• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Didn't You Bid?

8 posts in this topic

I've been meaning to post this for a few days but life got in the way. I'm hoping you guys can provide a little education in regards to a particular eBay auction.

A few days back, there was an eBay listing for the original cover art to FF #78. A Jack Kirby/Joe Sinnott classic. I came across the listing as the auction was nearing its end. The picture in the auction looked great...and very real. The seller had only a handful feedback comments to date but they were all positive. The seller's name suggested that they built pools -- which actually kinda worked for me. We all know how older original art has drifted off into the weirdest places.

The top bid, only hours before the auction wrapped, was under two grand. Two grand! I immediately began a mental inventory of things I could sell (do I need both kidneys? How often do I use the frig, anyway?) I bid and was immediately topped but that's okay. I was gonna bid big at the last minute.

Then, with about an hour to go, the auction was killed by eBay Trust & Safety. The seller's account was suspended. Something smelled fishy in Denmark, I presume.

Under 2K for a Kirby FF original cover...a classic cover... is an insane bargain. That means -- to me -- that other, wiser collectors knew not to participate in the auction. So educate me. Why didn't you bid?

I've been meaning to post this for a few days but life got in the way. I'm hoping you guys can provide a little education in regards to a particular eBay auction.

A few days back, there was an eBay listing for the original cover art to FF #78. A Jack Kirby/Joe Sinnott classic. I came across the listing as the auction was nearing its end. The picture in the auction looked great...and very real. The seller had only a handful feedback comments to date but they were all positive. The seller's name suggested that they built pools -- which actually kinda worked for me. We all know how older original art has drifted off into the weirdest places.

The top bid, only hours before the auction wrapped, was under two grand. Two grand! I immediately began a mental inventory of things I could sell (do I need both kidneys? How often do I use the frig, anyway?) I bid and was immediately topped but that's okay. I was gonna bid big at the last minute.

Then, with about an hour to go, the auction was killed by eBay Trust & Safety. The seller's account was suspended. Something smelled fishy in Denmark, I presume.

Under 2K for a Kirby FF original cover...a classic cover... is an insane bargain. That means -- to me -- that other, wiser collectors knew not to participate in the auction. So educate me. Why didn't you bid?

The real cover sold for 30K or so recently. Also if you read the listing the seller said it was a photostat of the art which would make it worth less even if it was the published edition. But the fact the original cover sold recently and looked exactly the same made it less likely that it was the original prodiction art

Bluechip, I don't remember the listing as a photostat of the original art (which would make it worth...what?...the price of a xerox?) Since the listing's removed, I can't check it but it doesn't seem like a copy would have been bid up to nearly 2 grand -- or that eBay would feel the need to yank the listing. If someone wants to pay $2000 for a copy, that's perfectly legal.

And could you tell me where the original sold?

hal. i saw the listing and indeed it stated that it was a production stat. now if that your cup of tea. then great. but you had to read the whole thing to see that it was a stat. by just looking at the ad it looked like you were bidding on the real deal the cover.

that,s why the amount was so low and you did not have many bidders. and as bluechip said the real cover was sold not to long ago. it very rare a major cover is sold and a few months later comes back up for sale. it does pays to do your homework if your in the market for that kind of art. there are plenty of old school collectors that will keep you in the loop about that kind of art if your looking to buy. hope this help you out info wise.

larry ;]

Someone posted to the comicart-l that they had originally sold this piece 8 weeks prior and that this auction wasn't his and he stole his image and partial description that he had used. Additionally the auction did state that it was a photostat cover which I think is a mischievous way of saying photocopy. Not everyone seems to understand that a photostat is a photocopy. Now it may have been used to publish the original cover but in all likelyhood not, seeing as how the image was swiped from the original sale of the original art to the cover.

Good thing it was pulled and you didn't get stuck paying exhorbitant amounts of money for a photocopy or worse - nothing at all.

Here's what the auction you referred to said, "Condition: all original stats."

Just use some more due diligence in the future when spending large amounts of cash. I'd feel bad if you or anyone were ripped off from a simple oversight.

So educate me. Why didn't you bid?

I assume this question is geared to those who can actually afford this kind of item?

Because I gotta eat and that's why I didn't bid. crazy.gif

Bluechip, I don't remember the listing as a photostat of the original art (which would make it worth...what?...the price of a xerox?) Since the listing's removed, I can't check it but it doesn't seem like a copy would have been bid up to nearly 2 grand -- or that eBay would feel the need to yank the listing. If someone wants to pay $2000 for a copy, that's perfectly legal.

And could you tell me where the original sold?

I don't know how many auctions ran of this cover, but I saw two. One said it was the original art and ended for something like 30K. Another, which disappeared before auction end, saaid (at least by the time I read it) that it was a photostat used in the production process in 1968. That would be worth considerably more than a copy somebody simply made at Kinko's, because it's first generation and used in production. (Photostat's by the way, were done with totally different machines back then. It was much more trouble and more expensive than it is today simply to make a copy)

This, apparently, was not a photostat used in production, or at least somebody at ebayt didn't think so.