• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sale of Amazing Spider-man #86 makes "Scoop"

168 posts in this topic

Whether Scott knows it or not he's raised the bar. Anybody with a nice Spidey #86 hearing about this sale have just raised their prices. Board members are probably scurrying around trying to find this book. Gman is probably lowball bidding his way across the country on any decent copy. Collectors trying to buy this book should probably be complaining, collectors/dealers with a nice copy are smiling.

Of course, this would apply if you actually cared about the issue. Wasn't on my radar before and isn't now. And even if it was beforehand, the price just turned me off of finding one. As has been said, it's not a key and it's apparent ultra HG scarcity is it's only hyping point. Not a game I play. There are too many other comics worth caring about out there to get swept up in the frenzy...

Jim

Whether Scott knows it or not he's raised the bar. Anybody with a nice Spidey #86 hearing about this sale have just raised their prices. Board members are probably scurrying around trying to find this book. Gman is probably lowball bidding his way across the country on any decent copy. Collectors trying to buy this book should probably be complaining, collectors/dealers with a nice copy are smiling.

Of course, this would apply if you actually cared about the issue. Wasn't on my radar before and isn't now. And even if it was beforehand, the price just turned me off of finding one. As has been said, it's not a key and it's apparent ultra HG scarcity is it's only hyping point. Not a game I play. There are too many other comics worth caring about out there to get swept up in the frenzy...

Jim

Just because you aren't willing to buy an issue at a lower price and then turn around and sell it for a higher price, doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people out willing to.

I agree with Bob to an extent that drawing attention to a sale like this will increase all grades for this issue, which makes it more difficult to obtain a copy of an issue that is a non-key issue.

I don't think Scott was wrong or unjustified in the sale, but then again I don't think he really cares much for anyone else or how it might effect them.

Price on the AS #19 9.0 was changed last night from $800 to $725. Unless I'm on Alternate Earth 2 I'm pretty sure it was me who changed the price per the consignor's request. If it's still too high for you than I guess I'm not "fair".

Last time I looked I believe that Consignor's have a right to suggest prices. Using my consignment selling feature doesn't restrict a seller to a "asking price". Are you telling me that I should set up a "Fair pricing algorithum".

Nope. What I have been trying to get through to you is the point that you are not exactly known as a discount comics blowout superstore, so you should not be jumping in other people's faces when it comes to pricing hard-to-find books. In exactly one minute of looking on your site, I found two books that were priced at more than 50% above what those books actually sell for in the marketplace in grade. Note that I am not talking about "multiples" of what Bob Overstreet thinks the book should sell for. I am talking about actual, realized sales prices in the marketplace as the benchmark. I am sure that if I spent some time, I could come up with a few hundred or more books on your site for which this is true. So I don't care if your pricing is "fair" according to my notion of what "fair" is. Every dealer (especially you) has books priced at levels that I do not think are "fair" for those particular books. But rather than call the dealer out, I just pass on the book. If you live in a glass house, don't throw stones.

I just sold a raw AS #86 NM- on 2/26/07 for $175 to a very good customer. Obviously I left a lot of money on the table according to your pricing model.

If you had slabbed it and if it had graded out at CGC 9.2, you'd have squeezed a few more bucks out of it. But did you notice that you sold a raw 9.2 for almost 70% over Guide? It wasn't a pedigree copy. It wasn't even a particularly high grade copy. But the customer was willing to pay quite a bit over Guide for the book.

Whether Scott knows it or not he's raised the bar. Anybody with a nice Spidey #86 hearing about this sale have just raised their prices. Board members are probably scurrying around trying to find this book. Gman is probably lowball bidding his way across the country on any decent copy. Collectors trying to buy this book should probably be complaining, collectors/dealers with a nice copy are smiling. Sorry I wasn't more focused, Spidey #86 wasn't on my radar of being a tough book. Frankly I've heard more about AS #63, 104 being a tough book or X-Men #79. I saw the X-Men #79 9.6 thread, I didn't comment because the multiple was probably around what I would have charged. And quite frankly I probably would have been short on the X-Men #79 9.6 asking price. It's not like I can start a "What should I price this book at thread". Metropolis started a What's a AS #1 in 9.4 worth thread and the ball busting started.

I didn't raise the bar. The bidders who were at $5,000 and over raised the bar. If $4,000 had been the high bid after all the bids came in, I'd have sold the book for that much too.

I have to laugh at your comment about Gman. I very nearly added a sentence in my for sale thread telling him not to bother bidding.

As for ASM#63, that is a toughy. If a 9.8 ever shows up for that book, I suspect that $8,000+ is not out of the question.

Out of curiosity... anybody know offhand how many books produced later than this one have sold for a higher price, in any grade?

I would imagine it's a fairly short list...

Out of curiosity... anybody know offhand how many books produced later than this one have sold for a higher price, in any grade?

Dave Sim's Cerebus file copy #1 CGC 9.4, ASM# 121, 122, 129, Hulk 181, X-Men 94, GS X-Men #1, for starters. House of Secrets #92 in 9.8 would shatter that price -- and would probably sell for around $5,300 in CGC 9.6.

an ASM 104 in 9.8 would probably hit 5k+ too

there are 8 asm 86's in 9.6 (wonder how many of them will be on their way to making their 'full potential' now)

and only 7 Asm 104's in 9.6

104 also sells for more in 9.6 than 86

Whether Scott knows it or not he's raised the bar. Anybody with a nice Spidey #86 hearing about this sale have just raised their prices. Board members are probably scurrying around trying to find this book. Gman is probably lowball bidding his way across the country on any decent copy. Collectors trying to buy this book should probably be complaining, collectors/dealers with a nice copy are smiling. Sorry I wasn't more focused, Spidey #86 wasn't on my radar of being a tough book. Frankly I've heard more about AS #63, 104 being a tough book or X-Men #79. I saw the X-Men #79 9.6 thread, I didn't comment because the multiple was probably around what I would have charged. And quite frankly I probably would have been short on the X-Men #79 9.6 asking price. It's not like I can start a "What should I price this book at thread". Metropolis started a What's a AS #1 in 9.4 worth thread and the ball busting started.

I didn't raise the bar. The bidders who were at $5,000 and over raised the bar. If $4,000 had been the high bid after all the bids came in, I'd have sold the book for that much too.

I have to laugh at your comment about Gman. I very nearly added a sentence in my for sale thread telling him not to bother bidding.

As for ASM#63, that is a toughy. If a 9.8 ever shows up for that book, I suspect that $8,000+ is not out of the question.

I keep waiting for the two of you to break out with an " April Fools!!! Gotcha" post.

But this topic ended up being an actually interesting conversation about how to set a fair price on something that has no known ceiling.

Things I have learned,

Dont spoon on Scott's Marketplace thread unless I am prepared for a throwdown.

Scott does not read the rules of Marketplace before listing an auction

That Bob likes to bust people's bait and tackle sometimes.

If the label say's 9.8, fa' gedda bout it. Just sit back and shake your head at what price it earned.

And lastly, There is no "FAIR", cept in fairyland.

Ze-

foreheadslap.gif I didn't even know there WERE rules for the Marketplace threads until someone mentioned them to me. But then I followed them. angel.gif

Dave Sim's Cerebus file copy #1 CGC 9.4, ASM# 121, 122, 129, Hulk 181, X-Men 94, GS X-Men #1, for starters. House of Secrets #92 in 9.8 would shatter that price -- and would probably sell for around $5,300 in CGC 9.6.

I don't doubt there are other books that would sell higher, if they were found and sold...

But as far as actual sales thus far, I think your list is pretty close to complete. That's not very many, and every one of those books is a legitimate "key"... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

foreheadslap.gif I didn't even know there WERE rules for the Marketplace threads until someone mentioned them to me. But then I followed them. angel.gif

One other thing I learned was not to retain Scott's legal services because

#1 - I'm in Canada

#2 - I will not be responsible for paying your billable hours whilst you post on the CGC forums poke2.gif ( wait a second.. who's paying me insane.gif )

With that.. I will offer you once again $500 American Dollars for your ASM #122 when it hits the market.. and oh yes.. it will... thumbsup2.gif

with that .. I say.. Good day to you sir !! hi.gif

Nah

I will make one comment. Scott, in all honesty no acid being thrown here, but I didn't think Bob's question on how you reached the $8K or the multiple you put as a BIN in the thread was acidic. I, and maybe I'm mistaken, thought he for once wasn't being sarcastic. You did a great job of explaining your logic but went a little overboard in attacking Bob at the same time.

for other non-key but super hard to find copies...i wonder what a batman 227 or detective 395 would bring...Yes they are about 1-1.5 years prior to the asm #86 but IMO even tougher to locate as i believe there are no 9.6s of the 395. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

for other non-key but super hard to find copies...i wonder what a batman 227 or detective 395 would bring...Yes they are about 1-1.5 years prior to the asm #86 but IMO even tougher to locate as i believe there are no 9.6s of the 395. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

When did the CGC census become a barometer of value? confused.gif

When did the CGC census become a barometer of value? confused.gif

when people started paying absolutely astronomical amounts for 'top census' copies