theory are dissected to the point where I think many of you would jump off a cliff. How do you all sleep at night? One FF #50 9.2 will determine if the CGC market is falling? Byrne X-Men are selling for guide, gee what else is new? I command you all to shread any Bryne X-Men that don't grade 9.4 or better to make your copies worth more! Now go my minions!

Thanks for that stirring monologue Bob, and I just love it when you somehow equate overspending on funny books with being well-off. I'm inherently careful when buying comics for my personal collection, which is one reason I have a fat bank account.

That's my decision, and I'd appreciate you not referring to those with the business acumen necessary to NOT fall into the CGC fad, as welfare cases. And if you're hoping to kick-start my ego into blowing 10X Guide on a defect-laden Gold Pedigree, I'd recommend you keep that act for your more feebled-minded clientele.

Yup, that's me, propping up the CGC market, all by myself. Shall I declare what I bid on the item, what I would pay? Would it make you feel all knowing and powerful to find out what I would pay for the book if it wasn't in the slab? How many I have in my possession, how many I have owned, how many I have sold. Gee, I only have experience from 1973 to back up what I know but that would make me "old school". Not that I have been through the Nixon "pricing controls", Gas shortages, Paul Volker 20% interest rates, the devaluing of the dollar, numerous Stock markets up and downs, the Start of CGC, the "Bill Hughes" Greg Manning days, 9/11 ( I worked at 140 West Street) and now

heritage.

Wow, I am a legend and thank you for electing me the official Supporter of CGC prices.

Overspend on funny books? Exactly what determines overspending? 10x guide on defect laden Golden Age? Gee, I believe I have 2-5 Golden Age books on my website, I wish I had some defect laden Mile Highs to sell but unfortunately Metropolis and a few others have a better selection than I do.

Please post your official buy list of what people should pay for comic books. I'll pass it out at shows, I'll change all of my prices to what you tell me they should sell for. In addition, please provide me the list of sellers who will provide me the inventory to replace what I sell. Ungraded 9.0's or better at a percentage where I can pay my taxes, cover my expenses at shows and still make a profit. My Mercedes needs some new tires and eating out at fine restaurants is starting to get boring.

And please fly down and grade my comics since I'm sure I'll F**k that up also since I'm in the "CGC grades my books better than yours" elite class.

You know exactly what I'm talking about Bob. You have this bizarre idea that anyone who doesn't want to lay down 10X Guide is somehow on Welfare Row, and that economic prosperity in your hollow little world centers around how much you're willing to tally up for a comic.

Comic collecting is a hobby for me, not a way of life, and I'm not about to lay down $10K for a funny book when that'll get me a serious upgrade to my A/V / home theatre (which I'll be doing in January). Although I enjoy the hobby, I also keep my feet placed squarely on the ground, and put my money where it'll do me the most good.

Since most of the "big stuff" is paid for, that translates into discretionary income for investments, multiple DVD theatre set-ups and comics in that order. grin.gif

Supa, on the FF50: THIS book in VF/NM or better, CGCed or not, is worth FAR in excess of $500!! A TRUE rarity in 9.0 and better condition, and not in abundance in the hobby by any stretch of the imagination. Blazing Bob is no fool to already be the high bidder. With his experience and knowledge, he can separate the rare from the mundane. I too, will be a major factor in the final auction price.

Also..the amount of pages of material offered on any given day is never a good indicator of market activity. This Sunday, there were 60 pages on the ends today list, when I was reviewing the day's offerings, of which 30 alone were NeatStuffStuff retreads.

Watchin' it hell!! Unless FF Jamie gets it , I will probably buy it! Now is the time to buy stuff like that if the price feels right. I was a little off on the O/S price for Spidey 14 - it is $2500 - so the 9.0 went for $500 under guide which for a 9.0 on that book is a really good indicator for a slow market.